Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fairytale of New York - cancelled

Started by Johnny Textface, November 20, 2020, 11:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Have you heard the song in question? It is the only time I have ever heard it pronounced like that so I assumed it was the other word he was using, rhyming with rough, rather than hoof

Jockice

JaDanketies

Quote from: phantom_power on November 25, 2020, 01:12:06 PM
Have you heard the song in question? It is the only time I have ever heard it pronounced like that so I assumed it was the other word he was using, rhyming with rough, rather than hoof

up north I never heard anyone say poof rhyming with hoof. It always rhymed with rough. Poofter sounds like puffter for instance. The anti-gay slur does not sound like the footrest pouffe.

pigamus

Footrest Pouffe is a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company

gilbertharding

Quote from: pigamus on November 25, 2020, 12:37:06 AM
I was always very confused by "pooves" plural, God knows how you go about pronouncing that

The plural of 'roof' is 'rooves' in old dictionaries. It's pronounced the same as roofs, but with a v instead of an f sound.

grainger

Online, I've noticed that Americans often like to express the idea of something happening suddenly with the word "poof!", which always causes a double-take from me before I realise the word isn't offensive there.

For this rendition, Gary Barlow, Dawn French and some slebs pretend to mess that part of the song up, to get out of having to sing it.

https://youtu.be/riN4M_x0pj4

Would surely be better if they just chose a different song.

EDIT: Just watched the video to the end. It's actually a skit that ends with the F***** line being belted out. Probably wasn't even that long ago.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 26, 2020, 03:09:58 AM
For this rendition, Gary Barlow, Dawn French and some slebs pretend to mess that part of the song up, to get out of having to sing it.

https://youtu.be/riN4M_x0pj4

Would surely be better if they just chose a different song.

EDIT: Just watched the video to the end. It's actually a skit that ends with the F***** line being belted out. Probably wasn't even that long ago.

Christ alive. Everything about that is dreadful. Barlow doing a shit McGowan impression, the audience doing that awful clapping on the 1 and 3 that white folk do, and the Vicar of Dibley.

phantom_power

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 26, 2020, 04:01:50 AM
A clear example of the word's pronunciation.

https://youtu.be/K5cUxawA_6w

But that isn't how Jilted John pronounces it, hence the confusion

jobotic

Isn't the joke that JJ doesn't know how to pronounce it properly?

Surely the fact that he can't be a puff because he's more of a man than you'll ever be is more troublesome? At least if all this wasn't meant to be coming from two idiot characters.

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on November 26, 2020, 09:32:19 AM
Isn't the joke that JJ doesn't know how to pronounce it properly?

Surely the fact that he can't be a puff because he's more of a man than you'll ever be is more troublesome? At least if all this wasn't meant to be coming from two idiot characters.

It's not really my call. Disability dialect's more my expertise (and that can be incredibly complicated) so if someone gay (or female come to think of it) objects to the words used who am I to argue? I still think it's a great GREAT single though. And he was head boy of the school at the top of my road. Plus my real name's John and I've been jilted several times. I love it. Unlike Fairytale etc, I'll never get fed up of hearing it.

JaDanketies

With Jilted John and Fairytale of New York, you can at least say that you're not supposed to necessarily like the people who are using the (alleged) slurs.

Jockice

Quote from: grainger on November 25, 2020, 08:01:09 PM
Online, I've noticed that Americans often like to express the idea of something happening suddenly with the word "poof!", which always causes a double-take from me before I realise the word isn't offensive there.

They can stick that up their fannies.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Jockice on November 26, 2020, 12:07:16 PM

They can stick that up their fannies.

That's usually how they "cure" them at those bible camps.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Cuellar

Its value is entirely bound up in that one word? Would have been a lot simpler for everyone if she'd just recorded that word then.

"And now, the perennial christmas favourite: Kirsty MacColl saying the word faggot"
"Faggot"
"Lovely!"

GoblinAhFuckScary

tHeSe DaYs ya CAN't eVen Bash Thee QuuuuUUers AnyYmirore

machotrouts

Why can't these cunts devote their energy to something useful, like campaigning for 'Faggot' by Mindless Self Indulgence to be uploaded to Spotify

phantom_power

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 01, 2020, 03:57:41 PM
YAAAWWWNNN if Cave wasn't already so much of a pissing blowhard already

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/dec/01/nick-cave-accuses-bbc-of-mutilating-fairytale-of-new-york

Outlaw spirit? Stupid cunt. It is a Christmas song, albeit quite a dark one at heart

Ferris

Jolly old Saint Nick just covering himself in case anyone reads the lyrics to his version of Stagger Lee

machotrouts

If I don't hear I'm A Bad Motherfucker Don't You Know And I'll Crawl Over Fifty Good Pussies Just To Get To One Fat Boy's Asshole fully uncensored on daytime radio by the end of December I will kill myself

Ferris

To be fair the re-dubbed version is a travesty.

Quote from: machotrouts on December 01, 2020, 06:41:36 PM
I'm A Bad Homebaker Don't You Know And I'll Crawl Over Fifty Nice Puddings Just To Get To One Fat Boys Jam Roll

Pink Gregory

Outlaw spirit.

Hearing slurs on mainstream radio.

Shut up and keep collecting teatowels, Nick.

chveik

you'd think Nick Cave of all people wasn't such a melt, but that's the world we live in now.

Goldentony

Nick Cave was an 80s goth, a 90s ponce and now he's got his full collection by combining both in the outskirts of Hove, add all the smack and lad poets and i'm afraid it's spectacular he lasted this long tbh

idunnosomename

bAck KIN my day we had CHRISTMAS SONGS where every OTHER WORD was FAGGOT

when faggot got stuckin the faggot chimbly
the faggot began to shout (like a fag)
you fucking faggots wont fucking get nowt
if you dont get this faggot out of of this faggot chimbley