Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trouble in Paradise: New House Edition

Started by confettiinmyhair, November 21, 2020, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I need some advice as I'm in a weird situation. For the first time in my life I was able to buy a new house. My wife and I moved into the new place earlier this month. Ten days after moving my wife tells me that she no longer loves me, and asks me to leave the house.

Now, we've had troubles in our relationships, and the stress of juggling lots of responsibilities during the pandemic have caused a lot of stress for our family and though we've been able to work through ruptures before, this one, especially the timing has come as a surprise.

At first I was asked to leave the home before Christmas. My wife had even arranged viewings for nearby rentals on Right Move. She has since extended this to being out by February.  I'm a bit perplexed as surely this news could have been given before we committed to the purchase. I'm also very reluctant to leave as this place is half mine but more important than that I'm concerned by the affect this will all have on our son.

I think the shock of this has taken me by surprise, and I'm not really sure what to do.

QDRPHNC

QDRPHNC

Also, sorry to hear it. Also, what the fuck is up with you wife? You need to talk to her, because your priority is managing this in the best interests of your son, not her.

rue the polywhirl

Don't know what to suggest. Draw a line through the house with chalk and claim one half as yours?

imitationleather

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I hope the OP doesn't mind me saying this, but it sounds like his wife is being unreasonable.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This is an incredibly level headed opening post given these obscene circumstances.

Hand Solo

Prob has been having an affair for a while and was waiting for the house to conveniently hove in to view before fucking you off.

I'm a very cynical person.

Glebe

Very sorry to hear it. Quite shocking. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn by suggesting that your wife sounds like an incredibly insensitive person.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 21, 2020, 10:21:29 PM
Prob has been having an affair for a while and was waiting for the house to conveniently hove in to view before fucking you off.

Sorry to say that was my first thought too. That's why he shouldn't leave, it doesn't look good when he rightfully goes after his rightful half of it.

Emma Raducanu

My wife actually left me because I'd lost a pair of our babies shoes. Luckily I found them and she came back. In short, women are mental.

Icehaven

Why doesn't she leave the house? If she's the one ending the relationship she has to take the hit. I was and I did.

Urinal Cake

I think because of the pandemic and presumably lockdown you have a justifiable reasons not to move. I would recommend you suggest couples counseling for a chance at reconciliation, to buy some time and to increase amiability. But be open to getting a lawyer for securing you and your son a financial future as soon as possible. Good luck.

Zetetic

Probably best to remove the house from the situation by burning it down or giving it to a trusted but impartial forum member (to burn down).

Hand Solo

Relevant questions: How long have you been married, and is the house in joint names?

Butchers Blind

Thanks for all of your responses.

We met in 2016, and our first wedding anniversary is due to happen next week. I have listened to my wife, and she just said she doesn't love me anymore. There's no sign of infidelity.  I've not done or said anything to harm her or our relationship. I don't know if the stress of the move affected her. She's currently in therapy, and struggled mostly juggling work and family stuff. I wonder if the house move became too much and tipped things over the edge.

The house is in joint names. Moving house has been a real stressor for the both of us. I think back, wondering if my anxiety was too much to deal with, or whether I lost focus on our relationship whilst getting the house move done.

Marner and Me

She was deffo waiting for the house to be brought, a marriage is an insurance policy for women.

poo

Have you tried crazy golf? It worked for Mr. T!

Hand Solo

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 21, 2020, 10:40:20 PM
She's currently in therapy

Is her therapist male, perchance?

jobotic

Quote from: Marner and Me on November 21, 2020, 10:41:11 PM
She was deffo waiting for the house to be brought, a marriage is an insurance policy for women.

Lovely. Brought where?

I have nothing useful to say, but empathy and good wishes to you confettiinmyhair

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 21, 2020, 10:58:04 PM
Is her therapist male, perchance?

Female, I believe.  They've not had too many sessions. Probably no more than 6 by this point. I don't tend to talk much about that with her, respecting privacy of the therapy space.

Hand Solo

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on November 21, 2020, 11:11:25 PM
Female, I believe.

Hmm, I wouldn't trust this version of events if it's coming directly from her, considering.

They've not had too many sessions. Probably no more than 6 by this point.

How long have they been going on, has she been in therapy before that?

QuoteI don't tend to talk much about that with her, respecting privacy of the therapy space.

Respecting that space is of course great, but also a massively conveniently grey area place to also do a load of shit behind your back, which it seems is definitely going on to me. And unless she's an incredibly flippant person or someone having an instant breakdown at a massively convenient time, with a marriage, property and a child involved she's definitely sought legal advice about all this before dropping it into your lap.

Marner and Me

Quote from: jobotic on November 21, 2020, 11:04:51 PM
Lovely. Brought where?

I have nothing useful to say, but empathy and good wishes to you confettiinmyhair
Brick by brick to her legal people too shatter this poor guys life and ruin him financially for the rest of his life.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm so sorry to hear this, the end of any relationship is horrendous but this seems particularly distressing, and I hope you're doing, well, the best that you can given such circumstances, and if you ever need to chat don't hesitate to get in touch.

I can't offer any advice alas, other than echoing the suggestion not to move out, and I hope somehow things are resolved.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Try always leaving the toilet seat up?

Emma Raducanu

Suggest going for a bike ride together.

I'm a very cyclical person.

Butchers Blind

At least you'll save money on one Xmas present this year.

Urinal Cake

Practically it shouldn't matter whether she's having an affair, if this is some sugar-hubby situation etc. If she wants a separation she's going to get a separation. Maybe you can work out a roommate like scenario.

From what I understand in the UK mediation is highly recommended for divorces.  But if you go to Court the important things the Court will take into account are who is the primary breadwinner, who is the primary caregiver of your son, why was the house bought (presumably to take care of your son) and what you want visitation to look like etc.

Also since both of you seem to have wellbeing issues be prepared for it to get ugly and public.