Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moral bankruptcy on film

Started by touchingcloth, November 22, 2020, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Are films still being made which seem lovely and funny and wholesome at face value, yet have darkness lurking beneath the surface? Obvious examples are:

Mrs Doubtfire

If this were IRL, Robbie William would have had a restraining order slapped on him at the very minimum, and a sectioning seems more likely.

As Good as It Gets

There's not much which isn't wrong about the May-September relationship between Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. He's mental and awful, and she forgives him because romcom.

Big

Elizabeth Perkins fucks a 13 year old.

13 Going on 30

Mark Ruffalo fucks a 13 year old.

Any films which fall into this category which are newer than 15 years old? They don't all have to involve underage sex with 13 year olds.

Duran Duran consider etc.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Boat That Rocked made a jolly wheeze out of tricking a groupie into having sex with the wrong bloke.

Urinal Cake

The obvious answer is Love Actually which before the backlash was seen as the rom-com for the lads.

Another one is Kung-Fu Panda which tells children inherit talent will overcome laziness and obesity.

JaDanketies

In Frozen, Anna and Elsa's parents seal them in the castle from when they are just little kids, isolating them from the outside world completely. In fact, it seems like Elsa spends the rest of her childhood and teenage years in one room. To exacerbate the problem, the parents then get lost at sea during Anna and Elsa's teenage years. And the castle is only opened when Elsa hits 21, where she has spent almost all of her life in apparent solitary confinement.

It would be unsurprising if, at the end of the film, it reveals that it was all a fantastical hallucination of Elsa, who is still trapped in the room.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Duran Duran consi must..maintain...dignity.

ETA: Should...also...have read....the....fucking....opening...post.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Grease

Not quite as bad as the other examples, but: " Girls! Want to bag yourself a man? Then be a complete slapper! You'll have yer feller then, right enough ( You'll probably also have cystitis from those tight trews)!

Gulftastic

It's tough to think of any non PG  comedy film post Animal House that doesn't feature lads spying on naked lasses. Seemed to fuck off in the mainstream after the American pies.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Four Weddings And A Funeral

Everyone seems fine about the fact that Andie McTrowel is clearly marrying that old, rich cunt  for his money ( she's also literally called a gold- digging slut by Kirsten Terry - Thomas' character- she literally  * does* use that word about her at the start of the film, before AMcT goes on to fuck Hughdent Grant within half an hour of meeting of him, so maybe it all balances out).

Gulftastic

In supreme shlock fest Armageddon, it's heavily implied that Steve Buscemi's character is a peado.

Are you not thinking of supreme schlock fest Con Air?

Urinal Cake

I thought Buscemi was alright because he did not rape the girl hence he was cured.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 22, 2020, 12:01:28 PM
Are you not thinking of supreme schlock fest Con Air?

There *is* something about Steve Buscemi's character having a penchant for underage girls in Armageddon ( not actual  children, mind you).

El Unicornio, mang

Twilight - a 100 year old fucks a 17-year old

touchingcloth

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 22, 2020, 11:11:49 AM
The obvious answer is Love Actually which before the backlash was seen as the rom-com for the lads.

There was a backlash? In my memory the opinion of sensible people from its release has been that it's "fucking shit".

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 22, 2020, 12:46:04 PM
Twilight - a 100 year old fucks a 17-year old

Ah, if he's 100 then no wonder he's got gout.

Kelvin

Han Solo (literally) corning Leia in the Falcon's cupboard, trying to make her kiss him.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 22, 2020, 12:03:45 PM
I thought Buscemi was alright because he did not rape the girl hence he was cured.

It's a shit 'aaah you thought he was going to rape and kill the little girl but he just sits down and plays tea party with her because he's a nice guy really even though he's a murdering psychopath high-security inmate' moment. But I suppose they were homaging the scene in Frankenstein where the monster plays with the little girl?

