Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Enfield - Lee and Lance

Started by The Bejesus, February 27, 2004, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bejesus

Can anyone remind me of the basic catchphrase / gag around the character Lance (Paul Whitehouse) from Harry Enfield's "cowboy" workmen characters - tis for the purposes of taking the piss so your help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I vaguely recall a sketch with Enfield pointing at a poorly fitted kitchen saying "who did that for ya?" repeatedly but I can't remember what Lance used to do.

They were pretty funny actually.  Having a small chucklette now at the thought of it.

No doubt I should prepare for the Enfield backlash...

Jemble Fred

QuoteNo doubt I should prepare for the Enfield backlash...

Is that what you want? Cos that's what'll happen...

What the bloody hell was all that about? Who's that girl, running around with yo-o-ou...

Darrell

Who did yer plastering? You wanna string 'em up...

...escalating to ridiculousness. Been ages since I've seen it, though.

The Bejesus

Ah, right.  Now I sees it.

Although your reference to the Lennoxster lost me.

Darrell

Quote from: "The Bejesus"]Although your reference to the Lennoxster lost me.

It's a quoting of the best sketch in the 1997 Chums series, where Lee is trying to teach Lance to sing. Utter magic, that.

Bilko

Quote from: "Darrell"

It's a quoting of the best sketch in the 1997 Chums series, where Lee is trying to teach Lance to sing. Utter magic, that.

Yeah, they were fishmongers.

The Bejesus

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "Darrell"

Yeah, they were fishmongers.

Good knowledge.  I knew I'd come to the right plaice....

Darrell

They were only fishmongers in the second Chums series. They were car mechanics, flower sellers and builders before that.

The Bejesus

Quote from: "Darrell"They were car mechanics, flower sellers and builders before that.

I only have puns involving fish.  This is giving me a haddock

See?

Mister Six

From what I remember, they weren't originally supposed to have a catchphrase, but everyone started associating the "that's what'll happen" sketches with them.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

They did the 'Is that what you want?' thing as a catchphrase in one Series 2 sketch, and it became very popular much to their surprise. So they really went to town on it come the Xmas special and mugged said phrase desperately. But the audience didn't respond as much as they'd hoped. Well done the Britsih public in 1992!

Cf. Papa Lazarou eight years later.

3-d lobster

Was their catch phrase 'S'mater'  or was that something else?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Which series did he do the "Goodfellas with English dubbing over the swearwords?"  Muddy funsters.

Neil

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Which series did he do the "Goodfellas with English dubbing over the swearwords?"  Muddy funsters.

Yes I want to know this too to see if it was, as I suspect, after Hale and PAce did the same sketch on their ITV show.  Bloody funny it was too, I've got a clip to finish editing.

Darrell

Series 2 of Television Programme, I think it was the first sketch of the series.

Actually, no, I think it opened episode 2.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "Darrell"Series 2 of Television Programme, I think it was the first sketch of the series.

Actually, no, I think it opened episode 2.

*checks video*

You were right the first time, it was the first sketch of the second series which was broadcast on, *checks relevant entry in the BBC Comedy Guide*, 2nd April 1992.

"Viewers might like to know this film has been specially ruined for television"

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Which series did he do the "Goodfellas with English dubbing over the swearwords?"  Muddy funsters.

Yes I want to know this too to see if it was, as I suspect, after Hale and PAce did the same sketch on their ITV show.  Bloody funny it was too, I've got a clip to finish editing.

God bless you Neil. I've been tempted for a while to edit together an hour long show of Hale and Pace that would be pure comedy gold. Two hours would be okay. Three hours and you'd remember why they both died.

Still, Hale and Pace had some superb sketches...

Neil

You're absolutely correct sir!  I encoded a few some months ago but am trying to remember the date, I've a feeling the show in question was somewhere between 89 and 91.  I might have to check the old archive board to see if I can find the Spitting Image thread as I'm sure I stated the correct date in there.  One of the clips I encoded was really done just because it has Doon in it, but the other two I remember very fondly, especially 47th Precinct which is the "edited for TV" one.