Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moral bankruptcy on film

Started by touchingcloth, November 22, 2020, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 22, 2020, 03:07:42 PM
Although it has nothing on the "love scene" in Blade Runner.

It's probably giving too much credit to what is just a dated (dodgy) scene, but that bit isn't necessarily out of place given that he knows she's a replicant and the overarching point of the film is that he's a willing participant in a system that murders these sentient beings and views them as subhuman.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 23, 2020, 03:31:01 AMthat bit isn't necessarily out of place given that he knows she's a replicant and the overarching point of the film is that he's a willing participant in a system that murders these sentient beings and views them as subhuman.

Sexy romantic saxophone musical score begs to differ

touchingcloth

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 23, 2020, 09:05:27 AM

Player by a portly, sweaty and extremely hairy man all hunched up over his synth. Phwooooar.

buzby

Quote from: Kelvin on November 22, 2020, 02:18:56 PM
Han Solo (literally) corning Leia in the Falcon's cupboard, trying to make her kiss him.
He cops a feel of Leia after she gets shot outside the bunker on Endor too.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 23, 2020, 03:31:01 AM
It's probably giving too much credit to what is just a dated (dodgy) scene, but that bit isn't necessarily out of place given that he knows she's a replicant and the overarching point of the film is that he's a willing participant in a system that murders these sentient beings and views them as subhuman.
On one level, it's a replay of the standard film noir trope of the private eye forcing himself on the femme fatale who resists initially and then succumbs to his advances. It's made slighly more complex in Blade Runner by the fact that Rachel is attracted to Deckard (and he is to her) but she is inexperienced with emotions, struggling to come to terms with the revelation that she's a replicant whose memories are a lie and whether she can trust Deckard as his job is to 'retire' beings like her. Deckard asking her to repeat what he says is part of this. The unused, more graphic version of the scene is less sympathetic to Deckard (Sean Young did not enjoy the experience of filming it either, and some of her distress probably came through) so it was ultimately a good decision not to use it.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 23, 2020, 09:43:45 AM
Player by a portly, sweaty and extremely hairy man all hunched up over his synth. Phwooooar.
The sax on Blade Runner's Love Theme was played by the veteran UK jazz musician Dick Morrissey. Vangelis provided the backing on the CS80.

EOLAN

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Native tribes getting their own culture's artefacts stolen off them by a white group who may not be as bad as the other bunch of white guys; but are still stealing from the tribes so they can store stuff in big warehouses.

Also; our "hero" effectively has committed statutory rape; emotionally manipulating a young woman who he left and has turned into a severe alcoholic and probably a drug addict when he looks to enter back into her life. But all ok as her young self "knew what she was doing" back then.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth has put things more succinctly on the prior page

Sebastian Cobb

Nick Hornby's An Education.

I think it's supposed to be twee but basically just features a 16 year old girl who wanted to go to oxford getting preyed on by a poncey serial adulteror with the girl's parents apparent blessing because of upward social mobility.

greenman

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 23, 2020, 09:05:27 AM

The score does actually shift in nature when its happening though, the sax stops and you get some menacing sounding descending synths instead. That and Fords harsh look I think gives a pretty clear indication it was intensional rather than just outdated although I'd imagine you'd have sucha scene shown less ambiguously today.

It seems less that Deckard thinks he can do it because she's a replicant of the sort he hunts and more that there is a nastier side to him that isn't just limited to his work, he can't go around shooting women in the back and then be a charming lover the rest of the time until he's had a bigger shock to the system.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 22, 2020, 06:16:28 PM
Dante Hicks wasn't even supposed to be working that day, yet America's lax and morally bankrupt labour laws enabled his boss to compel him to be there.

And then his girlfriend fucks a dead guy probablybeensaidalreadyonthenewpage

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: greenman on November 23, 2020, 12:47:38 PM
The score does actually shift in nature when its happening though, the sax stops and you get some menacing sounding descending synths instead. That and Fords harsh look I think gives a pretty clear indication it was intensional rather than just outdated although I'd imagine you'd have sucha scene shown less ambiguously today.

