Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:24:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The REAL Harry Hill

Started by Johnny Textface, November 21, 2020, 12:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Who is this guy really? Does he always dress that way?

Annie Labuntur

Real name Malcolm Evans. Used to be a fishmonger.

Two of Shipman's convictions took the rap for him.

This interview with Harry Hill makes me think he has terrible taste/judgement:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/nov/20/funniest-thing-harry-hill

QuoteThe funniest TV show I've ever seen ...
Extras was great, wasn't it? The Bowie bit.

You fucking what mate?! Ever??

QuoteThe funniest word ...
Egg. Go on, say it again but imagine me saying it. Funny, right?

Oh piss off...

Dusty Substance

I attended a small social event a few years ago and went record shopping with him and his wife. He was mostly quiet, polite and reserved but every now and then would do a comedy gesture (a look, an adjustment of his glasses) which reminded me that I was in the presence of a comedy giant and household name. A very nice man who was kind enough to listen to my boring stories and laugh at my dumb jokes.

Quote from: thelittlemango on November 21, 2020, 06:37:49 PM

Oh piss off...

I'm wary when things get labelled funniest ever.  You start getting ad nauseum repeat situations like with dead parrot and Del Boy's fall through the bar.

idunnosomename

Oh piss off...
not gonna hold Matthew up on albatross though

Brundle-Fly

Oh piss off...

I always judge every comedian by a throwaway puff piece interview in a broadsheet newspaper.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've always thought Harry Hill was a cunt ever since that " I Want To Call young Working Class Mums Chav Cunts, I'm Sure You'll All Agree With Me, Eh Readers?"single he did. Come to think of it, I've always thought of him as a bit of a cunt anyway, with his Reeves and Mortimer ripping off ways, right from the start of his career; and , if  I may take an analogous direction in this post,  if we are to ascribe a " Monty Python" role to " Reeves and Mortimer, then 'tis but a short step to giving Harry Hill the " Not The Nine O'clock News " role, with his smug sneering at the likes of Peter Davidson and Little and Large, just inviting them on his show to make them look like cunts, and his cynical exploitatition of Burt Kwouk, along with his equally as cynical of taking the " You've Been Framed" shilling, making more money than he would have made by just being a fucking doctor.

Am I complaining too much in an unreasonable way about Harry Hill? You like the whining though, don't you?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 21, 2020, 09:57:08 PM
I've always thought Harry Hill was a cunt ever since that " I Want To Call young Working Lass Mums Chav Cunts, I'm Sure You'll All Agree With Me, Eh Readers?"single he did. Come to think of it, I've always thought of him as a bit of a cunt anyway, with his Reeves and Mortimer ripping off ways, right from he start of his career; and , if  I may take an analogous direction in this post,  if we are to ascribe a " Monty Python" role to " Reeves and Mortimer, then 'tis but a short step to giving Harry Hill the " Not The Nine O'clock News " role, with his smug sneering at the likes of Peter Davidson and Little and Large, just inviting them on his show to make them look like cunts, and his cynical exploitatition of Burt Kwouk, along with his equally as cynical of taking the " You've Been Framed" shilling, making more money than he would have made by just being a fucking doctor.

Am I complaining too much in an unreasonable way about Harry Hill? You like the whining though, don't you?

Lisa? Every comedian is a cunt on CaB.

jobotic

I don't really know who Bert Kwouk is apart from being in Harry Hill but he was a grown man with the ability to say fuck this if he so wished?

I really like Harry Hill which is why I was so disappointed when I first saw a link to that I Wanna Have A Baby song on here. It really is revolting and it's all tainted now.

lipsink

I remember thinking he'd become a right grumpy old git when I saw him complaining about BBC THREE shows on Richard Bacon's show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bg-0JTaE04

Complaining about paying your licence fee cos you don't like BBC THREE is acting like a prick.

I haven't kept up with his recent stuff and yeah I kinda tuned out when towards the end of TV Burp he seemed to become very cruel and chav bashing.

I absolutely loved early TV Burp plus his standup/Channel 4 stuff at the time. Haven't watched it back.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 21, 2020, 09:57:08 PM
I've always thought Harry Hill was a cunt ever since that " I Want To Call young Working Class Mums Chav Cunts, I'm Sure You'll All Agree With Me, Eh Readers?"single he did. Come to think of it, I've always thought of him as a bit of a cunt anyway, with his Reeves and Mortimer ripping off ways, right from the start of his career; and , if  I may take an analogous direction in this post,  if we are to ascribe a " Monty Python" role to " Reeves and Mortimer, then 'tis but a short step to giving Harry Hill the " Not The Nine O'clock News " role, with his smug sneering at the likes of Peter Davidson and Little and Large, just inviting them on his show to make them look like cunts, and his cynical exploitatition of Burt Kwouk, along with his equally as cynical of taking the " You've Been Framed" shilling, making more money than he would have made by just being a fucking doctor.

I always thought Burt Kwouk and Peter Davison et al were in on the joke so had no issue with their appearances on his show. I agree with you about "I Wanna Baby" though, that was deeply ugly and horrible and I lost a lot of respect for him after hearing it.

idunnosomename

the other single from Funny Times was "Flatscreen TV" in 2010.

