Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tories shaft the public sector again

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 20, 2020, 10:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMillions of public sector workers in England could face a pay freeze next year, the BBC has learned.

The 5.5 million affected include key workers lauded for their service during the pandemic, from the armed forces and police, to teachers and civil servants.

But it is expected that NHS workers would be exempt from a freeze, to reflect efforts during the pandemic.

The Treasury is trying to bolster public finances after a huge rise in spending to fight coronavirus...

It is ironic that billions will be spent on the armed forces but that doesn't include actually paying the armed forces fairly. Teachers already work well over their contracted hours and have been among the workers most at risk during the pandemic, especially given how large class sizes are.

The idea of parity between public sector and private sector workers seems to be to ensure that everyone is struggling at the same level - rather than doing something to help private sector workers, Sunak's solution is to make things harder for public sector workers to appease the public sector hating tabloid press and their friends.

Ironic that MPs won't be included in this public sector pay freeze (although I think ministers' salaries will be frozen).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55011477

thugler

This has been going on for a long time. Freezes, cuts to terms and conditions and other fuckery. I used to work in the public sector and we got fucked around, told massive cuts would be made of like 30% of staff. Plus recruitment freezes on top of that so we couldn't replace people either. They spent ages paying out redundancy making people reapply for their jobs, and trying to outsource stuff to the private sector., most of which fell through after tons of money had been paid out Eventually they ended up having to re-hire people or get in contractors on inflated wages to fill in for the people they'd paid off. All in all it cost a lot more than just keeping people and giving them a payrise would ever have done. It's like the tories favourite punching bag they go back to every few years after claiming that the pain is over.

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 20, 2020, 10:27:00 AMThe idea of parity between public sector and private sector workers seems to be to ensure that everyone is struggling at the same level - rather than doing something to help private sector workers, Sunak's solution is to make things harder for public sector workers to appease the public sector hating tabloid press and their friends.

Yep, for all the talk of "levelling up," the Tories' actual instincts will always be to level down.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBut some private sector workers said a pay freeze seemed fair, when so many outside the public sector are struggling.

Victoria Farley, who has run a tea room in Cumbria for 12 years, said she was set to "lose everything" at the moment.

"I've had no income, [and] had to make all my staff redundant. They say we're all in it together but we're clearly not. I'd love to be in steady work with a pension like public sector workers."

I'm not sure how public sector workers being paid less would benefit people like Farley.
Also, does Farley not think that public sector workers might be among those spending money in her tearoom and a pay freeze would make it less likely for them to afford to go to the tea room?

Pink Gregory

Divide and rule divide and rule divide and fucking rule.  Cunts.