I'm not sure. In general I think Blade Runner handles pretty much all of its subject matter pretty shoddily and it's given the benefit of the doubt because it looks and sounds very pretty. Personally I've felt it rather hollow.

Re: dubious nature of the music. Interesting interpretation but I don't feel it. Worth noting it's the same piece of music played in the original, very much not ambiguous, 'shoe-horned' happy ending where they ride off into the sunset. I suppose you could argue there's uncertainty in that ending, but I'm pretty sure Scott's on record for disowning it since it's not made the cut since the theatrical release

touchingcloth

Forrest Gump

The universe punishes Jenny for being an unapologetically sexually-active woman. By killing her with AIDS.

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 23, 2020, 02:12:08 PM
I've now spent too long researching this.

Basically yes, she did die from AIDS.

In the Forrest Gump book, Jenny doesn't die. In the film, she says she has some new disease and it isn't mentioned explicitly what it is - but it's 1982, the year AIDS was named, and the film gives the impression that it's AIDS as punishment for doing drugs, being a hippie and being a female who intentionally has sex.

Then, after the film was released another Forrest Gump book was written which remembered to kill off the high hippy whore. To be a contrarian fucker, they kill her with hepatitus-C. To be fair, Jenny getting AIDs was pretty unlikely - she would have been one of the first women to get it. The AIDS name replaced the previous name GRID, Gay Related Immunodeficiency Disease in 1982, as that's when they realised it didn't just effect gay men.

One problem with either disease is that they kill her too quick. So we can be sure Forrest Gump Jr doesn't have Hep-C, Jenny is only supposed to catch it when she has a relapse after having sex with Forrest, in that gap where he goes running and everyone is waiting for the film to end. That means it develops life ending symptoms in around 4 years at most, while people typically live with Hep-C for decades.

Blue Jam

The Hottie And The Nottie

If you are not conventionally attractive and can't find love, have extensive cosmetic work done and people who were previously repulsed by you will fall in love with you.

Even the problematic source material, The Taming Of The Shrew, isn't that morally dodgy.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

One of the Space Marines in Doom (the film) says that when he next gets weekend leave, he intends to spend it in a hotel room with three ladyboys.

Gulftastic

Is that morally bankrupt? Aside from the argument against prostitution, if they are all consenting adults, good luck to them

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He pulls a creepy face when he says it.

Urinal Cake

In Forrest Gump there was also the part where Gump jumps on a guy for hitting Jenny and all the Black Panthers just stand around and when it's finished the BP just ask them both to leave. If it was just an isolated incident you could just say maybe they were just cunts but with the whole Conservative strain of the movie it feels like, 'Black people don't care about violence towards women.'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: EOLAN on November 23, 2020, 11:55:06 AM
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Native tribes getting their own culture's artefacts stolen off them by a white group who may not be as bad as the other bunch of white guys; but are still stealing from the tribes so they can store stuff in big warehouses.

Also; our "hero" effectively has committed statutory rape; emotionally manipulating a young woman who he left and has turned into a severe alcoholic and probably a drug addict when he looks to enter back into her life. But all ok as her young self "knew what she was doing" back then.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth has put things more succinctly on the prior page

I think this one has been trodden over loads of times. Indiana Jones is not depicted to be a saint, he's specifically depicted to be a reckless but charismatic scoundrel. He's also very clearly a brave character who is preventing something many dimensions worse from happening. In order to make that work they need to make the enemy the worst people to ever exist, but they are the worst people to ever exist, so there you go. This is before even bringing up that this is a homage to blood and thunder Boy's Own Adventure stories and so is inherently broad brush and caricatured because it would be failing in its primary purpose if it wasn't. It's a live action comic.

As for the hand-wringing over the plunder of the third world there is no evidence whatsoever Raiders is saying stealing artefacts from indigenous cultures is a a good thing, and it would take all manner of blinkered tendentiousness to come away from the film thinking that. There are even specific scenes where the baddies point out what they are doing is not so very different.

