Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:07:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Serious lyrics that you find funny

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 21, 2020, 12:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Back on topic: I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello but I find his song about Thatcher, 'Tramp The Dirt Down', really embarrassing. It just doesn't go anywhere. Sometimes its too literal, other times the analogies are weird or just weak. Feels like a first draft. I always skip it these days.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Menu on December 02, 2020, 01:13:22 PM
Back on topic: I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello but I find his song about Thatcher, 'Tramp The Dirt Down', really embarrassing. It just doesn't go anywhere. Sometimes its too literal, other times the analogies are weird or just weak. Feels like a first draft. I always skip it these days.

I bet if you got him drunk you could get him to say she was better than this lot we have today.

Anyone hear know the Utopia song, Hiroshima?

Hiroshima!
Nagasaki!
Don't you ever forget.
Don't you ever fucking forget.

Okay, I'll try not to. It's the "fucking" I find funny because the song's so pompous.

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 02, 2020, 04:29:58 PM
I bet if you got him drunk you could get him to say she was better than this lot we have today.

Ha! Yes probably! And I'd agree. That song is such a missed opportunity though. It annoys me.

TheMonk

Any of Phil Collins or Genesis serious social issue ones but most obviously Another Day In Paradise.

"Is there somewhere you can tell me?"
Always sounds clumsy to me. No one says that.

Also the whistling and "Seems embarrassed to be there" business.