Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can anyone recommend some survival horror films?

Started by dead-ced-dead, November 24, 2020, 12:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

The more obscure or maybe even foreign the better.

I've been watching a lot of survival horror films, either contained ones (the remake of The Evil Dead for example) or open wide/wilderness set ones (Wolf Creek, Dog Soldiers etc.), and now I'm looking for ones that aren't as mainstream or well known. I watched Southern Comfort the other day, which is like Dog Soldiers, just with Cajuns instead of werewolf, and it was a hell of a romp.

Thanks in advance.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's not all that obscure, but I have vague memories of 30 Days of Night being a pretty good film in this... vein. A town in the Arctic circle is attacked by vampires during the titular sunless winter month. Gory violence ensues.

Hand Solo

Maybe these are well known but.. Calibre, Eden Lake, What Keeps You Alive, Hush, The Survivalist, Rust Creek, Blue Ruin, I Spit On Your Grave, The Last House On The Left, Calvaire, The Strangers, Backcountry, Alone.

El Unicornio, mang

The Hunt (not to be confused with the 2012 Danish film) from this year was not bad, at least worth it for Betty Gilpin's performance.

Bazooka

The Silent Hill, Resident Evil and Alone In The Dark films leave the thread...

dead-ced-dead

Thanks for some really good recommendations. I'll be jumping on these.

Panbaams

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 24, 2020, 11:19:47 AM
The Hunt (not to be confused with the 2012 Danish film) from this year was not bad, at least worth it for Betty Gilpin's performance.

I've just seen this, and I'd second the recommendation.

Ready or Not is a similar kind of film and I would say it's also worth a look, albeit it's a bit more cartoony.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Panbaams on November 24, 2020, 02:17:39 PM
I've just seen this, and I'd second the recommendation.

Ready or Not is a similar kind of film and I would say it's also worth a look, albeit it's a bit more cartoony.

I love Ready or Not, and I think it's aided by its cartoony nature. I also love when horror filmmakers (who are mostly oldskool leftwing hippies at heart) get on their soapbox about the evils of society and Ready or Not has that in spades.

ASFTSN

The Battery (2012)

Ultra low key and 'mundane' zombie film made with a budget of $6000 that's actually really good.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 24, 2020, 03:23:02 PM
The Battery (2012)

Ultra low key and 'mundane' zombie film made with a budget of $6000 that's actually really good.

Ooh, that's just what I'm looking for. Something off the beaten track. Nice.

Hand Solo

Quote from: gib on November 24, 2020, 02:37:32 PM
1972 or 2009?

I watched the original first, but the Jesse Pinkman one is passable, same goes with I Spit On Your Grave.

Just saw a new one called Run has a good score on Rotten Tomatoes, but as usual the trailer gives away almost the entire plot.

RicoMNKN

Koko-di Koko-da
Saw it described as a cross between Funny Games and Groundhog Day.  Which is about right.

Think it just about falls under survival horror.

lipsink

Inside (2007) is an extremely tense and disturbing home invasion movie that I'd highly recommend. It came out around the same as 'Martyrs' which was a similarly fucked up nasty French horror film. I'd also recommend 'Switchblade Romance'.

studpuppet

Two 'S's: Severance and Salvage, both weirdly British (one with Lord Percy and Danny Dyer, the other filmed on the Brookside set), but Severance has a European feel, partly from location and also because it was a German co-production.

Hand Solo

Quote from: studpuppet on November 24, 2020, 11:06:40 PM
Two 'S's: Severance

Directed by Christopher Smith, as was Triangle, which is Sci-Fi but I suppose counts as a Survival Horror.. bloody good and very rewatchable it is too.

frajer

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 24, 2020, 03:13:10 PM
I love Ready or Not, and I think it's aided by its cartoony nature. I also love when horror filmmakers (who are mostly oldskool leftwing hippies at heart) get on their soapbox about the evils of society and Ready or Not has that in spades.

I really liked Ready or Not for the same reasons. Went in thinking it would be a fairly entertaining but po-faced horror thriller, but its streak of wicked humour was perfect and really elevated it.

The bit after the
Spoiler alert
final posho bloodbath, when the devil does actually appear and Samantha Weaving's reaction is just a weary eye-roll
[close]
was fucking great.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 24, 2020, 03:13:10 PM
I love Ready or Not

Then check out You're Next, which is it's spiritual predecessor.  Also Martyrs for some holyshit wtf, The Platform for something a bit different and Terrifier for just a really good baddie.

Black Ship

The Shallows?

Never heard of it before, but someone put a supercut of it on Facebook, so I skimmed through it.

studpuppet

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 25, 2020, 02:53:51 PM
Directed by Christopher Smith, as was Triangle, which is Sci-Fi but I suppose counts as a Survival Horror.

In total agreement with you there.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 25, 2020, 02:53:51 PM
Directed by Christopher Smith, as was Triangle, which is Sci-Fi but I suppose counts as a Survival Horror.. bloody good and very rewatchable it is too.

Christopher Smith has to be one of the most consistently decent British horror filmmakers (I know he made that one kids film about Father Christmas, but 90% of his output has been horror so I feel safe calling him that).

Triangle is a great film and (I think has already been said) stands up to repeated viewings.  Martyrs, though.. (the French original, not the US remake).. wow.. incredibly savage.  I loved it though.

SteveDave

Quote from: lipsink on November 24, 2020, 09:49:34 PM
Inside (2007) is an extremely tense and disturbing home invasion movie that I'd highly recommend. It came out around the same as 'Martyrs' which was a similarly fucked up nasty French horror film. I'd also recommend 'Switchblade Romance'.

A second for "Inside" It features one of the greatest head explodings in cinema history.

Hand Solo

Quote from: SteveDave on November 27, 2020, 12:28:11 PM
A second for "Inside" It features one of the greatest head explodings in cinema history.

Way to spoiler, Poindexter!

Jerzy Bondov

gib

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 24, 2020, 11:19:47 AM

I enjoyed this a lot, although the whole 'liberal elites' angle was a bit odd.

gib

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 24, 2020, 01:30:53 AMThe Last House On The Left

I watched the 1972 original like you told me and it was fucking horrible, and not in a good way.

Hand Solo

Quote from: gib on November 27, 2020, 04:17:10 PM
I watched the 1972 original like you told me and it was fucking horrible, and not in a good way.

Dated you mean? I Spit On Your Grave is a lot better in that regard.

Let me know how you get on with the Jesse Pinkman version though!

gib

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 27, 2020, 04:19:16 PM
Dated you mean? I Spit On Your Grave is a lot better in that regard.

Let me know how you get on with the Jesse Pinkman version though!

not so much dated just really exploitative in a completely unnecessarily way. And this is coming from me, a person who normally doesn't care about shit like that. I don't think i want to watch the remake.