Stopping some Nazis from communicating with God, or at least trying to doesn't seem to me the apex of moral bankruptcy.

Oh and its set in the 1940s ok then cheers bye

touchingcloth

He does extort that blowie by suggesting that the thug who got minced by the umbrella had thumped him in the cock. Naughty Indy!

greenman

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 23, 2020, 04:52:27 PM
I'm not sure. In general I think Blade Runner handles pretty much all of its subject matter pretty shoddily and it's given the benefit of the doubt because it looks and sounds very pretty. Personally I've felt it rather hollow.

Re: dubious nature of the music. Interesting interpretation but I don't feel it. Worth noting it's the same piece of music played in the original, very much not ambiguous, 'shoe-horned' happy ending where they ride off into the sunset. I suppose you could argue there's uncertainty in that ending, but I'm pretty sure Scott's on record for disowning it since it's not made the cut since the theatrical release

That scene at the end was tacked on quite late though using leftover Shining helicopter footage and just reused the Vangelis score that was composed directly for the original love scene footage. That and the look Ford gives I think suggests quite strongly the film knows what he's doing is questionable, or rather the manner in which he's doing it. I mean its the same director who's previous film is full of allusions to rape so I don't think its likely he'd be unaware of it, even in Blade Runner there are plenty of other references to the female replicants being sexually exploited.

touchingcloth

"Do you like our owl?"

"It looks tight."

"Very."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 23, 2020, 10:09:29 PM
Stopping some Nazis from communicating with God getting their faces melted, or at least trying to doesn't seem to me the apex of moral bankruptcy.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 23, 2020, 10:20:41 PM
"Do you like our owl?"

"It looks tight."

"Very."

Curiosity got the better of me, and I just read the QR code under your username on my phone.

Disgusting.

Like virtually all blockbuster action heroes, especially in the 1980s, Indiana Jones is also a cold blooded murderer who kills or leads to the deaths of countless people.

(Blade Runner is closer to reality/morality in that respect, in that the fact that the hero kills sentient beings is considered a significant and somewhat ambiguous part of the plot)

magval

Quote from: greenman on November 23, 2020, 10:17:44 PM
even in Blade Runner there are plenty of other references to the female replicants being sexually exploited.

Isn't Pris referred to as a 'pleasure model'?

Shaky

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 23, 2020, 11:11:37 PM
Like virtually all blockbuster action heroes, especially in the 1980s, Indiana Jones is also a cold blooded murderer who kills or leads to the deaths of countless people.

They're all baddies, though, and they're trying to kill him. It's not like he just starts firing wildly at his students.

buzby

Quote from: magval on November 24, 2020, 06:43:50 AM
Isn't Pris referred to as a 'pleasure model'?
Yes 'a basic pleasure model, the standard item for military clubs in the outer colonies'. created specifically for sexual exploitation. The same thing is also mentioned in BR2049 in Luv's video call with a prospective customer where she asks if they want to add some pleasure models onto their order for an off-world mining facility, and of course there is the brothel full of replicant prostitutes where Mariette works.

Fr.Bigley

Ferris Bueller: Little shit is lying left right and centre, Feigns disease, Lies about his whereabouts and worst of all, gets his mate to nick then total his dads car all whilst giving us the 4th wall "it's ok because I'm a rich kid in the 80's". 

JaDanketies

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 24, 2020, 12:27:59 PM
Ferris Bueller: Little shit is lying left right and centre, Feigns disease, Lies about his whereabouts and worst of all, gets his mate to nick then total his dads car all whilst giving us the 4th wall "it's ok because I'm a rich kid in the 80's".

And his mate then fakes a disability and pretends to be in a catatonic state so he can spy on his best friend's girlfriend while she changes.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 24, 2020, 12:42:44 PM
And his mate then fakes a disability and pretends to be in a catatonic state so he can spy on his best friend's girlfriend while she changes.

Scum, Subhuman scum.

Sebastian Cobb

His mate isn't a real person though, it's all just alter-Ferris.