Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Crown Hotel, Bawtry

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 22, 2020, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://youtu.be/GJb0Izry818

If you're racing at Doncaster, this is the place to stay.

shiftwork2

The little mug-off in the bedroom mirror was my favourite moment.  On my fourth rewatch so will report back.

Marner and Me

He really thinks he's in with those birds

JamesTC

Fambo Number Mive

I like how he salutes the camera with his little pot of cream

Jockice

I've been to Bawtry you know. It is exactly like that.

Fambo Number Mive

I always judge a hotel on the restaurant's chandelier, so glad they included that.

Sebastian Cobb

I once stayed at the Britannia in central Manchester, and when going for a post-gig pint in a hotel in the centre of manchester the first thing someone said to me when I put my order in at the bar was "you're not from round here are you?"

"no, that's why I'm in a hotel"

I mean, I've lived places where the local is a hotel bar, but you'd think in the middle of a fucking massive city, outsiders wouldn't be unusual.

Icehaven

Why is the TV facing away from the bed? Why is he eating pudding when the rest of the table are eating main courses? Why is the hotel only patronised by young women talking amongst themselves? Why does this exist?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2020, 02:46:39 PM
Why is the TV facing away from the bed? Why is he eating pudding when the rest of the table are eating main courses? Why is the hotel only patronised by young women talking amongst themselves? Why does this exist?

For ladies who like a day at the races, gin and horrible old rich men.

Fambo Number Mive

As you can see, the bar area is always full of young women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqYfMvEeiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGfuokPp3ME

The hotel also seems to be very big on strawberries in drinks.

In fairness it looks like a very nice place to stay.

honeychile

Greg James has been taking the piss out of this for ages on Radio 1.

If there had been no overt way of dating it, i think i'd have guessed it came from 1991.

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: honeychile on November 22, 2020, 03:47:09 PM
Greg James has been taking the piss out of this for ages on Radio 1.

If there had been no overt way of dating it, i think i'd have guessed it came from 1991.

Trying to find a really bleak youtube video from the late 80's/early 90's of a Pontins type place with some bloke who sounded like Jeff from Byker Grove, it was great.

touchingcloth

Is a bawtry where bawbags grow?

Psybro

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 22, 2020, 03:23:41 PM
As you can see, the bar area is always full of young women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqYfMvEeiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGfuokPp3ME

The hotel also seems to be very big on strawberries in drinks.

In fairness it looks like a very nice place to stay.

I stayed here the night before my wedding and it was nice, there were no berry brown sex pests, and the hot breakfast was up there.

I wonder if this is one of those deliberately bad ads to get eyes on it, like the Government.

badaids

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 22, 2020, 04:01:07 PM
Trying to find a really bleak youtube video from the late 80's/early 90's of a Pontins type place with some bloke who sounded like Jeff from Byker Grove, it was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KwCY7AFyc0

Is it this one?  Bleak man.  The punters interviewed like it because it's not that much more than a caravan and the children can't play in the road.

There's that one with the Irish bloke in the pub that's both physically sickening and amusingly engrossing.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 22, 2020, 02:34:33 PM
I once stayed at the Britannia in central Manchester

You're still alive, so this is clearly untrue.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: badaids on November 22, 2020, 08:53:03 PM

Is it this one?  Bleak man.  The punters interviewed like it because it's not that much more than a caravan and the children can't play in the road.

There's that one with the Irish bloke in the pub that's both physically sickening and amusingly engrossing.

That's the one! love the bit with the boats on the lake where the aerial shots show clear blue water then the ground shots show a green-brown swamp.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 22, 2020, 04:01:07 PM

I'm not joking here, when I was a kid I used to dream about going somewhere like this. As discussed on another thread not long ago, my parents just didn't do holidays so I had to wait until I was 15 for anything like a family holiday, That took place in a caravan park in Anstruther, with facilities not all that different (in fact in many cases markedly inferior) to those on offer here. I had a great time.

Jockice

Anstruther Holiday Village!! Shut since 2009. But it has its own Facebook page and everything. https://www.facebook.com/Anstruther-holiday-village-kids-630704127086048

I'd waited so long for a proper holiday with my folks (and various other relatives were involved as well. I somehow suspect it wasn't my mum and dad's idea but they just went along with it) I savoured every second of this.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 22, 2020, 02:34:33 PM
I once stayed at the Britannia in central Manchester, and when going for a post-gig pint in a hotel in the centre of manchester the first thing someone said to me when I put my order in at the bar was "you're not from round here are you?"

"no, that's why I'm in a hotel"

I mean, I've lived places where the local is a hotel bar, but you'd think in the middle of a fucking massive city, outsiders wouldn't be unusual.
oh man the britannia is so bad, even though it's an amazing building. bit like the grand in scarborough. never stayed in either tbh although I have considered it just for the bants

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on November 22, 2020, 11:12:45 PM
I'm not joking here, when I was a kid I used to dream about going somewhere like this. As discussed on another thread not long ago, my parents just didn't do holidays so I had to wait until I was 15 for anything like a family holiday.

I was 14. I got this wrong last time too.

Icehaven

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 22, 2020, 11:43:20 PM
oh man the britannia is so bad, even though it's an amazing building. bit like the grand in scarborough. never stayed in either tbh although I have considered it just for the bants

The Brittania in Birmingham city centre is apparently one of the worst hotels in the country. Must be a Brittania thing.

Paul Calf

Quote from: badaids on November 22, 2020, 08:53:03 PM

I lost it here:

That poor fucking chicken. That's no dignity.

I'm seriously considering going vegetarian.

Paul Calf

Also, this comment:

QuoteSuch great times stylish and beautiful. Not like now with crappy Britannia hotels running  Pontins into to the ground. So sad no care or respect for customers, filthy chalets, having to pay for electric,  chavvy clientele, rude staff. If I had the money I'd buy Pontins and return it to its former glory. Make all their sites half or full board and treat paying customers with the RESPECT and service they deserve. Pontins needs rescuing before it's too late and Britannia hotels wrecks what's left.

Paradise itself before those slithering serpents at Britannia Hotels slid into the garden and poisoned the watershed.

buttgammon

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 22, 2020, 11:43:20 PM

Much as I love the rose windows, I've never even entertained staying there. The Midland is another beautiful Manchester building, but also a very good (if expensive) hotel.

Fambo Number Mive

"That ham's bigger than a football!"

It's got to feed a lot of people though, it's not like you get a ham the size of a football with each room.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 23, 2020, 08:37:22 AM
Also, this comment:

Quotefilthy chalets, having to pay for electric, chavvy clientele, rude staff.

Paradise itself before those slithering serpents at Britannia Hotels slid into the garden and poisoned the watershed.

For some reason I read this all as one bit, as if the person was forced to pay for chavvy clientele who were electric. It's almost a beautiful Ginsbergian bit of phrasing when read like that.

imitationleather

I have been to many Bang Face Weekenders at Pontins. It's very weird to be utterly wrecked in accommodation that was originally built for family holidays.