Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big ass android tablet suggestions

Started by peanutbutter, November 24, 2020, 10:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

So yeah, looking for an Android tablet that's either relatively recent or able to run a recent version of android without rooting that has 32GB of internal storage, better yet 64GB. Ideally ~8 inches but the size is less important. Need it for an old relative who keeps having issues with their phones getting clogged up with bullshit (almost certainly gigantic apps they're installing) so they can separate the bullshit they do on a couch at home from their phone.

Been away from android for a while but my memory is that most phones had a tiny amount of on phone storage and most phones would clog that with bloatware you couldn't get rid of, then loads of apps would refuse to install to the SD so you're left constantly battling for space.

Ideally I'd be paying <£100 for this but it's more important that it does the job. So which manufacturers are good for avoiding that bloat shit? I assume there's some android tablets with 32gb internal storage in that mid level price range (used, at least)?

Dex Sawash

I've got a 32 gb Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) that isn't terrible. Bought it over random tablet from China due to being accustomed to the Samsung Android implementation. It isn't powerful enough to cast sports streams reliably to my tv. Has sd card slot and 3 years of OS updates. Needs a case to stop casual screen touches when watching video (not enough bezel).

Would have bought a Fire tablet but those still don't have GPS radios and I velcro my tablet over my car radio for navigation on trips.

Edit- can disable the bloat that was not uninstallable.

Sebastian Cobb

Can't really comment on the latest tablets (I have an nvidia shield that I got when my original nexus died, crap battery life and haven't used it much, wouldn't recommend really), but on the storage thing, Android 6 and up has something called 'adoptable storage' which will allow you to put an SD card in and have it extend the external storage, so no more 'install app to sd card' fuckery. A good feature that's hobbled by the fact manufacturers are taking sd cards away.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 25, 2020, 11:33:16 AM
Can't really comment on the latest tablets (I have an nvidia shield that I got when my original nexus died, crap battery life and haven't used it much, wouldn't recommend really), but on the storage thing, Android 6 and up has something called 'adoptable storage' which will allow you to put an SD card in and have it extend the external storage, so no more 'install app to sd card' fuckery. A good feature that's hobbled by the fact manufacturers are taking sd cards away.

Unfortunately, app developers till have to tick a box to allow their app to be installed on adopted storage. And some phone manufacturers block it because they still want to be able to charge through the roof for internal storage.

It's something that would have been great if google got it into android in the beginning, but unfortunately it took them a long time to sort out how SD cards should work. Tbf it's a more complicated issue than it might first seem.

Hand Solo

That was in the old days of Android. You can go into Developer Mode by tapping on the Android Build Version 8 times and there's an option to force apps onto SD card, and most will with very few exceptions, there's also SD Card Manager apps on the Play Store that will show and move where apps are being installed to. I only have 4 GB on my Chromecast Google TV which gets full very quickly so have done this and everything pretty much goes to SD card.

If you go the Chromebook laptop or tablet route lots of the standard apps operate off of cloud HTML services anyway.

If your relative is elderly they probably don't need the tablet for playing games, so any cheap bog standard one will do as long as it has a slot for extra storage just whack in a cheap 32 GB SD card. All together shouldn't cost you much more than £100 for something quite respectable. There's a load in Currys/PC world that fit the bill, though you can prob get more for less online but then there's delivery and difficulty with tech support or repairs.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth