Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fairytale of New York - cancelled

Started by Johnny Textface, November 20, 2020, 11:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Saint Etienne - Born On Christmas Day would be another.

Sorry but I cannot stand Sufjan Stephens. Twee, dull-as-dishwater Californian hipster music.

New page rant.

Jockice

Quote from: Captain Z on November 22, 2020, 04:16:47 PM
Saint Etienne - Born On Christmas Day would be another.

Ironically, neither Sarah Cracknell or Tim Burgess celebrate their birthday on December 25th. While Shane MacGowan does. Along with Annie Lennox.

JaDanketies

Jesus also does not celebrate his birthday on Christmas Day.

Spoiler alert
Because he's dead.
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Z on November 22, 2020, 01:45:18 PM
Anyway, The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping is the new hipsters choice for "actually, MY favourite Christmas song is..."

I prefer the Kurtis Blow original.

chveik

why is it considered a christmas song?

Annie Labuntur

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Captain Z on November 22, 2020, 01:45:18 PM
Anyway, The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping is the new hipsters choice for "actually, MY favourite Christmas song is..."

hasn't that been the case for ages?? great song though and mercifully one i've somehow managed not to hear too much

Jockice

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 22, 2020, 05:34:17 PM
hasn't that been the case for ages?? great song though and mercifully one i've somehow managed not to hear too much

It's a weird one. It wasn't a hit at the time (it got to 46 or something) but sort of got bigger as time went by. Fair enough though, as I really don't mind it.

Thank God it's Christmas by Queen wasn't a chart smash (because it's shit) but still lived on in those festive compilation CDs. One of the weakest singles we've all heard.

Jockice

It's not the biggest Christmas flop by a big band though. Christmas Day by Squeeze. Released at the height of their commerciality (they'd had two number two hits that year) got played fairly regularly on Radio One. Didn't even make the top 75. Is also shit.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

haha talking of which would a shit christmas songs playlist thread have any legs?

JaDanketies

Outsider artist Wesley Willis did some bad Christmas songs. He's the man.

pigamus

We should do this thread in another 2 weeks, it's too early

Johnny Textface

Always thought Julian Casablancas' stab at it was a good laugh. Catchy little bastard.

https://youtu.be/1wS-k66MKgs

buzby

Quote from: Jockice on November 22, 2020, 05:45:57 PM
It's a weird one. It wasn't a hit at the time (it got to 46 or something) but sort of got bigger as time went by. Fair enough though, as I really don't mind it.
it got to #71 the first time it was released as a split single double-A side, and #45 a year later when it was released on it's own. See this thread about it from 5 years ago.

It became popular through being easy to licence for Christmas compilation albums as Island/Polygram owned the European distribution rights for it (and the rest of the tracks on ZE Records 'A Christmas Record' album).

(EDIT: link fixed)

daf

that link's bust (got an extra 'l' after the 'www') : This should work.

buzby

Quote from: daf on November 22, 2020, 09:04:38 PM
that link's bust (got an extra 'l' after the 'www') : This should work.
Cheers daf, no idea how that got there. Fixed now.

jobotic

Yeah it's great that Christmas Wrapping. I've liked it since I became aware of it bit only recently found out who it was.

Still don't need to hear it fifty times a day though.

Getting back to Fairytale of New York, did you know that the NYPD doesn't actually have a choir?

grainger

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 22, 2020, 09:45:55 PM
Getting back to Fairytale of New York, did you know that the NYPD doesn't actually have a choir?

That line might just refer to some drunk cops singing...?

Twit 2

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 22, 2020, 01:24:51 AM
Literally no way to rehabilitate this trash. The Pogues are also complete shite.

Powerboat did us a favour an' all.

Jockice

Quote from: Captain Z on November 22, 2020, 07:01:42 PM
Good lord that is awful.

I've seen Squeeze several times in the last few years (they're my *********'s favourite band of all time) and in fact were supposed to be going to see them in a couple of weeks but it was postponed, but have never see them do this particular track live. Even though I keep shouting for it.

Keebleman

Is it banned also cos it's called Fairytale, or is that a point in its favour?

Quote from: pigamus on November 22, 2020, 03:39:10 PM
I've a soft spot for A Spaceman Came Travelling, don't tell anybody

Love that. Wish Frisky and Mannish had just done a straight cover, it would be my favourite version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYsqZ944k4

God that Frustrates me SING IT PROPERLY 😠

Best Xmas song is Mariah Carey though, that's a fact.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DistressedArea on November 22, 2020, 10:16:07 PM
Best Xmas song is Mariah Carey though, that's a fact.

Nah, it's shite.
The whole of that Phil Spector album that she's trying to rip off is far better.

Maybe Xmas just isn't for you. That's ok.

Jockice

I don't mind Mariah's but the best Christmas single is Wizzard's. Not just opinion, an objective fact. Much as I like Slade I'll never forgive them for keeping Roy's boys off the top.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Marner and Me on November 20, 2020, 10:31:32 PM
Can we ban the song because it's fucking shite?
This is the only correct response. It's a fucking dirge and shouldn't be on the radio. Shove it in the bin with Winter Song.