Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,338
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No 9 - series 6

Started by MigraineBoy, November 19, 2020, 06:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 10, 2021, 05:42:49 PM
Yes, that's why I liked them, it was that sort of episode. And they were delivered and executed perfectly.

Fair play.

BeardFaceMan

You've also got to admire the balls on them for doing an episode filled with those sort of jokes and going all in on it. And pairing it with a comedy style that probably only drama students and teachers are going to understand too (that stuff went over my head anyway), it was a bold move and they pulled it off. A properly silly half hour.

olliebean

Quote from: RHX on June 07, 2021, 10:12:56 PM
Nice of them to (WHOLE SERIES SPOILER)
Spoiler alert
have the 'supernatural' episode as Ep 5 this year, rather than the traditional Ep 6, really helped the twist hit even further for long-time viewers!
[close]

Just got around to listening to the podcast, and they clearly thought when they recorded it that this one was going to be
Spoiler alert
episode 6
[close]

idunnosomename

just watched that and I had to say it was great, although my west-facing laptop screen made some of it hard to see, but I'll watch it again. it's how the opening device of the lift paid off I really enjoyed

hardly any laughs but who cares. I suppose there were the references to
Spoiler alert
Frozen
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Hetty Wainthropp Investigates
[close]

oh and the other thing that was superb was the soundtrack. the reverby strings, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto as diegesis, and then the big climatic stuff, great stuff. not that there's been a lack of this in other episodes

ps that mock Game of Thrones theme in ep2 - it's based on Kraftwerk - Das Model, isn't it? Is this too obvious to say

Natnar

Quote from: SteveDave on June 10, 2021, 09:27:33 AM
Whilst looking at the list of episodes on Wikipedia it says that Derek Jacobi was the voice of the director in "The Devil Of Christmas". So is he the first non-Steve or Reece person to be in 2 episodes?

I guess technically Dennis Lawson has been in 2 episodes since they showed a bit of A Quiet Night In during the Halloween episode.

Leej88

They have used mostly all the British actors in the industry.

RHX

For a second there, I thought Reece was Tommy Tiernan

What the actual fuck was that?

Kankurette

ishantbekeepingit

It was great, is what it was.  Don't think it was primarily about any political agenda, despite what the previews implied, but it definitely kept me entertained the whole way through.

Kankurette

At least the Remainer guy was also a massive douchebag, I guess. Makes me wish they'd ended the series with How Do You Plead? instead.

M-CORP

Well, if you're gonna do a series finale, of course have
Spoiler alert
an immigrant shows up who may or may not be Jesus, the little kid overdosing on alcohol, and the family tearing itself apart... only for good old-fashioned patriotic songs to distract everyone and make them forget the more important things happening closer to home.
[close]
Which I think was the point, a warning against being wrapped up in ideology and tradition, as opposed to seeing the world with your own eyes. And as someone who tends to be on the headphones, I sympathised with
Spoiler alert
Oliver, and the bit where he had his headphones ripped out
[close]
, relate to that kind of conversation. I really enjoyed that, though some nitpicks - the satire might be a couple of years too late, and the dementia was maybe played too much for laughs (at least until the last 5 minutes).

Kankurette

I also sympathised with Oliver as a mard arse teenager who didn't enjoy being made to watch TV with my parents.

I'm still agog. What a patronising piece of othering, utterly unmotivated, unsubtle wank.

Kankurette

Yeah, I kind of figured people weren't going to be happy about the pro-Brexit characters. Though like I said, the Remainer character is an arrogant, possibly abusive shitbag so it's not Brexiters = bad, Remainers = good. I mean,
Spoiler alert
he's the one who knifed Jesus in the stomach multiple times.
[close]

JamesTC

I bet you're hating this on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum aren't you?

Captain Z

Yet another CaB shout out! Some of that dialogue must have been plagiarised from various Brexit threads.

olliebean

Not sure that one was worth waiting the extra half hour for, tbh. Unless there's another one I've forgotten, I think that may have been my least favourite episode ever.

Apart from anything else, you could see what was coming a mile off, as soon as
Spoiler alert
the fork got put down next to the guy with dementia
[close]

jobotic

Shearsmith's character was a lot more unpleasant than Pemberton's wasn't he? The Brexit angle was a bit bollocks but fucking hell if we're not saluting pictures of the Queen in the staff room we're woke traitors these days. These days.

Don't like jokes about women wanting strangers to have their way with them. But
Spoiler alert
Jesus
[close]
is a charasmatic chap. Or was it deliberately dated humour at times?

I really enjoyed it despite the flaws.

DrGreggles

I probably missed something clever, as I thought that was shite.
Disappointing end to what has been a decent series.

JamesTC

Atrocious. Hated it. Sorry Reece.

idunnosomename

I think that's the most of a Last Night I've ever seen

I mean I didn't think it was bad. I didn't think it was great either. especially the "I bet you're loving this if you know the dialogue of the Passion from the Gospels" bits, which were so fucking on the nose. oh immigrants, you are like Jesus. Brexiteers and gay Remainers dont know your soft Messianic olive skin

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: olliebean on June 14, 2021, 11:02:14 PM
Apart from anything else, you could see what was coming a mile off, as soon as
Spoiler alert
the fork got put down next to the guy with dementia
[close]

Spoiler alert
Chekhov's pitchfork.
[close]

I liked that episode. A broad, heightened microcosm of Brexit Britain - it's not as if Reece and Steve were aiming for a piece of subtle sociopolitical satire. It was a big angry farce.*

My only real complaint is Reece's character being
Spoiler alert
a closeted homosexual, which struck me as a very dodgy way of explaining why he was so angry and bitter. Although I did like the fact that he turned out to be a total hypocrite when faced with the immigrant character. Again, not subtle, but amusing.
[close]

* A bit like Brexit Britain, amiright folks?

jobotic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 14, 2021, 11:11:56 PM

My only real complaint is Reece's character being
Spoiler alert
a closeted homosexual, which struck me as a very dodgy way of explaining why he was so angry and bitter. Although I did like the fact that he turned out to be a total hypocrite when faced with the immigrant character. Again, not subtle, but amusing.
[close]

They've used that idea before haven't they? Bit tiresome.

ishantbekeepingit

Was Reece meant to be closeted last week?   He seemed pretty open to me.

JamesTC

He was a closeted
Spoiler alert
murderer
[close]
last week.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on June 14, 2021, 11:22:44 PM
Was Reece meant to be closeted last week?   He seemed pretty open to me.

Reece's character in last week's episode definitely wasn't trying to disguise his sexual orientation. Him being gay had nothing to do with
Spoiler alert
murdering a boy in the playground; I really don't think they were trying to imply that his sexuality was a factor in that
[close]