Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fairytale of New York - cancelled

Started by Johnny Textface, November 20, 2020, 11:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Maybe already mentioned but didn't Shane MacGowan also say he'd been beaten to number one by two queers and a drum machine 

Johnny Textface

Quote from: pigamus on November 20, 2020, 05:02:09 PM
Maybe already mentioned but didn't Shane MacGowan also say he'd been beaten to number one by two queers and a drum machine 

"Queer" is fine though surely.  "Drum Machine" is a new one on me though.

grainger

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 20, 2020, 01:54:45 PM

I can remember 15 or 20 years ago, f*ggot was all over Eminem lyrics and South Park episodes, which were two of the biggest cultural forces for youngsters. It's remarkable how it has now become an unacceptably fierce homophobic slur in such a short period of time.

It absolutely was unacceptable then. It was absolutely unacceptable in the 80s when I was growing up.

As to your examples, well nuff said, but if we really must, they were already decades behind history, regardless of talent. Eminem was never someone to model your world view after. And the South Park "dicks, pussies and assholes" guys have always, inexplicably, got away with murder in the eyes of otherwise sensible people.

Marner and Me

Can we ban the song because it's fucking shite?

chveik

Quote from: grainger on November 20, 2020, 09:54:08 PM
It absolutely was unacceptable then. It was absolutely unacceptable in the 80s when I was growing up.

As to your examples, well nuff said, but if we really must, they were already decades behind history, regardless of talent. Eminem was never someone to model your world view after. And the South Park "dicks, pussies and assholes" guys have always, inexplicably, got away with murder in the eyes of otherwise sensible people.

yep. the 'it was a different time then' argument can fuck off here

jobotic

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 20, 2020, 12:41:37 PM
Let's all think up new alternatives to sing over it. The shittier the better.

"You irk me, dagnabbit!"

"Sweet bargain, I'll grab it!"

"I like Lenny Kravitz!"

"When's dinner? I'm famished!"

No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit

PaulTMA

Hopefully we will have evolved and in 20 years time they'll merely have to ban Low's Just Like Christmas for being really boring.

"Queer" would actually be fine now, as it takes in and celebrates a broad range of sexual identities in a positive light.

But back then the word was a horrible insult and nothing else.

earl_sleek

'Queer' being reclaimed as a self-descriptor is relatively recent, yes. There are still a lot of LGBT people who don't like it.

Captain Z

Quote from: pigamus on November 20, 2020, 05:02:09 PM
two queers and a drum machine

They almost became Jonathan Ross' house band.

Utter Shit

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 21, 2020, 03:00:37 AM
"Queer" would actually be fine now, as it takes in and celebrates a broad range of sexual identities in a positive light.

But back then the word was a horrible insult and nothing else.

It's been reclaimed to the extent that I think as a straight person you can comfortably talk about 'queer theory' and 'LGBTQ', but I don't think you could describe a gay person as 'queer' or 'a queer'.

pigamus

I think only homophobes say queers plural

kalowski

grainger

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 21, 2020, 04:19:43 AM
'Queer' being reclaimed as a self-descriptor is relatively recent, yes. There are still a lot of LGBT people who don't like it.

And "self-descriptor" is key. Also, using it as part of the abbreviation LGBTQ is not the same as using the word in its own right. Referring to someone as "queer"... well, I think it would raise eyebrows.

grainger

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 21, 2020, 05:26:06 PM
It's been reclaimed to the extent that I think as a straight person you can comfortably talk about 'queer theory' and 'LGBTQ', but I don't think you could describe a gay person as 'queer' or 'a queer'.

Yes, better put than my attempt at explaining it.

jobotic

They should just get Klaus & Klaus (featuring Klaus) to re-record it, as they did here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGOx4oG3Q3g

I hate that the debate around this song can never, ever be resolved because the track vanishes every January 1st and everyone forgets it exists, before being loudly indignant about it for a few weeks all over again the next Christmas. We'll soon be putting this issue back in its box without solving it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

I think most of you lot must have experienced or are aware of the outright zeal in which lads prick up their ears at the lousy faggot line and utterly belt it out, arm in arm, freshly emboldened in and outside of pubs at this rotten time of year. That's weird and irritating to straight people. It's an absolute and unmitigated terror to queer people.

Literally no way to rehabilitate this trash. The Pogues are also complete shite.

Chriddof

Quote from: chveik on November 20, 2020, 10:35:25 PM
yep. the 'it was a different time then' argument can fuck off here

Around the early 90s (possibly 1993 or 94, maybe), I remember being in a Pizza Hut in the lead up to Christmas, and they were playing all the usual Christmas music throughout the restaurant. Slade, Wizzard, that McCartney one, etc. Eventually the tape they were playing came round to Fairytale Of Bloody New York, and right after the line we're debating was belted out over the speakers, the volume was hurriedly turned down as low as it could go without being muted. It remained like that for the rest of my stay.

magval

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 22, 2020, 01:24:51 AM
I think most of you lot must have experienced or are aware of the outright zeal in which lads prick up their ears at the lousy faggot line and utterly belt it out, arm in arm, freshly emboldened in and outside of pubs at this rotten time of year. That's weird and irritating to straight people. It's an absolute and unmitigated terror to queer people.

Literally no way to rehabilitate this trash. The Pogues are also complete shite.

I think this was highlighted in last year's Gavin and Stacey Christmas episode, which I didn't watch. The fuss seemed to be over the joy with which that particular line was sung by the characters in a pub.

Always appeared to me to be a show that celebrated laddishness without irony so I doubt if it was a comment so much as a statement, but not having seen it it would be unfair of me to have a strong opinion.

daf

I had the idea that Shane MacGowan had died a few years ago, but not only is he alive (somehow!), it turns out he's about as Irish as Rod Stewart is Scottish!

QuoteMacGowan was born to Irish parents in Pembury, Kent, on Christmas Day in 1957, and his family returned to Ireland at some point after his birth. MacGowan spent his early childhood in County Tipperary, Ireland, before his family moved back to England when he was six and a half. He lived in the Home Counties and attended an English public school. He has lived in many parts of the south-east, including Brighton and London.

JaDanketies

He went to the same school as Adam, Joe, Louis Theroux and Nick Clegg but got chucked out for drugs.

idunnosomename

Seems he got a scholarship to Westminster, his parents arent posh or anything

Captain Z

Anyway, The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping is the new hipsters choice for "actually, MY favourite Christmas song is..."

non capisco

Or Just Like Christmas by Low. Which I loved since it first came out, thank you very much.

pigamus

I've a soft spot for A Spaceman Came Travelling, don't tell anybody

JaDanketies

Sufjan Stevens has done at least two original Christmas songs, both of which are bangers.

Christmas Unicorn

and Sister Winter.

I'm checking out your recommendations now, which makes Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses the first Christmas song I have deliberately listened to in the run-up to Christmas 2020. wtg

Jockice

Quote from: Marner and Me on November 20, 2020, 10:31:32 PM
Can we ban the song because it's fucking shite?

It's not shite (I liked it when it first came out but was thoroughly sick of it by the early 90s) however I really would prefer never to hear it again for the rest of my life. Like Blue Monday by New Order (another band I'm very fond of) it's a long way from their best track and has also become extremely tedious just through sheer overplaying.