Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forrest Gump

Started by rjd2, November 20, 2020, 10:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Toying with rewatching it for what seems like years.

My hesitation though is for many reasons, its relatively long and even when I watched it initially I found it really oscar baity and right wing.

What is the overall opinion on this highly successful Tom Hanks film here?

Replies From View

Let me just say this:  you're not meant to shake the air before the hand connects with your hand.  That is an incorrect method.

Replies From View

Plus this elephant in the room:

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2020, 11:33:47 AM
There was an awful lot of wholly pointless running in the television movie FORREST GUMP.

There was hardly a single moment where that character stood still.  Just one or two instances of him pausing to shake hands with JFK or anyone would have given the film a tiny bit of variety.  But there was none of that.  No change of pace:  just endless running.

Here are some more examples of Forrest Gump charging around thoroughly pointlessly:

One gets the distinct sense that the running was symptomatic of a rushed film production.  The actor playing Forrest Gump (Marting Clunes?) was told he had to get to all these filming locations, but the distance was too great and by the time he got there they had to move on to the next location.  Occasionally the production crew grew impatient waiting for him to turn up, and instead shoved anyone else in front of the camera - any other actor/runner they could find.  So we see an unknown child actor playing Forrest Gump, and later a generic woman with red hair.  Absolutely unlike Marting Clunes.  You can see how much they were rushing the production with the clock that was accidentally filmed.

You can hear somebody screaming "Run Lola Run!" during the segment with the generic woman.  I'm guessing that Lola was the actress' name and it was filmed in her local area (notice that 'locla' is an anagram of 'local').  Should have redone the audio but it ended up in the film.

No idea why those actors had to be running if they didn't have to reach another location in an unreasonably short amount of time.  Presumably by the time the cameras started rolling it was time to move on, which renders absurd the decision to use alternative actors in the first place.

Anyway that's my in-depth analysis of the television movie FORREST GUMP introducing MARTING CLUNES; glad you loved it

hopefully we will see him in more films.  would be nice to see him having a go at other things besides running

6.5/10 = 65/100 = 65%

Hand Solo

The CGI and dubbing is awful when he's shoved into clips with Kennedy etc. I remember thinking they looked quite hamfisted at the time, now with Deep Fakes etc as standard they look horrendous. Also Jenny is a horrendous person, but I (haven't seen it in years) suppose they justify that with implying her father molested her at the beginning?

Replies From View

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 21, 2020, 04:52:38 PM
they justify that with implying her father molested her at the beginning?

Yes this is what saves it.

Marner and Me

It's fucking shit isn't it, seen it once, never again.

Butchers Blind

I like the bit where he makes friends with a volleyball.

Replies From View

I remember when it came out there was great celebration that the interactions with historical characters was the most fucking groundbreaking scenes ever cast on celluloid.  A show like How Do They Do That or Tomorrow's World must have gone into the process in some cursory depth, because it entered my brain in a way that it had no excuse to.

I naturally assumed Forrest Gump would be a hilarious time travel film of some kind.  Raised my hopes well out of proportion for a film that is largely filler.

Hand Solo

Ok, I always thought this was a shit version of The World According To Garp (Robin Williams' acting debut? which I saw as a kid and really flummoxed me)  the novel of which the film was based on was written about 6 years before the novel Gump is based on came out. Watch (or read, I've only seen the films) both and tell me I'm wrong.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Chedney Honks

Unbelievably good soundtrack.

touchingcloth

My local library had a copy of the book it was based on, and it has a surprising amount of stuff which didn't make the screen. He was not just an idiot but an idiot savant, so he became a chess champion and an astronaut. He is also portrayed as having a lovely big penis which Jenny likes.

Chedney Honks

I actually really like the film.

Psmith

I hate it but watch it at least once a year.My BH loves it ,can't believe everyone doesn't and is trying to turn me.BUT she won't!

Hand Solo

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 22, 2020, 02:00:27 AM
My local library had a copy of the book it was based on, and it has a surprising amount of stuff which didn't make the screen. He was not just an idiot but an idiot savant, so he became a chess champion and an astronaut. He is also portrayed as having a lovely big penis which Jenny likes.

Forrest goes on a number of different adventures including being an astronaut, playing the harmonica in a band called the Cracked Eggs, becoming a professional wrestler ("The Dunce") and running for the United States Senate (with the campaign slogan "We Got to Pee").

touchingcloth

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 22, 2020, 01:44:15 PM
Forrest goes on a number of different adventures including being an astronaut, playing the harmonica in a band called the Cracked Eggs, becoming a professional wrestler ("The Dunce") and running for the United States Senate (with the campaign slogan "We Got to Pee from Our Big Lovely Penis").

El Unicornio, mang

Greg Proops did a whole bit about how much he hates the film and Zemeckis, how it portrays Jenny as a horrible slut who gets AIDS as her comeuppance, and that it's basically an anti-women film. I haven't seen it in years but don't remember that aspect.

There's also this Family Guy parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR1rV6MtIco&ab_channel=AsaElliott

Sebastian Cobb

Just watch The Burbs instead it's way better.

touchingcloth

One of the Film Cliches I Wish Would Fuck Off is the thing of oblique references to historical events. There's a bit in the otherwise excellent Topsy Turvy where someone says something like "the Churchills were round earlier with their nice young sons, what's his name, now? Ooh, I remember, Winston," and I just want to put it in the fucking bin.

Zemeckis made a film of just those bits.

Hand Solo

Jenny actually died of Hep-C not AIDS, people just assume that because it was the 80s and dead hip 'hep?' to die of AIDS at the time.

Did she not die from aids? Is that like a Mandela effect that we all "remember"?

Replies From View

Gulftastic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 22, 2020, 06:09:16 PM
Did she not die from aids? Is that like a Mandela effect that we all "remember"?

I'm not sure it's ever made clear.

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 22, 2020, 06:09:16 PM

Maybe she had the AIDS variant of Hep-C, "Hep-A".

touchingcloth

Amaidszing to think that Tom Haidsnks won two Acaidsemy Awaids in consecutive years for the famous AIDS movies Philaidsdelphia and What's Eating Forrest Gump? AIDS. In fact those are the only two Oscaids he has ever won, with even his other famous and great AIDS movies such as Aidspollo 13, Saving Private Ryan from AIDS and Cast Awaids not getting him the gong. I wonder if he thinks of those as his AIDS years.

Gulftastic

It's lucky he stayed faithful to her out off of the Whitesnake video in 'Bachelor Party'. The early 80s was when the AIDS first starting running wild.

I bet his brother and Adrian Zmed both caught a dose.

Icehaven

It's bollocks because you can't just double a letter in an existing word and suddenly it's a name. Trree Gump, Occean Gump, Mounntain Gump, doesn't work does it? Crrap.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2020, 07:05:43 PM
It's bollocks because you can't just double a letter in an existing word and suddenly it's a name. Trree Gump, Occean Gump, Mounntain Gump, doesn't work does it? Crrap.

That's my main issue with the film, too.

Though in fairness, Robert Redford's recent - and final - film The Old Man & the Gun sees him playing a naughty real life crim called Forrest Tucker, and sadly his birth being in 1920 blows your theory out of the old water a little bit. But I do agree it's crap and I would like to see all of your versions, particularly Occean Gump as a crossover between the Gump and Oceans franchises. Imagine what Don Cheadle's ropey accent could bring to the affair.

Gulftastic

Replies From View

'airport timewaster' was an aids movie too, wasn't it?  bloke so riddled with aids he can't find his way out

out of what?  not literally an airport, no.  it's a metaphor, like that one where richard e grant sports a giant wart of himself

he can't find his way out of aids