Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

5A 5A 5APE?

Started by falafel, November 29, 2020, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our theme (only vote if you're participating, check thread for details)?

Soundtrack a feature-length film (each participant gets a segment)
1 (4.3%)
Soundtrack a series / set of short films or cartoons (one per participant)
0 (0%)
Radio times listings
7 (30.4%)
Voynich Manuscript
1 (4.3%)
Garden of Earthly Delights
9 (39.1%)
COVID HAUNTOLOGY
5 (21.7%)
Derke: Music Inspired by TV's 'Derek'
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Johnny Textface

Looks like a double album 😆

falafel

I think if we split into two then there's a better chance one will be finished sooner. Is this the most people we've had involved so far?

NoSleep

Let's just call it one project and have two volumes, with volume one being the people who finish first. We can have a natural cut off point whereby the first album does not to go over a CD length, perhaps. There's no real reason that we can't juggle stuff around later, if it makes sense; it's a doddle to do that on bandcamp.

falafel

greencalx

I've made a start. Written two notes so far.

NoSleep

Quote from: greencalx on December 06, 2020, 05:58:55 PM
I've made a start. Written two notes so far.

Perhaps you'll want to change them after we've decided on the theme.

greencalx

Quote from: NoSleep on December 06, 2020, 06:38:44 PM
Perhaps you'll want to change them after we've decided on the theme.

If truth be told, the pitch, duration, timbre and timing of both are still a work in progress, so I don't think there will be much wasted effort.

falafel

Poll locked. If the results are to be believed, it's The Garden of Earthly Delights.

There's an ultra hi-res version here but I don't think it's downloadable. Still great for a look at the details.
Edit: didn't realise the Wiki image Nosleep mentioned is 34mp so pretty massive anyway.

There's still a chance that it was swung by an illicit vote but does anyone object strongly enough to the concept to refuse to work towards it?

A very close second place to the telly listings.

The Mollusk

I didn't vote because I'm an indecisive fucker who's happy to go with whatever everyone else thinks is good. I suffer creatively with too many options and I work much better with imposed limitations, and my mental health issues have generally dictated in recent months that I will run a mile from having to make any decisions if I can help it. Just tell me what to do!

PlanktonSideburns

so do we randomy pick an area to work on is it?

falafel

Bosch it is.

We have 20 participants, Nosleep what were you thinking in terms of cutting up the image?

I think we want to make sure everyone is doing a different bit so a 'menu' would be good

PlanktonSideburns

im sure theres a neat way to chop an image up into segments on GIMP, could look that up, and make an online folder with segments as seerate images on if thats useful?

NoSleep

Quote from: falafel on December 07, 2020, 08:48:58 AM
Bosch it is.

We have 20 participants, Nosleep what were you thinking in terms of cutting up the image?

I think we want to make sure everyone is doing a different bit so a 'menu' would be good

jonnycuba has claimed a particular scene from the GOED already, so, following from that, and as there's so many details within the piece, I think everyone should be able to pick a piece for themselves. But I've done a bunch of random selections for starters (mostly from the central panel). There's also @boschbot on twitter https://twitter.com/boschbot

I think it's fair do's if people pick overlapping areas, as one person's single choice might contain within it details that others have individually chosen. Go in close and there's a myriad of details, pull back out and there's another myriad of broader choices.

If anyone is overwhelmed by the choice (hi there, The Mollusk) then I can set up the usual hat to pull names from here and assign you a section.

Quote from: falafel on December 07, 2020, 06:40:43 AMThere's an ultra hi-res version here but I don't think it's downloadable. Still great for a look at the details.
Edit: didn't realise the Wiki image Nosleep mentioned is 34mp so pretty massive anyway.

That's quite good in a way, as it explains some of the details and references parts together from across the whole piece. Some might prefer to interpret the symbology for themselves from scratch, so here a massive 650MB version of the painting that I found some years ago:

EDIT: this link should work: https://mega.nz/file/hKZEwRTB#7XFmQjxSzlgzniWXga-sMZMfwc_uvde6YmOZimLkmo8

The Mollusk

I was actually gonna suggest doing it more strictly by section, yeah. The image can easily be divided into 20 sections (4 horizontally by 5 vertically) as I've demonstrated here:

Wouldn't it be more fun this way, if people were pushed to concentrate on one section each, drawn at random from a hat? Again, in going with my previous thoughts, I think the imposed limitations would be a lot more beneficial to the overall piece, as opposed to people being able to pick their favourite parts of the image and the risk of there being a bunch of crossover. I mean, we're all going to choose the egg otherwise, right?

In short, there's so much happening in the image that each section divided as above would give everyone something very detailed to work with.

NoSleep

You can't frame some of the details in the piece across any broad division, so that's why I thought picking out random details would be more interesting. The whole thing is a collection of scenes that can be taken alone (like jonnycuba's choice).

Also, we may pick up some more people, so dividing up mathematically will leave us with nothing more.

And it will make a change to let people dive in and pick something they like rather than be assigned it randomly; there's so much to choose from. I think we should let the order of the album sort itself out after the tracks are done, too (we've always determined the order beforehand in the past).

falafel

How about people just post whichever bit they have chosen on here as soon as they have decided, checking to make sure loads other people haven't claimed the same bit first, and for anyone who would rather be given the creative constraint maybe Nosleep could assign a section to you at random?

So we can just use our common sense and not all do the egg, though a bit of overlap is fine if you have a good reason

The Mollusk

Fair enough yeah, I can see it from both sides and am happy to go with what the two of you have suggested!

Anyway I pick egg

NoSleep

Here's 20 random scenes. I'll post another 20 after breakfast. Click to enlarge.

NoSleep

NoSleep

You don't have to choose from these. They're just there as an easy option.

The Mollusk

Quote from: NoSleep on December 07, 2020, 10:47:44 AM

You reckon it's cheating if someone uses the shite sheet music on the bloke's arse? I'm pretty sure it's been done a few times before.

NoSleep

It's probably public domain, so go ahead. And you're right that somebody's done it before.

Phil_A

Could I make an early claim on the giant flying fish/lizard man combo?

NoSleep

This is the 650MB version of the painting that I unsuccessfully linked to upthread:

The Garden of Earthly Delights

NoSleep

Quote from: Phil_A on December 07, 2020, 12:11:48 PM
Could I make an early claim on the giant flying fish/lizard man combo?

That is a marvellous little detail.

hummingofevil

https://twitter.com/boschbot/status/1263345530593333248?s=21

There is Bosch bot twitter account that randomly posts bits if it out every few hours. Could be handy.

NoSleep

greencalx

Phil A grabbed the one that jumped out at me. No matter. I'll take this one.

Quote from: NoSleep on December 07, 2020, 10:47:44 AM

falafel

Petey Pate