Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,377
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld: What's the best introductory episode?

Started by Mister Six, November 23, 2020, 06:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Now that we have Hulu, I want to introduce Mrs Six to Seinfeld, but I'm not sure where to begin, since the first couple of seasons are a bit shite, but knowing the characters is key to appreciating the comedy.

For me, it was The Bizarro Jerry that made the series "click", but since Mrs Six isn't up on Superman either, that doesn't seem like a good way in for her.

Hulu recommends The Pony Remark (S2E2), The Library (S3E5) and The Red Dot (S3E12) in its Beginner's Guide, but I remember it still being a bit wonky in season three and not really taking off until season four.

What say you, CaB?

imitationleather

chveik

Quote from: Mister Six on November 23, 2020, 06:48:47 PM
I remember it still being a bit wonky in season three and not really taking off until season four.

you don't deserve Seinfeld

lankyguy95

The Contest. Great intro to the four of them and their chemistry, I think.

And "I'm out!" might be my favourite moment in any sitcom ever.

sutin

Quote from: chveik on November 23, 2020, 06:59:47 PM
you don't deserve Seinfeld

He's right though, let's be honest.

I would go for...
The Race
The Strike
The Bizarro Jerry
The Voice
or The Merv Griffin Show

Mister Six

Cheers!

(But keep the suggestions coming, folks!)

sutin

Quote from: lankyguy95 on November 23, 2020, 07:01:41 PM
The Contest. Great intro to the four of them and their chemistry, I think.

And "I'm out!" might be my favourite moment in any sitcom ever.

I've never liked that episode TBH.

colacentral

The best episodes of season 3 - the limo, the parking garage, the red dot. Also could go with the chinese restaurant ep from season 2.

I don't get the love for the pony remark, it's one of the worst for me. It's like a parody of seinfeld, the premise based on someone taking ridiculous over the top offense to a comment that no one would ever take offense to, even in sitcom land. And the comment / banter about ponies is forced too. Really shite one that.

daf

Only Season One seemed a bit creaky - and that was only 4 episodes long. Essentially, all those can be viewed as one long pilot to shake the bugs out.

Season 2 onwards is pretty much fine, I think.

colacentral

Quote from: sutin on November 23, 2020, 07:14:13 PM
I've never liked that episode TBH.

Yeah, I think that episode is overrated too, as well as the yada yada one. I get put off any time the episodes seem to be designed to be quoted by cunts in an office the day after they aired.

sevendaughters

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 23, 2020, 06:55:29 PM
The Race

My favourite. As perfect a 22 minutes as there is in television.

I think The Fix-Up (S3E16) is a great starter to the general vibe between the leads and the writing is really clicking, all 4 stories fusing perfectly. Also has Maggie "Janice from Friends" Wheeler (looking really hot) so has a nice waft of familiarity for some.

buttgammon

The Chinese Restaurant might be a good one. The lack of Kramer might be a little confusing but it's a good introduction to the style of the programme otherwise. The Subway is a good insight into all of the characters in their own right too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 23, 2020, 06:55:29 PM
The Race

Forgot to mention why...

It's because I think the way this scene plays out, following them coming up with the plan, is the best example of the dynamic between Jerry and George.

An tSaoi

Not sure about The Bizarro Jerry suggestions. That episode relies on your familiarity with the regular characters, in order to appreciate the contrast with the opposite set of characters. I'm sure a first-time viewer would still "get" it from the context, but only academically. Things like Feldman politely knocking the door and introducing himself before asking permission to enter won't be that funny to someone who hasn't seen Kramer bursting into Jerry's apartment a hundred times.

QDRPHNC

I wouldn't start with the Merv Griffin Show, you really need to know the characters.

I would say... what's it called... The Dinner Party? It's not meta at all and all the characters get good storylines.

