Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

5A 5A 5APE?

Started by falafel, November 29, 2020, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our theme (only vote if you're participating, check thread for details)?

Soundtrack a feature-length film (each participant gets a segment)
1 (4.3%)
Soundtrack a series / set of short films or cartoons (one per participant)
0 (0%)
Radio times listings
7 (30.4%)
Voynich Manuscript
1 (4.3%)
Garden of Earthly Delights
9 (39.1%)
COVID HAUNTOLOGY
5 (21.7%)
Derke: Music Inspired by TV's 'Derek'
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

falafel

Contributing to the HA HA TAPE series constitutes my entire creative output for the last decade. It's been so long since the last one I fear if there is any further delay I may need to ritually sacrifice some children in order to get my mojo back.

Anyone interested? In the album, the album, not the ritual sacrifice. Conceits and concepts welcome although at first I'm just wondering if we will get critical mass.

Here's the last one, for the uninitiated and hard of remembering. Nosleep, our resident production and mastering grandee and all round cunt lovely fella did an outstanding job of shaping these into coherent finished products in the final mix.

The Mollusk

I've been writing more music during the pandemic than I have in many, many years, so I'd definitely be up for it.

BlodwynPig

I will do a vaporwave remix of the album. HA HA VAPE.

spaghetamine

PlanktonSideburns

ooh didnt know about this

Johnny Textface

I'm in! We should probably have a time limit this time.. If you don't deliver you miss your slot? Otherwise it can go on for literally years.

NoSleep

NoSleep

Quote from: Johnny Textface on November 29, 2020, 01:37:27 PM
We should probably have a time limit this time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (tape)

NoSleep

Might be worth starting another thread with a less ambiguous title to attract others in that might not understand this is an invitation to make some collective noise with and for CaB.

DONE: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83842.0.html

We can probably stay in this thread and I'll bump the other occasionally to attract the uninitiated.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2020, 01:43:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (tape)

How about just having a loose theme, whatever that may be, and everyone just gets started on theirs ASAP without having to wait for anyone else. There are let's say 13 slots on the album and if you deliver one of the first 13 you're in. Any stragglers could go onto a separate EP perhaps.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

NoSleep

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on November 29, 2020, 03:08:23 PM
How about just having a loose theme, whatever that may be, and everyone just gets started on theirs ASAP without having to wait for anyone else. There are let's say 13 slots on the album and if you deliver one of the first 13 you're in. Any stragglers could go onto a separate EP perhaps.

I've thought a race could be an option, but it depends how many people work fast. It could end up that the "winners" would fit on an EP even after a couple of years have gone by.

Johnny Textface

Race is fun. Fast and loose.

Covid theme somehow?

falafel

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2020, 02:15:11 PM
Might be worth starting another thread with a less ambiguous title to attract others in that might not understand this is an invitation to make some collective noise with and for CaB.

DONE: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83842.0.html

We can probably stay in this thread and I'll bump the other occasionally to attract the uninitiated.

Ah yes, very sensible. I've been malingering here for so long I assumed everyone knew the reference.

I like the idea of a race, but what about incentives? Like so:

Positive: when you submit you get a privilege - eg you can impose a creative constraint of your choice on one of the other participants (subject to agreement), or on the other hand there could be a series of rewards like first in gets to decide what the artwork should be, second in gets a slightly lesser reward and so on

Negative: Every additional month delay adds another constraint

Problem with the negative one is people who take a long time could take even longer...

falafel

Or we could just say we've got two months from whichever date, choose a theme and go.

NoSleep

Quote from: falafel on November 30, 2020, 09:52:45 AM
Or we could just say we've got two months from whichever date, choose a theme and go.

Every device we've used to speed up the process has failed before now, so we could give this a go, but...

Phil_A

Ah, go on then. Guess I'm in for this one.

the

Quote from: NoSleep on November 30, 2020, 04:27:28 PM
Quote from: falafel on November 30, 2020, 09:52:45 AMOr we could just say we've got two months from whichever date, choose a theme and go.

Every device we've used to speed up the process has failed before now, so we could give this a go, but...

Yeah, just 'try to get your one song together within a matter of months rather than years' is a pretty reasonable target. If you don't have any convincing semblance of a track together after six months, then it's pretty obvious that you just haven't been working on it.

Johnny Textface

Tell me when to start 😆

NoSleep

Once we have a theme (to unify the tracks) we can start. Any ideas?

Viero_Berlotti

the

Quote from: NoSleep on November 30, 2020, 06:32:18 PMOnce we have a theme (to unify the tracks) we can start. Any ideas?

Just pissing in the wind:

We could do the film thing again, but being an arsehole who doesn't really like films we could use something more pulpy and trivial like, er, The King Of Kong.

Or take a page of listings like this one I just randomly found, we each pick an item off it to base a song on (it could be completely abstract/tangential, just based on a word or concept in the paragraph).

Covered in piss now.

falafel

I would gladly go with that second idea.

falafel

13 names so far:

falafel
The Mollusk
BlodwynPig (or not???)
Non Stop Dancer
the
spaghetamine
PlanktonSideburns
Johnny Textface
NoSleep
Rich Uncle Skeleton
drummersaredeaf
Phil_A
Viero_Berlotti

PlanktonSideburns

im in! will get ons when a theme emerges

falafel

Another potential theme - pick a page from the Voynich Manuscript and do your worst with it. We could submit tracks alongside the page numbers...

Full scanned version of the book here:
https://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3519597