LCD TVs outsold cathode ray tubes in 2007.

still, if we can forgive Lucas/Walliams. if.

Jockice

Apparently he nicked a schoolmate of mine's flatmates's girlfriend in the early 90s. Obviously not to be trusted.

Billy

I just found it really sad and depressing how he morphed into this warm, cuddly face of mainstream ITV comedy. His Channel 4 show meant a huge amount to me as a kid, it was on after 11pm and my parents were absolutely convinced that there was clearly something adult about it and basically watched it stony-faced with the remote in hand waiting for the first swear word/nudity/offensive joke to give them the excuse to switch it off and send me to bed, but it never came. Felt like this TV secret that me and only a few others knew about.

First few TV Burps were similar, also really late at night and almost like an invasion of the ITV airwaves, ripping the piss out of all these shit TV shows like some kind of quality-standards hero on course to save the face of British television. Then cut to a few years later and it's all lovely primetime material that seems more like it's celebrating shit like Derek Acorah and The X Factor instead of calling it a load of old bollocks like he used to, and nothing he's done in the last decade has put a smile on my face - more just this immense waste of potential of someone who Used To Be Cool.

In 2013 I worked at a cinema and did a screencheck on one of the first showings of the Harry Hill Movie. There were just two people in the screen, an old couple in their 60s or older, sitting at the back watching the "wacky" "antics" in complete, deathly silence.

idunnosomename

some of the primetime Burps were "based" as the kids today might say. there was a big exodus of writers at some point and it became turgid back-slapping shite (not to mention WAGBO), but the last series was okay.

The Mollusk

One unfortunate song reinforcing a nasty trope about the working class against the rest of his excellent comedic legacy is nowhere near enough to topple Hill in my estimation. I grew up on a council estate raised by a single mum who had me when she was 19 and I couldn't give a fuck, Hill is one of my longest standing comedy heroes.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on November 21, 2020, 11:51:22 PM
Apparently he nicked a schoolmate of mine's flatmates's girlfriend in the early 90s. Obviously not to be trusted.

Jockice, you've got an anecdote for literally every famous person of the last 50 years. I'm in awe. You're like a much nicer Michael Winner. Why not start a thread in which people throw you names of celebrities of the last 50 years, and you tell your anecdote about each one?

GoblinAhFuckScary

His daughter went to my uni and she's a right posho

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 22, 2020, 01:15:18 AM
His daughter went to my uni and she's a right posho

Be ironic if she ended up a single mum.

Jockice

Quote from: Menu on November 22, 2020, 12:35:45 AM
Jockice, you've got an anecdote for literally every famous person of the last 50 years. I'm in awe. You're like a much nicer Michael Winner. Why not start a thread in which people throw you names of celebrities of the last 50 years, and you tell your anecdote about each one?

The ironic thing is I haven't got one about Michael Winner. So I'd be on a loser from the start there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ah, you are missing Winner ( from your anecdotes supply).

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 22, 2020, 01:30:22 PM
Ah, you are missing Winner ( from your anecdotes supply).

Nice.

Harry turned up in my shithole town's shithole high street a few years ago doing some ad hoc shithole campaigning for the Labour Party. I didn't attend.

non capisco

Quote from: Jockice on November 22, 2020, 01:27:46 PM
The ironic thing is I haven't got one about Michael Winner. So I'd be on a loser from the start there.

I've got one about Michael Winner so between us we're covered.

ProvanFan

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on November 22, 2020, 01:27:46 PM

"Calm down"

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 22, 2020, 12:26:57 AM
One unfortunate song reinforcing a nasty trope about the working class against the rest of his excellent comedic legacy is nowhere near enough to topple Hill in my estimation. I grew up on a council estate raised by a single mum who had me when she was 19 and I couldn't give a fuck, Hill is one of my longest standing comedy heroes.
Similar (although my mum was 23), but I think such a cloth-eared comedy idea was one of those moments that threw everything else he'd done into relief. While I've loved a lot of his work, everything since the writer exodus on TV Burp has been pretty slim pickings, comedy wise, for me.

Hand Solo

Remember when he went into witness protection after snitching on the mafia?

thugler

Quote from: lipsink on November 21, 2020, 10:52:43 PM
I remember thinking he'd become a right grumpy old git when I saw him complaining about BBC THREE shows on Richard Bacon's show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bg-0JTaE04

Complaining about paying your licence fee cos you don't like BBC THREE is acting like a prick.

Is it? I mean I've nothing against the sort of drivel they broadcast, but i have no idea why the bbc has to produce it when other channels are providing plenty of it already. I don't see how it's in the bbc's remit really, nor a lot of things on bbc 1 and 2 to be fair. I don't really agree with the idea that the bbc should be trying to chase ratings and compete with the other channels. It's not what i see the bbc being for is all. See also the decline in their news coverage, investigative journalism, and most other things. Half the good stuff that's on now is bought in anyway, the 'storyville' strand of documentaries for example, it's mostly all US made documentary films and shows. Can't the bbc make these kind of things themself anymore? No instead they have to use that money to make a million stacey dooley programs instead.