Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Is Going To Happen With The Oscars Next Year?

Started by SteveDave, November 23, 2020, 11:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Phil_A

Who's going to win? Who's going to lose?
I got the Oscar Fever, hope you got it too!

Bad Ambassador

They've fiddled the rules for a one-off, with the eligibility period extended to the end of February and films from streaming services being allowed to qualify without having to have a theatrical run. Awards Daily lists the following as likely Best Picture candidates:

Nomadland (Frances McDormand as a woman roaming early-2010s America)
Mank (David Fincher directing the creation of Citizen Kane, centred on Gary Oldman as Joe Mankewicz)
The Father (Dementia drama with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman)
The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin writes and directs, starring Sacha Baron Cohen)
Minari (Drama about Korean-Americans in Arkansas)
One Night in Miami (Regina King directs story of fictional meeting between Malcolm X, Muhammed Ali, Jim Brown and Sam Cooke)
On the Rocks (Sofia Coppola directs Bill Murray as louche millionaire enlisted by daughter Rashida Jones to follow her husband)
Hillbilly Elegy (Appalachian memoir directed by Ron Howard, with Glenn Close and Amy Adams)
The Outpost (Afghan war movie with Scott Eastwood)
Tenet (Twisty-turny timey-wimey, from the director of Insomnia)
Promising Young Woman (Femimism-based black comedy by Killing Eve's Emerald Fennell)
Spree (Social media comedy horror. No idea why it's on this list)
Da Five Bloods (Spike Lee's Vietnam heist drama)

So there's a fair selection of stuff, not even counting a few very well-received films that aren't on the list.

El Unicornio, mang

Think it'll definitely be between Mank and Tenet. The former has been getting rave reviews. I'd like to see I'm Thinking of Ending Things get something.

Bad Ambassador

I thought Swallow was the best film I've seen so far this year. It would be nice to see The Invisible Man get some sort of recognition as well. It seems to have been much better received by critics and audiences than Tenet, and it's one of the few genuine hits of the year.

El Unicornio, mang

I quite liked The Invisible Man, aside from the last half hour, but horror movies rarely make an impression at the Oscars, sadly. Midsommar and Hereditary being two recent examples that got zero nominations.

Sebastian Cobb

Some shit'll win and we'll argue about whether it deserves to win (it doesn't).

thugler

Why in fuck should Tenet be up for anything, probably the worst film I've seen.

Keebleman

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 23, 2020, 01:51:15 PM

Mank (David Fincher directing the creation of Citizen Kane, centred on Gary Oldman as Joe Mankewicz)

Herman Mankiewicz.  Joe was his brother.

greenman

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 23, 2020, 02:09:30 PM
I quite liked The Invisible Man, aside from the last half hour, but horror movies rarely make an impression at the Oscars, sadly. Midsommar and Hereditary being two recent examples that got zero nominations.

You could argue its both been more popular and has more obvious liberal politics within it though similar to Get Out.

Bad Ambassador

Billy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 23, 2020, 02:16:28 PM
Some shit'll win and we'll argue about whether it deserves to win (it doesn't).

The nominations are:

* Dull biopic that messes with the real story so much that it ceases being a useful or accurate portrayal of history at all, but it's got That Famous Actor/Actress in playing That Famous Real Life Person so go see it even if you don't give a shit about what happens

* Popular mainstream multiplex hit which has no chance of winning but it's in there to show how cool and trendy the awards can be and not just a load of semi-obscure limited releases that only get shown at Picturehouse and Curzon every January

* Genuinely good film that becomes a classic and the one that everyone eventually agrees should have won but it was far too "out there" for the Oscar voters of the time

* Mediocre Oscar-bait that tiresomely ticks every box one after the other and shows little originality but is lovely and safe and offends nobody (WINNER)

* Black Panther

Historically unprecedented chance that the people voting will actually have seen most of the nominees this year.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 24, 2020, 03:26:25 AM
Historically unprecedented chance that the people voting will actually have seen most of the nominees this year.
At least the ones up for best picture. Best actress will still go to someone they like who's in a film nobody's seen.

touchingcloth