Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Just about as bad as you can get

Started by Johnny Yesno, November 30, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Helen Pidd, Guardian North of England editor, on the issue:
https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/1333667223269994506

Apologies for lack of tweet content reproduction, don't have time and on unhelpful device.

Buelligan

Obviously we all care passionately, however, about antisemitism.  Especially in the Red Wall.  Goes without saying.  Some solidarities are more equal than others.

I was amazed to learn the Guardian was still paying this moronic middle class twat but then she goes and says something like this and it all makes sense.

king_tubby

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 30, 2020, 08:32:29 PM
Worse in this context, because it signals that the opposition don't know what to do about a vitally important area of national interest and a health emergency. This shouldn't be difficult for anyone to work out, or for sympathizers like thugler, Blinder Data, Trenter Percenter or GOB to figure out. Labour really don't know what to do.

Listen Shoulders you are not more leftwing than me, you have not done more to get Corbyn elected than me, you have not walked out of more jobs and made yourself homeless on the principle of not accepting New Labour policies around disabled people than me and you are neither unique or particularly insightful in your critique as to what you see as the barriers to the leftwings progress.

As always happy to discuss why that might be but you really need to stop using the language of facists to describe fellow leftwingers that just might have a different view on things to you.

As pointed out by WHB abstaining is very common and is to signal to the executive that amendments need to be made.  It also is to do with party unity on what concessions can be won and how this all plays out on multiple fronts as the other readings progress.  I spent literally days worth of hours defending Corbyn to remain lefties over this very thing, and the fact these remainers could only muster the simplist of assessments of how this all works did a lot of damage to Labour in the 2019 election. 

Corbyn whipped to abstain loads of times when leader so are we putting him in the pile of optic lefty traitors also now?

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on December 01, 2020, 11:21:21 AM
I was amazed to learn the Guardian was still paying this moronic middle class twat but then she goes and says something like this and it all makes sense.
Quote from: king_tubby on December 01, 2020, 11:21:57 AM
Helen Piss

Well, quite.

Buelligan

Must admit, I am enjoying reading that thread.  It is weak, I know, but seeing so many people stand up and say what a nasty imbecilic arse she is, is heartening.

chveik

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 30, 2020, 08:54:16 PM
I don't actually enjoy it when MPs use their position to advance crackpot ideas that their constituents couldn't give the faintest shit about, and find it annoying when MPs decide to object on behalf of an entire constituency on a matter of personal conscience (personal conscience, who the fuck do you think you are you trumped up piece of shit? you're a fucking servant so fucking serve).

oh dear he's finally lost it

Zetetic

For context, all Plaid MPs have signed Clive Lewis's letter regarding the deportations planned for tomorrow, and one Welsh Labour MP, Beth Winter (Cynon Valley), out of 22 has.

TrenterPercenter

I think I mentioned that Starmer being viewed as a Single Issue Anti-racist has a lot going for it on multiple fronts.

Zetetic

Certainly if you're a Plaid candidate (looking to pickup regional votes in the cities?).

TrenterPercenter

Normally we can say weaponising racism is a bad thing but this scenario its actually functional to getting parity and awareness for other types of racism (this does not need to be at the exclusion of any particular form either).  Everyone wins. Except Starmer.

king_tubby

Oh Kieth, you've done it again!

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1333830751763230721

QuoteThe Guardian found Labour's returning "big money" donor is making Islamophobic comments. I see he also had this very odd claim about South Africa

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/01/keir-starmer-urged-to-return-donations-from-islamophobic-property-developer

bgmnts

There's no room for anti-semitism in the form of insulting Islamaphobes within the Labour party and it's donors.

Starmer must condemn abstain.

bgmnts

If Corbyn stabbed Abrahams in the neck with a HB pencil and gave him lead poisoning as he died, then this wouldn't have happened.

Once again, Corbyn's soft touch dooms us all.

Fambo Number Mive

jobotic

Quote from: king_tubby on December 01, 2020, 06:02:42 PM
Oh Kieth, you've done it again!

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1333830751763230721

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/01/keir-starmer-urged-to-return-donations-from-islamophobic-property-developer

So what will he do about it?

Is the answer nothing because this is who he wants paying his salary and dictating policy rather than scum like trade unions members?

Once more, fuck him and his party.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on December 01, 2020, 11:31:04 AM

Corbyn whipped to abstain loads of times when leader so are we putting him in the pile of optic lefty traitors also now?

Depends what he was abstaining on and what his motives were.

Buelligan

And, when Corbyn had control of the whip, the government he opposed did not have a meaningful majority, let alone a majority of 80 seats.  Abstaining had some effect.

Starmer whipping to vote against the current government can't realistically expect to win anything but a moral victory.  And abstaining is not going to make the tories make concessions, it simply means that he, as the leader of the opposition, washes his hands of any responsibility. 

Sometimes, on big things, like whether it's OK for government employees to rape and murder people or whether Britain should leave the EU on particular terms, the opposition has a duty, a moral duty, to make its position clear even if it can't affect the outcome of the vote. 

holyzombiejesus

It's our CLP meeting in a few minutes and we've arranged a couple of points of order, an amendment and will also publicise an open letter criticising the general sec. Someone's just emailed us all to say it's likely we'll be muted and possibly subsequently suspended. Another (ace) woman has asked that we all make signs to hold up saying things like 'reinstate Jeremy Corbyn' and 'sign the open letter' but that kind of thing just makes my bum twitch and brings me out in hives. Was going to make one saying Sir Fucks Dogs or summat but it's probably best not to.

Buelligan

Good luck HZJ, do a sign if you can, even if you have an itchy bum.  All guns blazing old bat but calm guns, calm word guns that change the world! 

Listen to it again to power yourself up with disrespectful laughter.  https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1333355057056780288

Twit 2

you have not done more to get Corbyn elected than me...etc

Would it be fair to say at this stage the formula for a lot of your posts is "I'm the best at x", where x is the topic at hand: Italian food, getting Corbyn elected etc?

Buelligan

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 01, 2020, 07:25:19 PM
It's our CLP meeting in a few minutes and we've arranged a couple of points of order, an amendment and will also publicise an open letter criticising the general sec. Someone's just emailed us all to say it's likely we'll be muted and possibly subsequently suspended. Another (ace) woman has asked that we all make signs to hold up saying things like 'reinstate Jeremy Corbyn' and 'sign the open letter' but that kind of thing just makes my bum twitch and brings me out in hives. Was going to make one saying Sir Fucks Dogs or summat but it's probably best not to.

Also, come back here when it's done and tell everything!  :)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Diatribe

If you'd stopped to wipe the froth from your mouth you might have seen that I already acknowledged, indeed went so far as to defend the act of abstaining. Unsurprisingly, given I have been blessed with a memory longer than a cuttlefish, I can remember the Brexit period of last year and what Labour did over that period. My criticisms of Starmer are over his choice of abstention and that he doesn't possess enough MPs for that to be a viable strategy let alone useful optics in most cases, and has simply helped reinforce the opinions we have gathered and that you, among others, have fought to deny.

As usual you've exhausted tracts of land in order to say very little, and the pissing contest you opened with is frankly irrelevant to the discussion.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Good luck.

How much inter-CLP coordination is going on? Would it have more impact if these were announced in packs rather than individually?

Johnny Yesno

Good luck, fella.

Maybe your sign could say #StopThePlane. Kieth has been unacceptably silent on that.

bgmnts

Make a picture of Keir Starmer slitting the throat of a Yemeni child.