Icehaven

As a very recent Seinfeld convert (well it's not that I didn't like it before, I just hadn't seen it), I'd say just watch it from the start as like you say, it sets up the characters and there's only 5 episodes in the first series anyway. Part of what makes later episodes better is that the humour relies on you knowing the characters and their personality traits etc. If you didn't already know how neurotic George is or why Jerry says "Hello, NEWMAN" the way he does for example, it wouldn't work as well. I'm not sure someone who'd never seen it would detect quite so pronounced a difference in quality between the earlier series and the later ones if you dropped them in partway through.

MojoJojo

Quote from: icehaven on November 23, 2020, 08:30:14 PM
As a very recent Seinfeld convert (well it's not that I didn't like it before, I just hadn't seen it), I'd say just watch it from the start as like you say, it sets up the characters and there's only 5 episodes in the first series anyway.

Ahhh, I was just going to post saying that Amazon weirdly have every season except the second one. But they have 18 episodes in their season 1, so I guess that's season 1 & 2 combined.

Icehaven

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 23, 2020, 08:41:21 PM
Ahhh, I was just going to post saying that Amazon weirdly have every season except the second one. But they have 18 episodes in their season 1, so I guess that's season 1 & 2 combined.

I thought after posting that that maybe All4 had some missing from early seasons or something so I checked but according to Wikipedia there's 5 in S1, 12 in S2 and 20odd in the rest of the seasons.

Mister Six

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 23, 2020, 08:10:43 PM
Not sure about The Bizarro Jerry suggestions. That episode relies on your familiarity with the regular characters, in order to appreciate the contrast with the opposite set of characters. I'm sure a first-time viewer would still "get" it from the context, but only academically. Things like Feldman politely knocking the door and introducing himself before asking permission to enter won't be that funny to someone who hasn't seen Kramer bursting into Jerry's apartment a hundred times.

It worked for me as a key to unlocking what the show is about. Yeah, not as many laughs as if I'd approached it chronologically, but that was the point where I got a handle on who Jerry and co are and how their dynamics work.

Dr Rock

cacciaguida

Get her to read the post 9/11 spec script an onion/snl writer did that one time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50l484pDaMobXI2Wk5CX0NMbkU/view

if anyone isn't up to speed you can have a read here

Mister Six

Quote from: cacciaguida on November 23, 2020, 10:34:50 PM
Get her to read the post 9/11 spec script an onion/snl writer did that one time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50l484pDaMobXI2Wk5CX0NMbkU/view

if anyone isn't up to speed you can have a read here

Haven't read that for years. It's astonishingly plausible.

Ferris

The Library. You get a good feel for the characters and the sense of humour, and I'm pretty sure it is early on.

Also has the best one-off character in the whole show.

Replies From View

The episode where Kramer bursts in through the door and the audience goes absolutely ballistic.

buttgammon

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 24, 2020, 02:33:59 AM
The Library. You get a good feel for the characters and the sense of humour, and I'm pretty sure it is early on.

Also has the best one-off character in the whole show.

Good shout, and it's worth watching for Bookman alone. "Rock was never my bag, but you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella."

Bernice

Yeah, The Library is fantastic.

I'd also suggest The Marine Biologist - the pay off with the golf ball at the end is the perfect example of Seinfled storylines dovetailing just right, and Elaine insisting that the original title of War and Peace was War, What is it good for? to an irate Russian author is gold, Jerry. Gold!

Ferris

Quote from: buttgammon on November 24, 2020, 09:10:39 AM
Good shout, and it's worth watching for Bookman alone. "Rock was never my bag, but you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella."

Yeah it's impossible to watch that performance and not want to see more of the show I reckon. That's just me though.

Mr Farenheit

Is she a fan of Oz? Most people are.

If so, Seinfeld in Oz is a great bite-sized intro to Jerry's character.

Ja'moke

Quote from: daf on November 23, 2020, 07:19:38 PM
Only Season One seemed a bit creaky - and that was only 4 episodes long. Essentially, all those can be viewed as one long pilot to shake the bugs out.

Season 2 onwards is pretty much fine, I think.

Agreed. Sure, it gets even better in later seasons. But season 2 and 3 are still good with some classic episodes mixed in.