Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tesco Recall - you meat want to read this (Tesco 16 Spicy Chorizo Slices 80g)

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 19, 2020, 02:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Marner and Me on November 19, 2020, 11:24:30 PM
I did see sliced onion in a bag, I thought who ever buys that is fucking idle.

I once went into a Farmfoods and the cashier was bollocking someone for trying to nick a bag of frozen sliced onions. Didn't even know there was a market for em.

Gurke and Hare

Your semi-regular reminder that disabled people exist, and are entitled to have grated cheese and sliced onions.

Ferris

How do tesco find about these things? Is someone checking every batch of every food item they sell for every vindictive microbe they have going just in case? Or does someone get listeria and the docs go "right let's have a look at your receipts from aldi for the last week because you've been sold something honking old son".

And even if they do that, how do they know which foodstuff is the wrong 'un? And that all future batches of that product are tainted?

It's a load of fuss about nothing, is what I'm saying.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 20, 2020, 02:20:03 AM

get brexit done, let people enjoy are great listeria monocytogenes

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

People just get so listerical about a tiny bit of microbes in their food.

Dex Sawash

Someone lost a ring in that batch,  only hope of return is a recall

poo

Why have chorizo when you can have salame? Absolutely cunting mental.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 19, 2020, 11:37:34 PM
Your semi-regular reminder that disabled people exist, and are entitled to have grated cheese and sliced onions.

And the old. My Mum's 82 and it takes her about 2 hours to chop an onion.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 19, 2020, 11:37:34 PM
This had occured to me outwith your priggish attempt to shame, it's pretty obvious these things are aimed at the much bigger lazy market though.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2020, 09:24:11 AM
it's pretty obvious these things are aimed at the much bigger lazy market though.

Said with all the unwarranted confidence of a tabloid journalist.

EDIT: columnist, rather than journalist. I can see Littlejohn in particular saying something like that.

H-O-W-L

I've had listeriosis before, and it sucks real fucking hard. Not the worst food poisoning I've ever had, but it's up there. Immediate jettisoning from all ends.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: pancreas on November 19, 2020, 03:00:52 PM
I happen to think that the people who purchase this product deserve to die.
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2020, 09:24:11 AM
This had occured to me outwith your priggish attempt to shame, it's pretty obvious these things are aimed at the much bigger lazy market though.

Who gives a fuck though? People have money, they exchange it for services they value. If they value pre-sliced food who gives a fuck? Their prerogative. Buy and chop your own shit if it bothers you this much.

Ooergh cunt at your fucking restaurant you letting the chef slice the onion for you? Lazy cunt die get in grave gammon.

Come the fuck on, this is CaBishness at its peak now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 20, 2020, 09:40:38 AM
Said with all the unwarranted confidence of a tabloid journalist.

EDIT: columnist, rather than journalist. I can see Littlejohn in particular saying something like that.

Pre-peeled fruit is usually stocked near the lunch stuff, which to me signifies 'convenience buy' rather than some desire to cater to accessibility.

I don't like your tone but this is to b boring to continue.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 20, 2020, 09:44:09 AM
Who gives a fuck though? People have money, they exchange it for services they value. If they value pre-sliced food who gives a fuck? Their prerogative. Buy and chop your own shit if it bothers you this much. Ooergh cunt at your fucking restaurant you letting the chef slice the onion for you? Lazy cunt die get in grave gammon.

Come the fuck on, this is CaBishness at its peak now.

Take note Gurke this is how it's done.

Buelligan

I'm not anti-preprepared food because the people who consume it are lazy cunts.  Lazy cunts are ten a penny, everywhere you look.

No, I'm anti it because I work in a restaurant kitchen.  It's a high-end restaurant kitchen, with very high standards but even so, I'll take food that I wash, slice, peel, grate or touch in any way, myself.  Thanks.

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno, taking something like an orange and putting it in a plastic box seems way more unnecessary and wasteful than plastic straws for adults were, there's parallels there as they are very helpful for people with certain disabilities and the substitutes all have different weaknesses that make them less good in that application.

Buelligan

I agree entirely.  I was just making a rather unpleasant observation about the perils of pre-handled food, something that this thread's existence testifies to.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on November 20, 2020, 10:43:56 AM
I agree entirely.  I was just making a rather unpleasant observation about the perils of pre-handled food, something that this thread's existence testifies to.

When I worked in manor house kitchen I must say all the chefs were very serious about food handling and hygiene and I never saw anything like the horror stories, although I'm sure they do go on. We did used to put grubby stuff like mop heads and wet floor signs through the dishwasher though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 20, 2020, 02:20:03 AM
How do tesco find about these things? Is someone checking every batch of every food item they sell for every vindictive microbe they have going just in case? Or does someone get listeria and the docs go "right let's have a look at your receipts from aldi for the last week because you've been sold something honking old son".

And even if they do that, how do they know which foodstuff is the wrong 'un? And that all future batches of that product are tainted?

They probably do check receipts, if lots of people are getting ill.

I think there's some random testing involved too. My sister worked for the Food Standards Agency a few years ago and had to drive around to various shops and buy examples of different food for testing. She rang me up early in the morning once (like 9:30 or something) to tell me she was buying a chicken from my local Co-Op. I asked if she wanted to pop round for a cuppa, but she had to naff off to 10 other supermarkets around the county.

Ferris

I've always wondered, thanks.

If I die of listeria, some poor fucker will have to go through my shopping receipts. "He bought how many avocados and crisps?"

Icehaven

If I got food poisoning it wouldn't even occur to me to contact the shop I bought the food from, I'd just assume it was a one-off and bad luck. That's probably not wise is it. I did get a horrible dose of it years ago from a beef and stilton pasty I got from a very nice quaint pre-Greggs pasty shop in Warwick. When I bit into it it was cold in the middle, which was disappointing but I didn't expect it to make me ill, but by god it did. Should have rung them really.   

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 20, 2020, 11:26:25 AM
I've always wondered, thanks.

If I die of listeria, some poor fucker will have to go through my shopping receipts. "He bought how many avocados and crisps?"

They will know you died of wokeness caused by avocado poisoning.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on November 20, 2020, 03:14:12 PM
They will know you died of wokeness caused by avocado poisoning.

I buy the malformed avocados that come in 2lb bags. Take the man out the West Midlands...

Sebastian Cobb

Avocados have a pretty small window between 'hard as fuck' and 'utter mush', you must have to eat a shitload of avocadoes when they get ripe.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2020, 03:20:22 PM
Avocados have a pretty small window between 'hard as fuck' and 'utter mush', you must have to eat a shitload of avocadoes when they get ripe.

Not if you get the Heron-tier ones I do. They range from "serviceable hammer" to "ready to eat yesterday" because they aren't all from the same crop/batch. The fridge slows the ripening process down so you have avocados for a week and there is usually one ready to go as and when the mood takes you.

5 quid a bag, and the nipper loves them. I know what I'm doing, avocado purchasing-wise.

Delighted we're focussing on this and not the crisps.

Sebastian Cobb

Not bad. I've found you can often ripen them in the oven if you wrap them in foil and shove them in at about 90c for a bit.

I say 'found' I googled how to ripen avocadoes and that came up.