Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How the other half live like bell-ends

Started by Chedney Honks, November 21, 2020, 06:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 25, 2020, 02:57:05 PM
Are they trying to make out it's the bike from the film?

it's about half the size of an actual motorbike! Just how short is Arnie?

Dr Trouser

why have they badly photoshopped a rug on the floor?

Norton Canes

Had a friend who lived in an ex-council place in North London who sent his radiators to Switzerland to get them gold-plated.

Ferris

Mr_Simnock

From the house linked above, the TV set, the old hi fi (I think) set up, the ancient F1 posters, has anyone actually been in there for 40 years apart from the cleaner?That carpet looks like that cheap rough stuff (£2 square m) from the back of any carpet sales room warehouse, I bet its a fucking off cut they got for nowt.

buttgammon

They seem have a spare green ball on the snooker table.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 25, 2020, 03:49:49 PM
From the house linked above, the TV set, the old hi fi (I think) set up, the ancient F1 posters, has anyone actually been in there for 40 years apart from the cleaner?
Note the pic of a young lad in Man United kit with Mark Hughes, circa about 1988 I'd say.

El Unicornio, mang

I've been reminded of a place I stayed at when I was in Chicago. A friend's Uncle was out of town and let us stay the night at his place in the suburbs when we went to a Halloween party nearby. Got lost a few times just wandering around as it had so many rooms. Fun place, but a bit lacking in subtlety. The kind of place a 16-year old dreams of having when they're older. I guess if you're single/middle aged with a good job you don't really need to be rich to do it.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 22, 2020, 04:51:08 PM
I mean, I'd probably go for one that has a theme, such as

Just having a room that completely detaches me from reality would be *chefs kiss*

Agreed. I'd have a bunch of "theme rooms" in my ideal richer-than-god cuntmansion. Walk through a door and end up in a steamy New York alleyway complete with neon lights and piped-in hubbub ambience. Go through a door there and end up in a starship corridor with rumbling engines. Go through there and you're on a faux deck above a small pond on a 1920s steamer boat. Be great to get plastered in one of those rooms and just utterly fade out of the real world for a bit.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 25, 2020, 03:57:03 PM
Note the pic of a young lad in Man United kit with Mark Hughes, circa about 1988 I'd say.

I thought more like 1985. I'm pretty sure that's Ron Atkinson in the photo to the right of that one too. At least that house has any books at all in it, even if there aren't many.

The only reason I'd want a house that big is to fit enough shelves in so the books wouldn't have to be three deep on them.

Zetetic

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 25, 2020, 04:33:32 PM
Agreed. I'd have a bunch of "theme rooms" in my ideal richer-than-god cuntmansion. Walk through a door and end up in a steamy New York alleyway complete with neon lights and piped-in hubbub ambience. Go through a door there and end up in a starship corridor with rumbling engines. Go through there and you're on a faux deck above a small pond on a 1920s steamer boat. Be great to get plastered in one of those rooms and just utterly fade out of the real world for a bit.
Would you hire characters?

imitationleather

Maybe I'm just terminally poor but I really don't get the appeal of having a stupid amount of rooms.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on November 25, 2020, 06:59:35 PM
Maybe I'm just terminally poor but I really don't get the appeal of having a stupid amount of rooms.

just makes shit further away.

Blue Jam

While I would like a bigger flat I would be concerned that, just as work expands to fit the deadline, stuff would expand to fit the space it's in.

Would love a man cave though.

Urinal Cake

That's the problem when you live in a caravan.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 25, 2020, 06:52:51 PM
I thought more like 1985. I'm pretty sure that's Ron Atkinson in the photo to the right of that one too.
That may be a pic with Big Racist Ron in it, but I recognise the kit the lad is wearing as the one from 86/87 and 87/88 seasons, mainly because that was the first United shirt I had. Hughes was actually away in Spain and Germany during that time, returning in the Summer of 1988, hence my guess of the time - it looks like Sparky is wearing the shirt design from the subsequent two seasons, concluding in the FA Cup final victory in 1990.

Just more space you have to clean, is my attitude. The only reason we eventually want to move from my one-bedroom flat is that it'd be nice to have a spare bedroom or two for when my parents, nephews or sisters-in-law visit.

Jakey Chesterton

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/18/developer-of-illegally-modernised-listed-building-must-pay-300k-or-face-jail

Owner who 'ripped out layers of history' from listed house must pay £300,000

Wall decorated with children's gravestones, mosaic Jacuzzi added and Regency features replaced with mock-Tudor design

Davies, 60, originally insisted he had done nothing wrong and claimed planning officers had given him verbal permission to carry out the work.

"So you want to strip out the listed features and replace them with... kids' gravestones? Yeah sure no bother sounds fine"

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Jakey Chesterton on November 25, 2020, 09:22:08 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/18/developer-of-illegally-modernised-listed-building-must-pay-300k-or-face-jail

"So you want to strip out the listed features and replace them with... kids' gravestones? Yeah sure no bother sounds fine"
What they say is correct- money can't buy taste. It looks like 4 star hotel in a developing nation.

Jakey Chesterton

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 25, 2020, 09:29:43 PM
What they say is correct- money can't buy taste. It looks like 4 star hotel in a developing nation.

Yeah - also reminds me of the mcmansions in the Sopranos, especially the kitchen here:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/millionaire-property-developer-could-face-9889253

Sebastian Cobb

It's a bit mad that anyone would want to buy an old property like that and not want to change it. I guess that the alternative would it being left to ruin, so perhaps they should be given to some preservation body (or taken into national ownership) if they want to preserve them. Broadly speaking, I think listing buildings should seek to protect private property rather than personal property.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 25, 2020, 03:13:18 PM
Had a friend who lived in an ex-council place in North London who sent his radiators to Switzerland to get them gold-plated.
This house is on the council estate in Hackney where my cousin lives :
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5574965,-0.0660273,3a,75y,86.26h,89.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfusMOBWVw0cS05O-ME9T0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like a facelifted version of Crobbins' MILLION POUND HOUSE

Icehaven

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 25, 2020, 09:01:08 PM
That may be a pic with Big Racist Ron in it, but I recognise the kit the lad is wearing as the one from 86/87 and 87/88 seasons, mainly because that was the first United shirt I had. Hughes was actually away in Spain and Germany during that time, returning in the Summer of 1988, hence my guess of the time - it looks like Sparky is wearing the shirt design from the subsequent two seasons, concluding in the FA Cup final victory in 1990.

There's a picture of the high nosed version of the Ferrari F310, either at Hockenheim or Monza due to the skinny rear wing, which dates that particular photo to between 26th July - 8th September 1996.

Captain Crunch

How about a nice tasteful painting of you and the squad?

shiftwork2

I think Dave Courtney's house got a thread of its own a while back.

Blue Jam

jobotic

More rooms = more windows = more curtains = more pelmets.

Or you could just keep pelmets in a lock up and go and look at them when you fancy it, you povvo.