Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Iran's top nuclear scientist

Started by dr beat, November 27, 2020, 07:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Alberon on November 27, 2020, 07:59:17 PM
Probably the Israelies as it seems too subtle for Trump.

He would have just blatted the scientist with a drone strike.

No, no, you're thinking of Obama.  He was the drone-strike one, I'm sure of it.  Loved them.

Mister Six

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 27, 2020, 07:27:06 PM
The world is not binary. Trump is not President or did all that hooting a few weeks ago on here mean nothing?

Trump is president until January and remains the commander in chief, especially as he just replaced a bunch of people at the Pentagon. They wouldn't pull this without his rubber stamp or he'd tweet from the rooftops about the deep state in the Pentagon etc.

BlodwynPig

Inspector Norse

Buelligan

And I don't think he's even on the mend now.

pcsjwgm

The scientist, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, was mentioned by name by Netanyahu in his 2018 speech "exposing" Iran's non-existent nuclear weapons program.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/mohsen-fakhrizadeh-father-of-irans-nukes-said-to-be-long-time-mossad-target/

New York Times now reporting that three US officials claim that Israel was behind the attack:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/world/middleeast/iran-nuclear-scientist-killed.html

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 27, 2020, 07:13:45 PM
Good time to peek out from the Orwellian bubble we all live in and remind ourselves that Iran has never had an actual nuclear weapons program.
Really?  I suppose you have to clarify what you mean by 'actual', because it seems someone went through awful amount of trouble if they didn't have one.  Also any excuse to link to Matthew Bunn

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 28, 2020, 04:34:31 AM
Really?  I suppose you have to clarify what you mean by 'actual', because it seems someone went through awful amount of trouble if they didn't have one.  Also any excuse to link to Matthew Bunn

Research in enriching uranium is not the same (at all) as a nuclear weapons program. There is zero evidence or as far as I know even any claim that Iran has been pursuing a nuclear weapons program since at least 2003, and I believe the only evidence for research along those lines prior to 2003 is a single laptop in the sole custody of the United States intelligence services, who are obviously beyond unreliable. None of that information has ever been independently verified.

The consistent position of the Iranian government has been a demand for there to be a nuclear non-proliferation zone within the Middle East, subject to international inspections and a high degree of transparency. But of course that is a nonstarter because Israel has a massive nuclear weapons program.

As a result, anti-Iran hawks have been repeating the same baseless talking points for decades about how if the West lets up the pressure on Iran, they would be "mere months" away from creating a nuclear weapon. Ridiculous scaremongering fantasy divorced from any factual basis and sadly reminiscent of the justifications for the invasion of Iraq.

Sonny_Jim

I agree with what you say, it's just you said 'never had' when it's fairly clear they had at least something going on, but not since 2003

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 28, 2020, 06:00:34 AM
I agree with what you say, it's just you said 'never had' when it's fairly clear they had at least something going on, but not since 2003

I don't think it's fairly clear, in fact I think the presumption should be that they did not have anything going on considering the only "evidence" is dubious documents selectively presented by the United States/Israel that they will not allow outside groups to fully vet and that the IAEA is somewhat skeptical of. Some brief points: https://twitter.com/WideAsleepNima/status/991758503340576768

Agreed though that it is largely an academic question even assuming my initial statement was overbroad. Even the most credulous reading of the Israeli/U.S. claims would be very preliminary forays into the weapons sector that ended at least seventeen years ago.

Dex Sawash

Can't anyone make a nuclear bomb with a 3D printer and an InstantPot these days,?

steve98

Yes, but you still need the enriched uranium. You can't just print off enriched uranium (or maybe you can now, the things they can do these days)

Buelligan

Well, at least we have the good guys, America and Israel, keeping the world safe. 

You've got to enrich the uranium with vitamins and minerals if you want to make a nutritious bomb.

Buelligan

Or prayer breakfast.

And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...
And strike...

Of course the real fear is that they'll get access to a magic lamp.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DistressedArea on November 28, 2020, 09:09:01 AM
Of course the real fear is that they'll get access to a magic lamp.

Heard someone on Cuntryfile say that Britain now makes the best carpets and we should be PROUD of our carpets.

Craven was heard to mutter "don't fly though do they, you chump"

steve98

Quote from: DistressedArea on November 28, 2020, 08:55:31 AM
You've got to enrich the uranium with vitamins and minerals if you want to make a nutritious bomb.

If you're serious about making an atomic bomb the critical part is gettin' hold of the fissile material - very difficult. In fact more or less impossible. But, what you can do (and trust me this isn't common knowledge) is scrape the luminescent paint (containing radioactive radium) off the faces of pre-1960s watches - Yeah? Radium? You'll need a lot of watches* (and they have to be pre-60s, cos that's when they stopped using radium in the paint).

Let me know when you've done that and i'll tell you how to extract and enrich the fissile radium from the paint scrapings.

*You can also utilize the instrument dials from WW2 planes.

Buelligan

I have a lot of art deco alarm clocks - would those do?

steve98

Yes, as long as you have a critical mass of them and they're made of radium (Everything utilized (or contained) radium in those days, as I'm sure you know*)

Buelligan

Great stuff, I'll get on it immediately.

evilcommiedictator

Can't wait for Biden not to reverse the CIA no longer having to notify the President on operations on foreign soil, so when the CIA starts a war with Iran by assisting Mossad he can blame them

Uncle TechTip

"Advanced electronic instruments guided by satellite were used in the assassination"

Simply that the gunman used Google maps to reach the scene?