Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:02:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No 9 - series 6

Started by MigraineBoy, November 19, 2020, 06:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Enjoyed last night's episode until Steve reappeared and then all the devil/exchange stuff went over my head - I didn't have a clue what was going on. Seems like I'm in the minority though - I had a look on Twitter and there was universal praise, including from quite a few people who'd never seen the show before.

Spoiler alert
Sorry Reece. I'm a thicko.
[close]

phantom_power

I was convinced that Reece was going to turn out to be getting revenge on Jacobi for some travesty of justice during his time as a barrister so it was a pleasant surprise when that turned out not to be the case, though the denouement was a bit rushed and confused

Thomas

I liked that - and I was reminded of another great human depiction of
Spoiler alert
the devil
[close]
in
Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert
Ashes to Ashes
[close]
[close]
, complete with
Spoiler alert
descending lift
[close]

Glebe

That was okay, although as has been said it felt it reached it's conclusion too quickly... thought there was something up with Reece's character!

Thomas

I did wonder if Reece might stab Jacobi before the contract could be signed, thereby proving himself to be the more sinful soul.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

I'm ashamed to say Webster passed me by, but it clicked for me when the turning point in his career came with
Spoiler alert
a waite
[close]
author of
Spoiler alert
The Book of Black Magic and of Pacts,
[close]

Rev+

That was by far my favourite of this run.  Having a mixture of styles and influences is great, but whenever there's a 'proper' horror episode there's a bit more of a sparkle in the eye.  If it ever gets cancelled, or even before, an Amicus-style movie with stories like this one would be absolutely banging.

Noodle Lizard

This one felt like it would've benefited from being at least twice as long. It's not their fault, all the good things were there, but the denouement was far too rushed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 09, 2021, 01:31:00 AM
This one felt like it would've benefited from being at least twice as long. It's not their fault, all the good things were there, but the denouement was far too rushed.

Precis

ASFTSN

Quote from: Rev+ on June 09, 2021, 01:13:56 AM
Having a mixture of styles and influences is great, but whenever there's a 'proper' horror episode there's a bit more of a sparkle in the eye.  If it ever gets cancelled, or even before, an Amicus-style movie with stories like this one would be absolutely banging.

Totally agree about the 'proper' horror episodes! Always feels a bit like something special. Although I felt this one could have been a bit twistier, given
Spoiler alert
the barrister's history of devious... defence er...law-ing.
[close]

Have to say my absolute favourite supernatural episode is probably
Spoiler alert
The Stakeout
[close]
, something about the tone, atmosphere and claustrophobic location for that one really did it for me. Really felt like reading a great creepy anthology story

MigraineBoy

While I couldn't have claimed to know what the twist was, Steve playing such a minor role in the first minute just had me expecting his return at the climax.

Indomitable Spirit

This one felt like a special - maybe a Christmas episode. Everything a little more heightened and madder. Would have certainly benefited from that extra fifteen minutes a Christmas episode would have got. Still enjoyed it a lot though.

However, I'm on such high alert for twists that I end up sending myself down blind alleys. I obviously wasn't paying enough attention right at the beginning as I'd convinced myself that Reece's character was some sort of business associate "playing" a nurse, and that he was speaking in a much posher accent in the lift right at the beginning.

I should probably stop looking at my phone so much when I'm trying to watch things.

Icehaven

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 09, 2021, 09:55:06 AM

However, I'm on such high alert for twists that I end up sending myself down blind alleys. I obviously wasn't paying enough attention right at the beginning as I'd convinced myself that Reece's character was some sort of business associate "playing" a nurse, and that he was speaking in a much posher accent in the lift right at the beginning.

I thought that too, particularly as he was dressed by the other guy when he got there as if he was getting into costume. I'll have to rewatch it but it was probably to wrongfoot us into seeing he was obviously running the show and sounded terribly important so we assume he must be another lawyer or similar, then it turned out he was ''just'' the nurse.

Natnar

I was wondering what the aftermath of the episode could be. Would Webster's body be still in his bed or would he just be missing? No doubt that Urban would probably end up being accused of murder or something.

Has there been an episode without any deaths or murder?

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Natnar on June 09, 2021, 12:48:40 PM
I was wondering what the aftermath of the episode could be. Would Webster's body be still in his bed or would he just be missing? No doubt that Urban would probably end up being accused of murder or something.

