Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boiler (maybe)

Started by flotemysost, November 21, 2020, 12:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Apologies in advance if this really isn't the right place to post this sort of query - I've spent the past few days scouring the net for landlord/gas engineer/DIY sites on this subject and they all seem to suggest slightly different things, so I thought I might as well try my luck here, as you seem like a knowledgeable lot. Please move/delete if this isn't the right place for it though.

I moved to a new (rented) flat a couple of weeks ago, and upon moving in, it became clear that numerous things needed fixing, including the boiler. Thankfully, I still have the keys to the flat I've just moved out of (as there's a bit of overlap and I'm paying for it til the end of this month), so I told the landlord - look, I can get out the flat for a few days, as long as you can just make sure everything's fixed and habitable by the time I get back (I currently have to work from home, for obvious reasons, so it wouldn't be practical for me to stay there while work was being carried out - for one thing, it's a small studio flat, so social distancing would be out of the question).

Anyway, the engineer who was called out apparently advised that the boiler needed replacing; this was done, and I returned to the flat on the agreed date to find a new boiler in place. So here is my question: legally, in the UK, does a new boiler need a new gas safety certificate for the property to be rented out?

The agency provided one before I moved in (dated June 2020) but obviously that was for the old boiler, so as far as I can tell, that means diddly squat now (at least the bits referring to the boiler - I know they checked the other gas appliances like the oven, so that would still stand). Some online sources suggest that if the boiler installation was carried out by a registered engineer then it doesn't require a gas safety certificate upon installation, but I've got no idea who carried out the installation, could've been someone the landlord met down the pub the night before for all I know.

I texted the landlord a couple of days ago to thank them again for arranging the repairs, and also asked if a gas safety check was carried out after the installation, and if not then please could one be arranged so that the flat has a valid certificate; no reply. Which is a bit odd as they've been very responsive for any maintenance issues so far (the property is managed by the landlord, not the agency, who are shit). Am I being a dick? Are they possibly just waiting for it in the post and I'm just being impatient?

Either way I would want a copy of whatever certification is required, just so I know I'm living somewhere that's legally decreed safe, but it seems odd that they've not reacted to my question about it, and it's making me doubt myself as I really know nothing about this stuff. I also have a track record of being quite anxious about gas leaks and convincing myself that wherever I live is about to blow up, which bodes well for living alone during a pandemic.

AIBU (Am I Boiler Uneducated)?

not even gonna post the other obvious tag here

Dex Sawash

Can you just buy a carbon monoxide detector and know things are ok on a continuing basis?
You shouldn't have to but just to expedite your life/peace of mind.

Wonderful Butternut

I would imagine it needs some sort of installation certificate and safety test as they do over here. Then again maybe the Conservative and Unionist Party managed to do away with such pesky red tape at some point in the last decade.

As Dex says you could buy a carbon monoxide detector. Which is something you should have anyway, tbh.

flotemysost

Sorry, should have mentioned, there is already a (working) carbon monoxide detector in the flat, at least.

As far as I know they won't detect natural gas leaks though. If I get the 'vid and lose my sense of smell = dead

Dex Sawash

Spray/brush some soapy water over the pipe fittings and look for bubbles.
Check with a match is the cowboy way, be prepared to blow out the flames/die in fireball if there is a leak.

paruses

The boiler should be registered with Gas Safe. They should have all the "paperwork" that the installer was gas safe registered etc. Just give them a ring. It's a legal obligation for the installation to be registered.

paruses

The gas safety cert you mentioned covers the appliances if I understand you right. They will still be covered by the June cert as they are unchanged so doubt they would have been rechecked because it's not part of the boiler man's job. The boiler is a new appliance. And it is a legal requirement regardless of if you are the landlord or the owner.

Marner and Me

Yes it should have a Gas Safety Cert, a lot of people can fit a boiler, but not many are able to check it.

flotemysost

Cheers all for the helpful comments - landlord has now replied saying they'll arrange for someone to come round and do the check. Sorry again for my late(ish) night paranoia.

Apparently the previous tenant was hardly ever here and just used the place as a pied à terre (literally it would seem, going by how filthy it was when I moved in), so maybe landlord just isn't used to having someone on their back about this stuff.

paruses

Doesn't sound an issue  but the boiler installer registers the installation with Gas Safe. That is a legal requirement. You have to be Gas Safe registered to install and you have to register it. If not then GS will issue a notice of concern to the installer after 30 days or so. Just ring them and check it has been done. It's almost their sole purpose.

The gas safety certificate is separate and annual and to do with appliance safety - a bit like Pat (testing) with electrical items you see in offices.

But as I say it sounds like the landlord is on top of it. Only reason I am so vigorously posting is I went through similar couple months ago with an absolute arse of a boiler installer.