Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fairytale of New York - cancelled

Started by Johnny Textface, November 20, 2020, 11:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Goldentony on December 02, 2020, 07:24:53 PM
Nick Cave was an 80s goth, a 90s ponce and now he's got his full collection by combining both in the outskirts of Hove, add all the smack and lad poets and i'm afraid it's spectacular he lasted this long tbh

yeah fair enough. I think he's lost it after The Good Son so I have no idea what he's been up to since quite some time.

scarecrow

Have any of you watched the Julian Temple documentary yet?

It's really misjudged, I think. The first hour is on MacGowan's childhood in Tipperary, and is packed full of probably made-up, self-mythologising anecdotes. The second half whizzes through the Shane O'Hooligan and Pogues years without going into any detail. The Popes albums are skimmed over in seconds. The scenes of Johnny Depp chatting to the singer are excruciating, and Bobby Gillespie contributes nothing. Gerry Adams is a better interlocutor, but his involvement feels at odds with the tone Temple was going for. None of the Pogues feature. Though MacGowan says he never wanted to be singled out from the others or portrayed as the genius of the band, that's exactly what happens here. It ultimately feels quite dishonest.

There's a really compelling story to be told about SM, but this feels like an exercise in keeping his brand alive in the absence of new product. I'd love to see a thorough documentary on the Pogues that wasn't produced by MacGowan's wife and his posturing celebrity drinking buddy.

wosl

Quote from: scarecrow on December 10, 2020, 02:42:45 AMBobby Gillespie contributes nothing.

A given for so long that notice is only called for when he outright detracts from something.