Spoiler alert
Nana's Party, And The Winner Is, Referee's A Wanker, To Have and To Hold, Empty Orchestra, The Bill, The Harrowing?
[close]

Icehaven

Quote from: Natnar on June 09, 2021, 12:48:40 PM

Not yet in this series, no.

kidsick5000

Excellent. I loved that Mr Wolf aura he exudes in the lift but the mask comes off (or on) for the patient. Shades of The Dresser.
I loved
Spoiler alert
the "better man than I" final gambit. The fluidity of how it all connects. Reece's panic swiftly turning to assure ness, then that sudden recognition from Steve Pemberton.
[close]
Delicious.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 09, 2021, 09:55:06 AM

Yep, that completely threw me. I should probably watch again and try not to overthink it, as I thought this episode was really weak. In fact, the last two haven't really done it for me as much as the first three.

mjwilson

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 09, 2021, 12:53:59 PM
Spoiler alert
Nana's Party, And The Winner Is, Referee's A Wanker, To Have and To Hold, Empty Orchestra, The Bill, The Harrowing?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Sardines
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Spoiler alert
[close]

Surely
Spoiler alert
The Harrowing involves the protagonist dying after that demon enters through her schnizz?
[close]

Quote from: mjwilson on June 09, 2021, 05:58:17 PM
Spoiler alert
Sardines
[close]

Surely
Spoiler alert
they are all burned alive at the end? Not on screen obviously, but that one might actually have the highest body count.
[close]

If I remember correctly, there are a bunch where nobody actually dies during the episode (
Spoiler alert
Cold Comfort, Diddle Diddle Dumpling, Seance Time and Zanzibar
[close]
), but the idea is still featured enough for them not to count.

mjwilson

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 09, 2021, 06:53:26 PM
Surely
Spoiler alert
they are all burned alive at the end? Not on screen obviously, but that one might actually have the highest body count.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Yeah I was I was interpreting it over-literally. (Actually I was probably under-thinking it, I was just thinking about the horrible back-story, which doesn't reveal anyone to have died.)

Why am I putting spoiler tags for S1E1?
[close]

Virgo76

Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert
[close]
[close]

Spoiler alert
There were technically no deaths during The Harrowing but seemed to be set up for one to occur seconds after the episode ended.
[close]
Personally, I don't like the show so much when it goes for all-out horror. The Harrowing was the worst example of this (despite the presence of the excellent Helen McCrory, RIP). I guess it's a matter of taste.

Incidentally, I was surprised to hear Reece and Steve (well. Reece anyway, I think) say on the podcast that they they considered last week's Hurry Up and Wait to be one of the funniest episodes yet.
What do other people consider to be the funniest episode?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 10, 2021, 05:47:07 AM
What do other people consider to be the funniest episode?

It feels wrong to choose the Psychoville call-back episode, so I'll say A Quiet Night In.

SteveDave

Whilst looking at the list of episodes on Wikipedia it says that Derek Jacobi was the voice of the director in "The Devil Of Christmas". So is he the first non-Steve or Reece person to be in 2 episodes?

Thomas

Quote from: SteveDave on June 10, 2021, 09:27:33 AM
Whilst looking at the list of episodes on Wikipedia it says that Derek Jacobi was the voice of the director in "The Devil Of Christmas". So is he the first non-Steve or Reece person to be in 2 episodes?

Yep - they discuss breaking their single appearance 'rule' in the podcast. They decided it was fair because he didn't actually appear onscreen in Devil.

Kankurette

Zanzibar was probably the funniest for me. And Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room.

Leej88

None of these episodes have been funny like someone else said I keep waiting for the twist and maybe it is cause they filmed with Corona going on but they all feel like small episodes same lighting too much darkness etc.

BeardFaceMan

If we're just talking humour, 1st ep of this series has been the funniest one of the series so far for me.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 10, 2021, 05:00:11 PM
If we're just talking humour, 1st ep of this series has been the funniest one of the series so far for me.

Genuine question, hadn't you heard all of the jokes tens of times previously?

BeardFaceMan

Yes, that's why I liked them, it was that sort of episode. And they were delivered and executed perfectly.