Author Topic: Inside No 9 - series 6  (Read 54536 times)

Re: Inside No 9 - series 6
« Reply #690 on: June 10, 2021, 05:52:12 PM »
Yes, that's why I liked them, it was that sort of episode. And they were delivered and executed perfectly.

Fair play.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #691 on: June 10, 2021, 07:35:13 PM »
You've also got to admire the balls on them for doing an episode filled with those sort of jokes and going all in on it. And pairing it with a comedy style that probably only drama students and teachers are going to understand too (that stuff went over my head anyway), it was a bold move and they pulled it off. A properly silly half hour.

« Reply #692 on: June 10, 2021, 08:12:45 PM »
Nice of them to (WHOLE SERIES SPOILER) have the 'supernatural' episode as Ep 5 this year, rather than the traditional Ep 6, really helped the twist hit even further for long-time viewers!

Just got around to listening to the podcast, and they clearly thought when they recorded it that this one was going to be episode 6.

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #693 on: June 10, 2021, 08:16:27 PM »
just watched that and I had to say it was great, although my west-facing laptop screen made some of it hard to see, but I'll watch it again. it's how the opening device of the lift paid off I really enjoyed

hardly any laughs but who cares. I suppose there were the references to Frozen and Hetty Wainthropp Investigates

oh and the other thing that was superb was the soundtrack. the reverby strings, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto as diegesis, and then the big climatic stuff, great stuff. not that there's been a lack of this in other episodes

ps that mock Game of Thrones theme in ep2 - it's based on Kraftwerk - Das Model, isn't it? Is this too obvious to say
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:30:44 PM by idunnosomename »

« Reply #694 on: June 10, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »
Whilst looking at the list of episodes on Wikipedia it says that Derek Jacobi was the voice of the director in "The Devil Of Christmas". So is he the first non-Steve or Reece person to be in 2 episodes?

I guess technically Dennis Lawson has been in 2 episodes since they showed a bit of A Quiet Night In during the Halloween episode.

« Reply #695 on: June 10, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
They have used mostly all the British actors in the industry.

RHX

« Reply #696 on: June 14, 2021, 10:04:42 PM »
For a second there, I thought Reece was Tommy Tiernan

« Reply #697 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:54 PM »
Fuck were that???

« Reply #698 on: June 14, 2021, 10:30:22 PM »
What the actual fuck was that?

« Reply #699 on: June 14, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »
That was...weird.

« Reply #700 on: June 14, 2021, 10:31:50 PM »
It was great, is what it was.  Don't think it was primarily about any political agenda, despite what the previews implied, but it definitely kept me entertained the whole way through.

« Reply #701 on: June 14, 2021, 10:32:10 PM »
It was both shit and vile.

« Reply #702 on: June 14, 2021, 10:33:11 PM »
At least the Remainer guy was also a massive douchebag, I guess. Makes me wish they'd ended the series with How Do You Plead? instead.

« Reply #703 on: June 14, 2021, 10:39:06 PM »
Well, if you're gonna do a series finale, of course have an immigrant shows up who may or may not be Jesus, the little kid overdosing on alcohol, and the family tearing itself apart... only for good old-fashioned patriotic songs to distract everyone and make them forget the more important things happening closer to home. Which I think was the point, a warning against being wrapped up in ideology and tradition, as opposed to seeing the world with your own eyes. And as someone who tends to be on the headphones, I sympathised with Oliver, and the bit where he had his headphones ripped out, relate to that kind of conversation. I really enjoyed that, though some nitpicks - the satire might be a couple of years too late, and the dementia was maybe played too much for laughs (at least until the last 5 minutes).

« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2021, 10:40:20 PM »
I also sympathised with Oliver as a mard arse teenager who didn't enjoy being made to watch TV with my parents.

« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
I’m still agog. What a patronising piece of othering, utterly unmotivated, unsubtle wank.

« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2021, 10:48:23 PM »
Yeah, I kind of figured people weren't going to be happy about the pro-Brexit characters. Though like I said, the Remainer character is an arrogant, possibly abusive shitbag so it's not Brexiters = bad, Remainers = good. I mean, he's the one who knifed Jesus in the stomach multiple times.

« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
I bet you're hating this on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forum aren't you?

Captain Z

• Die Hard or Die Tryin'
« Reply #708 on: June 14, 2021, 11:00:08 PM »
Yet another CaB shout out! Some of that dialogue must have been plagiarised from various Brexit threads.

« Reply #709 on: June 14, 2021, 11:02:14 PM »
Not sure that one was worth waiting the extra half hour for, tbh. Unless there's another one I've forgotten, I think that may have been my least favourite episode ever.

Apart from anything else, you could see what was coming a mile off, as soon as the fork got put down next to the guy with dementia.

« Reply #710 on: June 14, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »
Shearsmith's character was a lot more unpleasant than Pemberton's wasn't he? The Brexit angle was a bit bollocks but fucking hell if we're not saluting pictures of the Queen in the staff room we're woke traitors these days. These days.

Don't like jokes about women wanting strangers to have their way with them. But Jesus is a charasmatic chap. Or was it deliberately dated humour at times?

I really enjoyed it despite the flaws.

« Reply #711 on: June 14, 2021, 11:08:18 PM »
I probably missed something clever, as I thought that was shite.
Disappointing end to what has been a decent series.

« Reply #712 on: June 14, 2021, 11:09:45 PM »
Atrocious. Hated it. Sorry Reece.

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #713 on: June 14, 2021, 11:11:36 PM »
I think that's the most of a Last Night I've ever seen

I mean I didn't think it was bad. I didn't think it was great either. especially the "I bet you're loving this if you know the dialogue of the Passion from the Gospels" bits, which were so fucking on the nose. oh immigrants, you are like Jesus. Brexiteers and gay Remainers dont know your soft Messianic olive skin

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #714 on: June 14, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »
Apart from anything else, you could see what was coming a mile off, as soon as the fork got put down next to the guy with dementia.

Chekhov's pitchfork.

I liked that episode. A broad, heightened microcosm of Brexit Britain - it's not as if Reece and Steve were aiming for a piece of subtle sociopolitical satire. It was a big angry farce.*

My only real complaint is Reece's character being a closeted homosexual, which struck me as a very dodgy way of explaining why he was so angry and bitter. Although I did like the fact that he turned out to be a total hypocrite when faced with the immigrant character. Again, not subtle, but amusing.

* A bit like Brexit Britain, amiright folks?

« Reply #715 on: June 14, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »

My only real complaint is Reece's character being a closeted homosexual, which struck me as a very dodgy way of explaining why he was so angry and bitter. Although I did like the fact that he turned out to be a total hypocrite when faced with the immigrant character. Again, not subtle, but amusing.

They've used that idea before haven't they? Bit tiresome.

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #716 on: June 14, 2021, 11:18:24 PM »
yeah, last week

« Reply #717 on: June 14, 2021, 11:22:44 PM »
Was Reece meant to be closeted last week?   He seemed pretty open to me.

« Reply #718 on: June 14, 2021, 11:26:18 PM »
He was a closeted murderer last week.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #719 on: June 14, 2021, 11:29:23 PM »
Was Reece meant to be closeted last week?   He seemed pretty open to me.

Reece's character in last week's episode definitely wasn't trying to disguise his sexual orientation. Him being gay had nothing to do with murdering a boy in the playground; I really don't think they were trying to imply that his sexuality was a factor in that.

Tags: