Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

5A 5A 5APE?

Started by falafel, November 29, 2020, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our theme (only vote if you're participating, check thread for details)?

Soundtrack a feature-length film (each participant gets a segment)
1 (4.3%)
Soundtrack a series / set of short films or cartoons (one per participant)
0 (0%)
Radio times listings
7 (30.4%)
Voynich Manuscript
1 (4.3%)
Garden of Earthly Delights
9 (39.1%)
COVID HAUNTOLOGY
5 (21.7%)
Derke: Music Inspired by TV's 'Derek'
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Ray Travez

mine is done [nb]not finished, I'm just sick of it[/nb]. What do I need to send, a finished MP3?

how do you send a MP3?

NoSleep

I need a 24-bit wav or aiff file from you, please. Should be the default of whatever DAW you're using.

You can send via WeTransfer, Dropbox (if you have it),Google or Mega. There's lots of options but maybe WeTransfer is the most straightforward if you haven't done this before. Email it to yourself and PM me the WeTransfer link you receive.

Ray Travez

thanks, I'll get working on it. Not used any of those to send files before.

NoSleep

So far:

1. Viero_Berlotti (5:28)

2. greencalx (3.01)

3.QtheRaider (4.25)

NoSleep

Almost forgot:

Quote from: NoSleep on March 09, 2021, 09:38:40 AM
So far:

2. greencalx (3.01)

3. RenegadeScrew (4.03)

Quote4. QtheRaider (4.25)

gabrielconroy

I'm guessing I'm too late to get involved in this, right?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I'm "involved" in this but haven't managed a note of music or even chosen my image so I'd be surprised if you can't join, even if it's just to replace me with someone who has their shit together if it's a question of numbers??

NoSleep

Quote from: gabrielconroy on March 23, 2021, 02:21:11 PM
I'm guessing I'm too late to get involved in this, right?

You are welcome to join in. Pick a portion (or detail) of Bosch's Garden Of Earthly Delights to act as your inspiration (some ready-cut unclaimed portions earlier in the thread, but you can edit one of your own if you choose). Then start building your track. The first people to finish will end up on HHT5 Volume 1 and the rest will eventually appear on HHT5 Volume 2 both of which will probably be roughly CD length (or not).

purlieu

Ok I'm in and will start work on this. My girlfriend recently bought a huge fabric print of The Garden of Earthly Delights which now adorns our bedroom wall, which should no doubt help with inspiration.

falafel

I have finally been working on mine. I think it might actually be evil. Should be done tomorrow.

falafel

False alarm, sounds great on my monitors and dogshit on everything else.

NoSleep

Probably less to do with your monitors than the room they are situated, where they positioned and where you're sitting in it. Always worth having a decent set of headphones handy to eliminate the room.

falafel

When I say monitors I don't really mean monitors, I mean my K702s which are the closest thing I've got...

I've said this before, this compilation is literally the only thing that gets me back into this for the past nine or ten years and every time I get back the mixing part gets harder and harder... It used to be second nature and I think I used to account for it as a matter of course in the production process. Now I get to the end and I listen back and it's almost like it was designed to sound different on earbuds, speakers, soundbars, you name it. All shit in a different way! It's gonna take time, a whole lot of precious time.

gabrielconroy

I'm doing this one at the moment:

It's about 80% done I'd say, so hopefully will finish it soon. Possibly even tonight!

NoSleep

Quote from: falafel on May 03, 2021, 03:58:09 PM
When I say monitors I don't really mean monitors, I mean my K702s which are the closest thing I've got...

I've said this before, this compilation is literally the only thing that gets me back into this for the past nine or ten years and every time I get back the mixing part gets harder and harder... It used to be second nature and I think I used to account for it as a matter of course in the production process. Now I get to the end and I listen back and it's almost like it was designed to sound different on earbuds, speakers, soundbars, you name it. All shit in a different way! It's gonna take time, a whole lot of precious time.

Ah, so your monitors are headphones (fairly decent ones). What's your audio interface? I only ask because I recently came across a client who wasn't using one, which explained a lot about the difficulties we'd been having getting things to sound right; I'd always assumed that everyone knew you must use an audio interface, not the line in/headphone out of your computer. I'm guessing that isn't the issue here.

If you're mostly working on headphones I recommend that you go over to Airwindows and grab and install their plugin Monitoring.

http://www.airwindows.com/monitoring-redux/

Put it on your main buss right at the end of the chain. It has a pulldown menu that gives you a variety of options which you can explore the four "Cans" are what will interest you for your mixing difficulties:

Out24: superb 24-bit dithering; leave it in place on this when you do your final mix for me, please.
Out16: superb 16-bit dithering
Peaks: Hard to explain; this does something horrible to the music on purpose, so that you can discern issues about the overall balance of the mix. It's particularly good for checking if you've gone too far with the bass end. I have to stress that this is for checking only, as are all the other options aside from Out24 and Out16.
Slew: check the top end only
Subs: check the bottom end only
Mono: see what the mix sounds like in mono
Side: hear only the stuff in the mix that only comes exclusively from the left or right, i.e., minus the centre of the mix.
Vinyl: hear what it would sound like mastered for and played back on vinyl (removes some frequencies, etc)
Aurat: emulates the sound of a pair of Auratone Cubes (Auratones used to be used in studios to hear what music would sound like on small radios or television speakers).
MonoRat: this emulates a single Auratone coming from the right speaker. Usually there would only be a single Auratone in the studio to more accurately emulate those small radios and tv speakers. It is nonetheless the full mix (L+R) in mono, not just the right hand channel.
MonoLat: Same from the L.
Phone: hear what your mix sounds like coming from a smartphone.
Cans A, B, C, D: All of these are designed to give you a sound in your headphones that is more like listening through speakers in a room. A is the lightest, through to D, the heaviest. I'd recommend to try B.
Voice Trick: Mono mix is sent to both speakers and they are put out of phase with one another by 180°. If you put a microphone equidistant from both speakers the music will cancel out, meaning a vocalist can theoretically sing without wearing headphones and the subsequent recording will not have spill from the mic.

falafel

Can't thank you enough. Anything that helps me get past my faulty ears and do a bit of objective listening will be a godsend.

Interface is pretty cheap and old but has served me well - Tascam US122 mkII.  I used to have a really nice one which gave a lovely tone to the mic input (I believe valves were involved) but this is OK. It's my ears. Honestly, even when I was OK at it I would sometimes kind of amplify things I couldn't fix to turn the bug into a feature (like the weird sub bass on my very first ha ha track).

Edit: it was a preamp, it turns out, not my interface - ART Tube MP. Lovely for the price.

NoSleep

I have a Tascam US122L (also a MKII) and an ART Tube MP knocking around here. Those ART preamps are useful as you can plug anything into them and they're good to go; they seem to adapt to anything. You can still find them on ebay. ART still make an upgraded version of them and have upgraded the price, too.

spaghetamine

hey all, haven't been very active on the forum lately for various reasons but i haven't forgotten about this, track is still very much in the works - peace and love - Yung Spagbol (esq.)

spaghetamine

. drunken double post pls delete

NoSleep

I think I've had some more finished tracks sent to me and haven't updated the progress on here. Watch this space.

NoSleep

Update:

2. greencalx (3.01)

3. RenegadeScrew (4.03)

4.QtheRaider (4.25)

5. Ray Travez (5.05)

6. gabrielconroy (4.16)

EDIT: Also:

viii PlanktonSideburns (6.17) but still waiting for finalised version.

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on May 04, 2021, 08:30:26 AM
Cans A, B, C, D: All of these are designed to give you a sound in your headphones that is more like listening through speakers in a room. A is the lightest, through to D, the heaviest. I'd recommend to try B.

I should make it clear that you should only use this effect while you are listening on headphones as you work on your track. Once you're done with working on headphones turn that shit off. Definitely do not leave it on for the final mix, it's only a working tool, like wearing protective goggles while you're welding. Think of it as ear goggles.

NoSleep

Update:

2. greencalx (3.01)

3. RenegadeScrew (4.03)

4. QtheRaider (4.25)

5. Ray Travez (5.05)

6. gabrielconroy (4.16)

7. purlieu (5.58)

Also:

viii PlanktonSideburns (6.17) but still waiting for finalised version.

ix Mine's nearing completion, too (5.20)

(that's 43m48s so far)

Petey Pate

I've not yet finished my track but I am giving this thread a bump so that others involved are reminded of it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

NoSleep

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 18, 2021, 04:13:17 PM
How dare you

Have you made your selection from the painting yet?

hummingofevil

Hi. Sorry not been on here for ages but got mad busy with life stuff (including impdending new born) and total forgot about this. Good luck with album and I look forward to listening.

falafel

Moved, got a new job, music gear is literally in a different country, but as long as and October submission is allowed I am still in. I might submit a backup option for now...

NoSleep

The worse that can happen is you won't make Part 1 of the album (all latecomers will be on Part 2).