Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast In America

Started by Malcy, November 23, 2020, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Matt Berry is returning as Toast, heading to America to further his acting career. Moving from C4 to the BBC and being filmed here. Arthur Mathews has 5 years worth of material written apparently. Interview here.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6069/steven-toast-returns-via-bbc/

ASFTSN

Hmmmm. Been re-watching the original recently, I suppose this could work, but the fantasy/pseudo-timewarp version of Soho is a big part of the appeal for me.

thr0b

Though this surely means we'll be getting a pseudo-Timewarp Hollywood or similar. Which could be just as good.

Brundle-Fly

It'll be a shame to lose some characters like Ed. It might be a bit contrived having him coming over the pond to try his luck too. I suppose Ray Purchase turning up on some Hollywood set much to Toast's chagrin could be fun though.

ASFTSN

Quote from: thr0b on November 23, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
Though this surely means we'll be getting a pseudo-Timewarp Hollywood or similar. Which could be just as good.

True, this has potential for amusing Toast style stupid worldbuilding:

However, although it is set in the USA, producers Objective Fiction will film the new episodes in the UK, making the locations and sets look American.

BeardFaceMan

If there's no Clem Fandango, I'm not interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grp-hFT2_u0

The scream in that first clip slays me every time.

imitationleather

I hope Mrs Purchase isn't in it.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on November 23, 2020, 01:52:55 PM
I hope Mrs Purchase isn't it.

Yes. Although the fact that Mathews is still talking about going ahead with the Father Ted musical indicates he's happy to work with the most loathsome of people.

pancreas

Should be 'Toast of America' no? In order to make the joke work the first thing that happens is that he finds out he was born in a plane in American airspace.

petril

Quote from: pancreas on November 23, 2020, 08:15:45 PM
Should be 'Toast of America' no? In order to make the joke work the first thing that happens is that he finds out he was born in a plane in American airspace.

they've got plenty of Londons there

GoblinAhFuckScary

Huh. Had the strong impression cabbers hated Toast

Brundle-Fly

Where did you get that from?

MojoJojo

I think there are a few posters who vocally don't like Matt Berry, but I think the threads on Toast have generally been quite positive apart from that.

ASFTSN

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 24, 2020, 12:13:29 AM

'Newer' shows sometimes get slated on here initial threads, which I think might put people off expressing any positives initially (it puts me off anyway). Then later on people that liked the show in the first place seem to speak up in other threads. See also: Darkplace, Stath Lets Flats, PhoneShop, Man Down etc.  I think this forum's a tough crowd for first impressions but also open to re-assessing stuff.

shiftwork2

Yes!  I'm quite interested in this.  Needs Ed though, and as already mentioned I'm not sure how that could be contrived.  Also like the pub with Tom Baker swishing around in the background and that obviously ain't happening.

paddy72

Quote from: jobotic on November 23, 2020, 01:55:48 PM
Yes. Although the fact that Mathews is still talking about going ahead with the Father Ted musical indicates he's happy to work with the most loathsome of people.

Wasn't Mrs Purchase Tracey Ann Oberman? - has she done something terrible?

magval

She's like a big fuckin Tory or something I dunno.

McChesney Duntz

Didn't she and Rachel Riley (ALLEGEDLY) harass a 16-year-old Labour supporter or something like that?

Thosworth

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 04, 2020, 04:15:20 PM
Didn't she and Rachel Riley (ALLEGEDLY) harass a 16-year-old Labour supporter or something like that?

They both went in hard on the whole "Jeremy Corbyn is anti-semitic" line. This played out on Twitter with as much calm, mature and nuanced debate as you would expect.

PlanktonSideburns

love this daft stupid show

will happily watch this berk flounce his way around americans

matt berry sometimes spoils things for me, but this feels like the perfect place for him

jobotic

Just watched an episode of Never The Twain on Forces TV. Codswallop but I really did enjoy Windsor Davis' performance. He's very similar to Matt Berry as Toast, in his mannerisms, fruity voice and, um blazer.

Scammin

Quote from: jobotic on December 18, 2020, 11:28:50 PM
Just watched an episode of Never The Twain on Forces TV. Codswallop but I really did enjoy Windsor Davis' performance. He's very similar to Matt Berry as Toast, in his mannerisms, fruity voice and, um blazer.

Of the two main actors in Never The Twain, I'd have said Toast is closer to Donald Sinden, I haven't seen it for a while though, so perhaps you are right.

Fuck it, post.

jobotic

I watched another after my fascinating post and you may have a point. I expect Berry has very deliberately combined the two characters from Never The Twain to create Stephen Toast. It's the only explanation.

I must admit the fun had worn thin by the end of the second episode. At least Oberman wasn't in it.

petril

Quote from: jobotic on December 19, 2020, 11:04:44 AM
I watched another after my fascinating post and you may have a point. I expect Berry has very deliberately combined the two characters from Never The Twain to create Stephen Toast. It's the only explanation.

and Dickie Davis, natch

Malcy

Been commissioned as a 6 part series for BBC1 and has the working title of Toast Of Tinseltown.

QuoteBroadcast and casting details have yet to be confirmed, but it will be filmed later this year with "a mix of new and returning cast members".

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6208/toast-of-tinseltown/

shiftwork2

I have a soft spot for Toast so this is great news.  I'll miss the faintly surreal recreation of Soho though.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

thr0b

Surely Will Arnett is going to be involved with this. He would fit very nicely into the Toast universe.

dr_christian_troy

I'd be surprised if Jon Hamm doesn't pop up, with Toast fawning over him like in the original series.

I also want the instrumental theme for Jon Hamm from the series: dubbadubbadubbadubbadubbaHAMM

Jockice

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 24, 2020, 12:13:29 AM

I'd never seen it until Sunday, when I saw a couple of episodes. I quite liked it.