Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cooking questions

Started by bgmnts, November 20, 2020, 06:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So i've just made a tofu korma and I've got the coconut milk, onions, garlic, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cardomom pods and cloves in it - with a bit of salt and pepper - and yet it tastes a bit bland.

Why is this?

itsfredtitmus

still tryna figure out why my chicken fried egg rice tastes so shite we're on the same page

El Unicornio, mang

Add about a tablespoon of brown sugar (or normal sugar)

Marner and Me

Add some curry powder, also could well be the fact it's a Korma.

Bazooka

Did you go big or go home?  I. e are you following a recipe? Because they are all pansies who write the quantities, and recommend half a teaspoon and such nonsense, triple all amounts minimum.

spaghetamine

Buelligan

I think if you want to cook well, you need to taste your food as you cook it.  Don't follow a recipe rigidly.  Keep tasting and adding things, a very little at a time.  You will make some terrible shit but you will learn how to make some great shit.  It's like painting.

No one makes great art by following someone else's blueprint.  You have to play with the medium, learn its ways, then you're cooking on gas.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Buelligan on November 20, 2020, 06:18:55 PM
Don't follow a recipe rigidly.

Yeah, recipe instructions need to be taken with a pinch of salt

*tumbleweed*

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Buelligan on November 20, 2020, 06:18:55 PM
I think if you want to cook well, you need to taste your food as you cook it.  Don't follow a recipe rigidly.  Keep tasting and adding things, a very little at a time.  You will make some terrible shit but you will learn how to make some great shit.  It's like painting.

No one makes great art by following someone else's blueprint.  You have to play with the medium, learn its ways, then you're cooking on gas.
*pops uncle ben in the oven and warms up sauce from patakas in pan*

king_tubby

Quote from: bgmnts on November 20, 2020, 06:04:56 PM
So i've just made a tofu korma and I've got the coconut milk, onions, garlic, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cardomom pods and cloves in it - with a bit of salt and pepper - and yet it tastes a bit bland.

Why is this?

Needs some ground almonds in too. And despite being a korma I'd stick a bit of chilli in there.

How old are your spices?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

It's because you forgot to add the meat.

bgmnts

I didnt follow a recipe and I think the spices have been around for a while. May need to get some stuff in when I can. Cheers guys! Will def try almonds.

Sebastian Cobb

Bit of kashmiri chilli powder (or 3 parts paprika to one part cayenne) and maybe some garam masala.

Fonz

Sebastian Cobb

Also if you're bothered about your spices getting a bit less powerful I suggest buying whole where you can. You can get electric coffee grinders for less than a tenner these days and they're perfect for turning them to powder.

Icehaven

Why is this?

Covid?

Twit 2

pancreas

Why is this?

You didn't slice the onions fine enough. You didn't cook them until they were deep brown. You didn't use enough garlic, cumin, ginger, cardamom or cloves (though you should still be careful with the last of these). You probably did use the right amount of turmeric, but I wonder if you allowed it and the other spices to bloom in the oil enough. Typically it's better to smash up the cardamom with a pestle and mortar and remove the husk. Mainly you didn't put enough fucking salt in it. And where is the fucking chilli? Hope this helps.

pancreas

Quote from: Fonz on November 20, 2020, 07:19:29 PM
Fenugreek is your friend

Ignore this pls.

Though you might have considered black mustard seeds (not too much or gets bitter) and curry leaves, perhaps as a tadka to add at the end.

Sebastian Cobb

Really depends on whether they meant seeds or the leaves, kasoori methi probably isn't traditional in korma but it works well in other creamy dishes dunnit?

pancreas

I hate the flavour of fenugreek, I'm afraid. It adds a dank swampy tone, like dill.

Sebastian Cobb

The leaves taste completely different though, fair enough if you don't like them, like.

Twit 2

Why is this?

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 20, 2020, 07:50:11 PM
State of this.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on November 20, 2020, 08:43:33 PM
y

What he said:

Quote from: pancreas on November 20, 2020, 08:52:24 PM
You didn't slice the onions fine enough. You didn't cook them until they were deep brown. You didn't use enough garlic, cumin, ginger, cardamom or cloves (though you should still be careful with the last of these). You probably did use the right amount of turmeric, but I wonder if you allowed it and the other spices to bloom in the oil enough. Typically it's better to smash up the cardamom with a pestle and mortar and remove the husk. Mainly you didn't put enough fucking salt in it. And where is the fucking chilli? Hope this helps.

RIGHT

Quote from: pancreas on November 20, 2020, 09:01:46 PM
I hate the flavour of fenugreek, I'm afraid. It adds a dank swampy tone, like dill.

WRONG

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dill is the pits. Wretched stuff.

However, from my experience fenugreek is fine if it's there yet not a main event. The leaves gives added complexity and depth (like with swamps) to flavour and texture.

The reason I am here though is to ask whether there is a superior shop-bought Garam Masala to buy*? The stuff out of the packets generally seem seems dull, macey and bitter. I thought it was supposed to provide fine aromatics and nuttiness. And no-one can seem to decide whether to leave it to the end or put it in after the onions have been sauteed. Is it better with milder red-meat Northern dishes?

*Yes, I know there is an option to make it at home.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Twit 2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 20, 2020, 09:10:56 PM
Dill is the pits. Wretched stuff.

However, from my experience fenugreek is fine if it's there yet not a main event. The leaves gives added complexity and depth (like with swamps) to flavour and texture.

The reason I am here though is to ask whether there is a superior shop-bought Garam Masala to buy*? The stuff out of the packets generally seem seems dull, macey and bitter. I thought it was supposed to provide fine aromatics and nuttiness. And no-one can seem to decide whether to leave it to the end or put it in after the onions have been sauteed.

*Yes, I know there is an option to make it at home.

Make it at home. Add with other powders earlier on and then a hit just before serving.