Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Crown Hotel, Bawtry

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 22, 2020, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on November 23, 2020, 08:24:10 PM
I have been to many Bang Face Weekenders at Pontins. It's very weird to be utterly wrecked in accommodation that was originally built for family holidays.

Have they been done up or do they still look like they do in that promo vid? I've seen the videos of dBridge beating Steve Davis, the games room had definitely seen better days.

Icehaven

I have been to many Bang Face Weekenders at Pontins. It's very weird to be utterly wrecked in accommodation that was originally built for family holidays.

Some friends of mine regularly go to Hard Rock Heaven festivals at Butlins in Wales or Minehead. I've never been but I did go to the Minehead one on holiday when I was about 9, and although it must have changed a lot in the 30 years since I still can't imagine it being a metal festival site.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I went to the Butlins in Minehead when I was in the Scouts, just a day visit though as we were camping elsewhere. It was a bit like a carnival.

The Culture Bunker

Having been to Southport Pontins and (several times) Ayr Butlins, I'd say that the parents of the families were generally as wrecked as you may have been, though perhaps in a more bleak fashion.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 23, 2020, 08:38:10 PM
Have they been done up or do they still look like they do in that promo vid?

They've been done up since then, but still don't look great. A lot of the chalets still don't have microwaves.

badaids

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 22, 2020, 10:39:02 PM
That's the one! love the bit with the boats on the lake where the aerial shots show clear blue water then the ground shots show a green-brown swamp.

I love the bit where it Laurie McMenemy says the chalet has 'all the comfort of home' and it cuts to a cell sized room something between Steptoe and Son and Ritchie and Eddie's Flat.

'And the Historic port of Rye is only about 5 miles away' - cuts to a pile of rotting fishing equipment and decaying boats.

Sebastian Cobb

lol yes, a cell with a Tricity Bendix stove in it.

Fambo Number Mive

Why do the chalet bedside tables not have drawers in them?

idunnosomename

Quote from: icehaven on November 23, 2020, 08:16:42 AM
The Brittania in Birmingham city centre is apparently one of the worst hotels in the country. Must be a Brittania thing.
yes Britannia have a consistently terrible reputation. They own the Grand, and also Pontins

Remember a couple of years ago when they cancelled a charity block booking for rough sleepers at Christmas?

Menu

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 24, 2020, 12:30:57 PM
yes Britannia have a consistently terrible reputation. They own the Grand, and also Pontins
They also own the notoriously bad Adelphi in Liverpool, of 'Just cook will yer!" fly on the wall (and in the soup) documentary 'fame'. It's sad because in it's prime in the early to mid 20th century it was world reknowned as the most luxurious hotel outside London.

On the Pontins front, Holiday On the Buses was filmed at Pontins in Prestatyn (currently rated 2.6 stars on TripAdvisor). The Army personnel who are running the mass Covid-19 testing programme in Liverpool at the moment are being put up at Pontins in Ainsdale, which is better than a tent I suppose, but not by much.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: badaids on November 22, 2020, 08:53:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KwCY7AFyc0

Is it this one?  Bleak man.  The punters interviewed like it because it's not that much more than a caravan and the children can't play in the road.

There's that one with the Irish bloke in the pub that's both physically sickening and amusingly engrossing.

Fuck me.

David Fairs is probably now in prison for sex offences and I swear the man who spouts "children can't play on the road" is the same guy from the "Speak Your Brains" segment of The Day Today being asked what the letter of the law is. As for the chalets, I've seen more comfortable looking prison cells and the " famous" Pontin's salad bar seemed to be 2 types of green salad, tomatoes and about 8 bowls of sludge.

Desperate.

Paul Calf

"All the girls at Pontins are as good looking as these two".

Can't say that these days can you? Health and Safety gone mad.

idunnosomename

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KwCY7AFyc0

Is it this one?  Bleak man.  The punters interviewed like it because it's not that much more than a caravan and the children can't play in the road.

There's that one with the Irish bloke in the pub that's both physically sickening and amusingly engrossing.
just watched all of this and the sheer desolation i felt after the manager's final pitch with the two "female staff" hanging off him was perhaps the most profound i have ever felt.

Norton Canes

Quote from: buzby on November 25, 2020, 08:29:34 AM
On the Pontins front, Holiday On the Buses was filmed at Pontins in Prestatyn (currently rated 2.6 stars on TripAdvisor)

I think we might have stayed in that when the kids were little and we got a 'Pontins for £1' voucher in one of the tabloids. You know the game 'The floor is lava'? We spent the whole three days playing 'The carpet is mulch', except it wasn't a game.

Still, as someone who loves brutalist style architecture there was much for me to appreciate.

non capisco

Is it this one?

That guy looming in the shadows during the nightmarish disco section makes it look like something out of Fire Walk With Me. Deep fried edam? Deep fried garmonbozia more like.

steve98

Is that something people actually order, deep-fried wedges of cheese?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: steve98 on November 27, 2020, 02:48:38 AM
Is that something people actually order, deep-fried wedges of cheese?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sma%C5%BEen%C3%BD_s%C3%BDr

Extremely popular dish and on virtually every menu in Czechia and Slovakia. Can be found in Germany, Poland, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria too.

Fairly good with decent tartare sauce and a beer.

checkoutgirl

"This is my favourite, you find yours".

touchingcloth

Was there guy who ordered deep-fried cheese Scotch? He looked presentable, but something about the way he spoke had a touch of the Dee Dee.

Sebastian Cobb

If he was scotch and he wanted deep fried cheese it'd have come attached to the rest of the frozen pizza.

Cuellar

Quote from: non capisco on November 27, 2020, 01:30:50 AM
Is it this one?

That guy looming in the shadows during the nightmarish disco section makes it look like something out of Fire Walk With Me. Deep fried edam? Deep fried garmonbozia more like.

"Miles Forman, Ivan Lentil, and Frank Kafka"

touchingcloth

Miles Foreman was a highlight. "You know, the little fella there from the One Flew Over the Kind of Grill."

badaids

Quote from: non capisco on November 27, 2020, 01:30:50 AM
Is it this one?

It is. I wish i had a suit that was both too short and too long both at the same time.