Quote from: Kelvin on November 22, 2020, 02:18:56 PM
Han Solo (literally) corning Leia in the Falcon's cupboard, trying to make her kiss him.
Although it has nothing on the "love scene" in Blade Runner. Then there's Indiana Jones' relationship with an underage Marion Ravenwood. Harrison Ford played some right dodgy fuckers.

touchingcloth

Han Solo (literally) corning Leia in the Falcon's cupboard

I bet he did, the dirty Solo bollocks, I bet he bloody did.

lipsink

In Groundhog Day Bill Murray cons a woman into sleeping with him because he pretends he went to school with her.

Gulftastic

Quote from: lipsink on November 22, 2020, 05:19:44 PM
In Groundhog Day Bill Murray cons a woman into sleeping with him because he pretends he went to school with her.

And has to check the age of the one he cons into dressing up as a french maid.

El Unicornio, mang

Bond cornering the nurse in Thunderball and telling her he'll report her if she doesn't sleep with him.

BlodwynPig

Does the same in Blade runner, I think in the lift. May even rape her?

touchingcloth

Quote from: lipsink on November 22, 2020, 05:19:44 PM

God yes, that subplot of Groundhog Day is peak moral bankruptcy. And he kills that tramp when he gets frustrated by failing to get his end away so many times.

Gulftastic

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 22, 2020, 05:45:16 PM
God yes, that subplot of Groundhog Day is peak moral bankruptcy. And he kills that tramp when he gets frustrated by failing to get his end away so many times.

There's certainly no sign of old Harry Ramp on his final 'perfect' day.

bgmnts

The Empire cutting costs on the Death Star and leaving a huge weakness there, just to maximise profits.

Doubt they even had sufficient cladding either.

Gulftastic

Much like the dwarves who dug the Mines Of Moria, the Empire only pays lip service to health and safety. Not a handrail in sight. At least the Death Star appears to be wheelchair accessible.

touchingcloth

Dante Hicks wasn't even supposed to be working that day, yet America's lax and morally bankrupt labour laws enabled his boss to compel him to be there.

mjwilson

Creed 2 establishes, in its first half, how the greatest mistake of Rocky's life was letting Apollo be killed in the ring, and that if someone is getting the absolute shit kicked out of them during a boxing, it is your moral duty as trainer to withdraw them from the fight. This lesson is carefully drawn so that you understand it even if you haven't seen any other Rocky films. Then it is thoroughly ignored because the most important thing is winning after all.

studpuppet

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 22, 2020, 11:43:42 AM
It's tough to think of any non PG  comedy film post Animal House that doesn't feature lads spying on naked lasses. Seemed to fuck off in the mainstream after the American pies.

Let's not forget that Animal House also has one character almost having sex with a drunk thirteen year old and then having sex with her later when she's sober (although that may have been legal in the sixties in whatever state Faber is in?).

Grease also has an uncomfortable slightly rapey scene in the car (but not as bad as Saturday Night Fever's).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That Carry On Film with Phil Silvers, wherein Jim Dale's fiancee is coming to visit him for a right nice surprise, and basically gets raped by various folk on her way to get there, but doesn't seem to mind.
Example:
THAT FELLER WHO PLAYED THE COACH DRIVER ON CARRY ON CAMPING ( Playing a Ticket Inspector, upon noticing that Jim Dale ' s fiancee is travelling unaccompanied) : Are you travelling on your own, missy?

JIM DAVE'S FIANCEE Ho,yus.
* A LOOK OF RAPEY APPRECIATION CROSSES THE FEATURES OF TFWPTCDOCOC ' S FACE. WITHIN A MATTER OF SECONDS HE HAS CLOSED THE CURTAINS AND APPROCHED JDF, AND HAS OBVIOUSLY GOT HIS COCK OUT AND DOING ALL SORTS*

JDF ( Giggling, I mean, actually giggling, watch the fucking film): Ooh! What a funny way to inspect my ticket! By actually fucking raping me!

Even as a youngster watching that film, I found it all very dubious.