Author Topic: Is there such a thing as auto-scrolling software?  (Read 2257 times)

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
Is there such a thing as auto-scrolling software?
« on: November 28, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »
I've got a PDF of a guitar tab book and when I'm playing along to the songs it's a pain having to stop playing every 10 seconds in order to scroll down the page a bit. Is there some kind of scrolling software I could use to scroll down automatically, like set it to scroll down a page every 10 seconds, or whatever??

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: Is there such a thing as auto-scrolling software?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 03:49:14 PM »
If there isn't, autohotkey is a scripting/macro program that'll allow you to do that by looping a down (or page down) keypress.

the

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
I know you can set up a PDF to act similarly to a Powerpoint presentation, including making it advance onto the next page after a timed interval.

In Adobe [Acrobat] Reader:  https://www.itsupportguides.com/knowledge-base/tech-tips-tricks/adobe-reader-how-to-loop-pdf-as-a-presentation/

That would turn the page rather than scrolling down though, so the layout of your document will dictate whether you might need to edit/re-format the document to get this function to work for your purpose.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »
Although it looks like adobe reader has the feature inbuilt.

To enable auto-scroll in Adobe Reader, open your PDF file with Adobe Reader and press CTRL + SHIFT + H to initiate auto-scroll. Next, you can adjust the scroll speed using the Up or Down arrow keys. Then, press CTRL + SHIFT + H to stop auto scroll.22 Jul 2020

Although adobe reader is much more bloated than just reading a pdf in a browser.

If you use a browser to read pdf's this bookmarklet will do it: http://tim.theenchanter.com/2008/08/autoscroll-in-safari-firefox.html

No need to faff around with autohotkey at all.

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »
Although it looks like adobe reader has the feature inbuilt.

Although adobe reader is much more bloated than just reading a pdf in a browser.

If you use a browser to read pdf's this bookmarklet will do it: http://tim.theenchanter.com/2008/08/autoscroll-in-safari-firefox.html

No need to faff around with autohotkey at all.

I'm using a browser on my desktop to read it so that's perfect, ta muchly.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
Although I've since played with it and I'm not sure it worked on pdf's (in firefox), it did work with web pages though.

This is designed for sheet music and works with chrome and pdfs.
http://www.tabscroller.com/

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
You can view PDFs in Chrome and the spacebar makes pages scrolls down so I'd just rock out with my cock out.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
Clever dick.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soup├žon of pizzazz."
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 03:08:09 AM »
Can you record your screen of you scrolling the doc at the correct speed and watch the video?

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 04:56:57 AM »
Now theres a cleverness I would never had thought of, I could even use the song in the video and have everything in one place.

touchingcloth

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
You could find the tabs on Songster, or transcribe them yourself and upload them there.

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
Oh God no, that's far more fucking about than I'm capable of. The tabs aren't up there, I have one of those official album tab books. Actually, the PDF came with some guitar pro files too, maybe I could use those instead. Ideal scenario is to use those guitar pro files to makes some custom DLC for Rocksmith but I have no clue how to do that.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
I remember seeing on a children's tv version of Tomorrows World a space-age guitar that had led's in the fret that'd light up and tell you where to put your fingers in time to the music. Weird how they never really took off.

BeardFaceMan

• mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »
Yeah I used to have a keyboard like that as a kid, you had little memory cards that you'd put in with different songs on them and the LEDs would show you what to play. Certainly easier than trying to read music.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
space bar and

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 02:20:54 PM »
Actually I've got a helpful suggestion. There's a tool called iMacros, it's a browser extension that lets you put some little scripts on to websites so you can do things like click a button, scroll down to the next similar button, click that one, etc, ad infinitum.

So download that, and then visit this page here and see if you can figure it out from there. I'd say you need to be a moderate-level IT whizz to crack it. I've used iMacros for a few things but never for auto-scrolling, so I dunno if that link even has good advice on it but if you Google 'iMacros auto-scroll' there's a bunch of other results too. Sorry that my url to that imacros forum is not https and you might get some warning on your browser when you click on it.

And then natch open your tablature PDF in the same browser that the iMacros extension is on.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soup├žon of pizzazz."
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »
If you do the screen recording, Quicktime has it as a basic function under File > New Screen Recording.

touchingcloth

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
Keyboard on the floor and arrow down with your toe.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »

As I said I just use my cock.

Retinend

• Golden Member
  • gettit done gettit on gettit done when you do it
    • I AM A CUCK (documentary)
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »

is there such a thing as this? just a big foot-operable directional pad? I would buy it. I would also buy a keyboard that simply has two buttons: one combining "ctrl+c" into one button, and the other combining "ctrl+v" into one button that would be actually labelled "copy" and "paste" respectively. It would make my job - and I would dare say many people's office jobs - so much more satisfying.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 06:19:00 PM »
Yes, they're usually sold as accessibility devices I think.

https://www.3drudder.com/ is a slightly more intricate one.

Copy and paste buttons are a thing on some multimedia keyboards, but they're generally harder to reach, and smaller than ctrl+c.

Tags: