Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No 9 - series 6

Started by MigraineBoy, November 19, 2020, 06:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Kurten

"but there wasn't enough reason for him not to."

Only if you ignore the premise of the episode - that she was supposedly a "professional lip reader." The assumption is - I presume - not everyone can do it - even WITH binoculars.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Peter Kurten on June 05, 2021, 02:32:54 PM
"but there wasn't enough reason for him not to."

Only if you ignore the premise of the episode - that she was supposedly a "professional lip reader." The assumption is - I presume - not everyone can do it - even WITH binoculars.

Actually, speaking of, I'm not sure why a high ranking member of Government was an expert in lip reading.  Not exactly a part of her daily job requirements, surely.  Maybe it was just a weird hobby of hers?  "Weekend? Time to indulge in a bit of the old lip reading."

mjwilson

Won the Bafta for best scripted comedy.

Virgo76

Pleased to see this won the BAFTA TV award for Best Scripted Comedy.
The other nominees were Ghosts, Men Like Mobeen and This Country.

Blumf

Thank you cunting BBC for dumping an obnoxious Red Button prompt right over then end of that!!

bgmnts

Eh, wasn't the biggest fan of that episode but every season has a bit of a dud.

JamesTC

Really enjoyed that one. Felt very Twilight Zone.

M-CORP

Well I thought that one was good. Saw the
Spoiler alert
Faustus stuff
[close]
a bit in advance, but I guess that's part of the fun of this sort of twist-based drama, spotting all the clues. End felt a bit abrupt and unnecessary, though maybe I'm wrong, felt there was more to
Spoiler alert
the school bully's death
[close]
. The cast did a great job carrying it.

kalowski

Enjoyed it. Calling the barrister Daniel Webster was a nice touch.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_and_Daniel_Webster

ishantbekeepingit

I really enjoyed that one!  Nice interplay between Jacobi and Shearsmith before the big mid-episode reveal.  Didn't expect it to end when it did, though, felt like it could have done with an extra five or ten minutes.  Also, didn't really understand the
Spoiler alert
substitution thing.  How could he do it without Urban's consent?
[close]

RHX

Nice of them to (WHOLE SERIES SPOILER)
Spoiler alert
have the 'supernatural' episode as Ep 5 this year, rather than the traditional Ep 6, really helped the twist hit even further for long-time viewers!
[close]

Yep. Liked it. Felt very first series. I loved the way it looked too. Lots of great split focus shots.
The
Spoiler alert
falling lift
[close]
FX were a bit naff though.

dothestrand

Jacobi must be the first guest actor to play two roles in Inside No 9?

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 07, 2021, 10:10:53 PM
I really enjoyed that one!  Nice interplay between Jacobi and Shearsmith before the big mid-episode reveal.  Didn't expect it to end when it did, though, felt like it could have done with an extra five or ten minutes.  Also, didn't really understand the
Spoiler alert
substitution thing.  How could he do it without Urban's consent?
[close]

Spoiler alert
I wondered whether it might be that because Urban was a carer for him - he might have some sort of legal status in that capacity, and that there might be situations where Webster could effectively have Urban 'step into his shoes'.  Could be on the wrong track though - wonder if the podcast will explain.
[close]

On another subject, I wonder if the choice of the unusual name Urban had any significance - there were a few Popes of that name.

RHX

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on June 07, 2021, 10:23:32 PM

On another subject, I wonder if the choice of the unusual name Urban had any significance - there were a few Popes of that name.

Urban and Webster are both dictionaries, maybe?

MigraineBoy

Quote from: dothestrand on June 07, 2021, 10:20:05 PM
Jacobi must be the first guest actor to play two roles in Inside No 9?
Yeah, they said previously that as his 1st time was a voice over it didn't feel like a cheat having him back.

jobotic

Keith Urban and, er, Kevin Webster?

Thought that was marvellous. Beautiful to watch too.

Kankurette

Oh sweet, so this was th Derek Jacobi episode! I wondered which one he was going to be in!

I kind of expected
Spoiler alert
Reece was going to be evil,
[close]
but I still liked the way that development turned out. Also, only massive nerds will get the reference, but Steve reminded me of Akuma Homura.

guppypie

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on June 07, 2021, 10:23:32 PM

A reference to Urbaine Grandier from The Devils maybe?

All the first names mentioned- Carl, Kurt and Urban are all German so tied into the whole
Spoiler alert
Faustian
[close]
thing quite nicely.

idunnosomename

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 06, 2021, 03:50:49 AM
Actually, speaking of, I'm not sure why a high ranking member of Government was an expert in lip reading.  Not exactly a part of her daily job requirements, surely.  Maybe it was just a weird hobby of hers?  "Weekend? Time to indulge in a bit of the old lip reading."
yeah I didn't clock this at the time but it is a bit of a hole why someone who isn't actually part of a private investigation service is so talented at lip reading. I guess if you just see her as superhuman Men in Black deep state special ops it doesn't really matter.

oh man I need to watch the new one now dont I

olliebean

Quote from: Kankurette on June 07, 2021, 10:46:13 PM
Oh sweet, so this was th Derek Jacobi episode! I wondered which one he was going to be in!

I kind of expected
Spoiler alert
Reece was going to be evil,
[close]
but I still liked the way that development turned out. Also, only massive nerds will get the reference, but Steve reminded me of Akuma Homura.

The song from The Lion King?

Kankurette

Quote from: olliebean on June 07, 2021, 11:05:22 PM
The song from The Lion King?
The girl out of this movie.
Spoiler alert
She turns into Satan at the end.
[close]

Chairman Yang

I very much enjoyed that considering that I thought Derek Jacobi was only trending because he'd died. I'll have to go back and watch the other 35.

St_Eddie

Quote from: RHX on June 07, 2021, 10:26:19 PM
Urban and Webster are both dictionaries, maybe?

This was my assumption too.

zomgmouse

I'd just finished watching a
Spoiler alert
Faustian
[close]
film
Spoiler alert
(The Beauty of the Devil)
[close]
so it was a pleasant shock seeing the same device pop up here!

Virgo76

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 18, 2021, 08:31:01 AM
As great a bunch of actors as Reece Shearsmith is, his limitations in terms of doing different accents occasionally make themselves known to me. I kept getting reminded of Mrs. Sowerbutts every time his character spoke in this. Does anyone else get this?

This still holds true.
Great episode though. Might turn out to be the most memorable one of the series.

MigraineBoy

On the podcast Reece says the surname choice was a nod to this fella:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbain_Grandier

zomgmouse

Quote from: guppypie on June 07, 2021, 10:53:45 PM
A reference to Urbaine Grandier from The Devils maybe?

Quote from: MigraineBoy on June 08, 2021, 08:31:54 AM
On the podcast Reece says the surname choice was a nod to this fella:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbain_Grandier

Nice one. (But also a bit sad they didn't name a character after Urban Dictionary. Cacking myself at that thought.)

sevendaughters

been watching some older episodes (Bernie Clifton one was great!) as well as keeping up with this one and last night's was the only one I thought was a bit silly, contract law with the devil, sigh.