Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:16:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Asssasins creed Valhalla

Started by wooders1978, November 25, 2020, 10:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

So, Ubisoft emailed me to tell me I've spent three whole days playing this out of the last fortnight!

Safe to say I'm enjoying it - it really is rather excellent and choc full of stuff to do, somehow doesn't feel as big as odyssey but that isn't necessarily a bad thing

Anyone else playing?

Bazooka

I still have Odyssey in my backlog so holding off for now, also killing the British?  Sounds a bit rich.

Hobo

I'm loving it. So much variety in weapon choices and styles, currently rocking a spear and giant axe using the dual two handed perk.
The village next to mine features, though it bears no resemblance to reality.

wooders1978

Yep trying to work out where Nando's is in Winchester

Agree about combat but want to mix styles up but find the lack of upgrade materials a bit frustrating, only been able to fully upgrade one weapon as yet

Hobo

There's a set of armour you can get through signing up for Amazon gaming, it's legendary so can unbalance the game early on. It is pretty though.

Mobius

Quote from: Bazooka on November 25, 2020, 12:47:53 PM
killing the British?  Sounds a bit rich.

You play a viking invader who raids towns and monasteries... but you get game over if you kill more than 2 civilians.

tourism

I still have Odyssey in my backlog so holding off for now, also killing the British?  Sounds a bit rich.

yeah richly deserved lol

Consignia

I knew a guy who refused to play AssCre Black Flag, because as ex-military he hated the fact you attacked the British Navy.

Thursday

Not buying this because I'm bored of Assassin's Creed games and Ubisoft is full of abusive arseholes, (not intended as any judgement on anyone who does buy the game) but the fact that they released two games in a month where you can kill English people did make it extremely tempting to give them a go.

Noodle Lizard

A corrupted save file lost me a good few hours of grinding in Odyssey and I never went back to it. Don't feel like I missed out on too much, it was a bit of a slog.

The setting of this one appeals to me, but it looks like they've leaned into the soft RPG elements even more, and the combat seems to be following the same trajectory since Origins. Not to mention, it's apparently buggy as fuck still. Definitely one for a miracle 80% off sale a year or two from now.

I think Syndicate was the last properly good game in the series.

falafel

One thing you can rely on Ubi games for, they will be down to 20 quid or less within 18 months to prop up the bottom line. I have every Assassin's Creed game so far apart from this one and have only played 2, 3, Black Flag and Odyssey, just because they have always been the price of a few pints at one stage or another.

bgmnts

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 28, 2020, 03:20:44 AM
I think Syndicate was the last properly good game in the series.

Black Flag for me.

Although to be fair hand on heart i'd probably say the only good ones from a stealth and combat point of view are the first two, the second in particular being great.

Lemming

Odyssey was great, I thought. It was Ubisoft's usual formula up to 11 - walk into a town, get a mundane quest from a "funny" questgiver, sneak into somewhere and kill everyone, retrieve the item, return to the questgiver. Travel to a new town and repeat the process about 300 times, then you've beaten the game.

Which sounds like total shit when it's written out like that, but in practice I could have played Odyssey for months on end. Ultimate "something fun to do while listening to a podcast/music" game. It gets almost hypnotic at times. Oh, I'm being attacked by the Spartans now. I thought I was with them? Alright, one of them's dropped the Deluxe Bastard Helmet. Better put that on. Oh, the Athenians are attacking me now.

falafel

I've switched the language in Odyssey and am using it to stealth learn French because the plot is both piss-easy to understand and just interesting enough to keep things going, and the language is pitched at a reading age of about five

.uh, can't comment on Valhalla?

wooders1978

They've done a little more to add to the richness of the world, add to that the story is engaging (very imo) - whilst lemming is somewhat bob on about the quests being a bit sneak and fetch, you don't have to do it that way, they've also added a lot more fun side activities, dare I say it feels like more of a Witcher game nowadays - combats been refined a bit as well to be more of a cross between odyssey and original assassins creed

beanheadmcginty

Does a character say "It's a skull" at any point in this game?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on November 28, 2020, 01:20:24 PM
Black Flag for me.

Think that might be my favourite, I like the Caribbean setting and it doesn't feel as overwhelmingly vast as Odyssey and Origins. Not keen on the setting for Valhalla from what I've seen.

Ham Bap

I'm a couple of hours into this on the PS5 and I'm loving it so far. The last 2 didn't gel with me, just couldn't be bothered but this is perfect so far. And I keep reading that it doesn't get proper good until about 10 hours in.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I understand you're allowed to pillage, but is there any rape?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bgmnts on November 28, 2020, 01:20:24 PM
Black Flag for me.

Black Flag is really cool, and the fact it came when it did is probably the only reason the franchise survived after AC3. That being said, I've never gotten more than about 20% into the actual story. Once you sort of get free reign of everything, it didn't feel like there was much need to slog through the missions. Didn't especially care for the cheeky banter-and-memes characters either, although it was preferable to the tedious solemnity of AC3.