Author Topic: Serious lyrics that you find funny  (Read 3867 times)

Menu

• Don't be a fool, Stephanie.
Re: Serious lyrics that you find funny
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
Back on topic: I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello but I find his song about Thatcher, 'Tramp The Dirt Down', really embarrassing. It just doesn't go anywhere. Sometimes its too literal, other times the analogies are weird or just weak. Feels like a first draft. I always skip it these days.

Twonty Gostelow

• Sent from my bum using Crapatalk
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
Back on topic: I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello but I find his song about Thatcher, 'Tramp The Dirt Down', really embarrassing. It just doesn't go anywhere. Sometimes its too literal, other times the analogies are weird or just weak. Feels like a first draft. I always skip it these days.

I bet if you got him drunk you could get him to say she was better than this lot we have today.

Anyone hear know the Utopia song, Hiroshima?

Hiroshima!
Nagasaki!
Don't you ever forget.
Don't you ever fucking forget.

Okay, I'll try not to. It's the "fucking" I find funny because the song's so pompous.

Menu

• Don't be a fool, Stephanie.
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »
I bet if you got him drunk you could get him to say she was better than this lot we have today.

Ha! Yes probably! And I'd agree. That song is such a missed opportunity though. It annoys me.

TheMonk

• Hello folks
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2020, 10:25:03 PM »
Any of Phil Collins or Genesis serious social issue ones but most obviously Another Day In Paradise.

“Is there somewhere you can tell me?"
Always sounds clumsy to me. No one says that.

Also the whistling and “Seems embarrassed to be there” business.

Tags: