Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Just about as bad as you can get

Started by Johnny Yesno, November 30, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 13, 2021, 01:49:06 PM
Covid has killed more people in just over a year than civilians died in WWII. In fact, than civilans who died in all the wars of the 20th Century.

(That's in Britain. Russia comes nowhere near. Its WWII death toll was massive.)

greenman

Quote from: Buelligan on January 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM
Yes, that's true enough.  I just find it so hard to accept that all those decades of patient work were pissed up the wall by the PLP and now our only choice appears to be to repeat that.  We can't repeat it, we must do something to make sure that the PLP or other party grandees are never able to destroy our work like that again.

I do think automatic reselection needs to be one of the core ideas of any future left wing labour leader, the lack of this is really the antidemocratic drag that allowed the PLP to clearly avoid following the politics of most of its members and arguably voters.

idunnosomename

funny how Boris Johnson stole the twitter line of "Marcus Rashford being the real opposition holding the government to account" at PMQs even though it's admitting his government is shit and needs to be held to account.

Starmer needs sorting out. Just get him done!

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 13, 2021, 02:36:26 PM
funny how Boris Johnson stole the twitter line of "Marcus Rashford being the real opposition holding the government to account" at PMQs even though it's admitting his government is shit and needs to be held to account.

Things that provide better opposition to the Tory government than Starmer:

1) Premiership footballers
2) The Tory government
3) A mouldy spud
4) The void

Cuellar

Sad isn't it that the government can freely admit to these massive failings, confident that they'll STILL look better than the opposition after doing so.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: chveik on January 13, 2021, 01:05:31 PM
1) stopping to send money to the labour doesn't mean that they're giving up the fight
2) I'm not an expert in Bolivian politics, but unlike labour, the MAS has been consistently a left wing party,

1) It means they're giving up the fight for the machinery of the only party that can plausibly take power from the tories.
2) MAS has very recently been a party of which being a member can get you expelled from life.

pancreas

Quote from: pigamus on January 13, 2021, 01:16:10 PM
She seems pure Lib Dem to me.

As if she's allowed any of her own opinions. It'll be Mandelson and Blair telling the pair of them what to do.

GoblinAhFuckScary

king_tubby

Well this seems a worthwhile use of his time. Lots of swing voters reading the Telegraph.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1349442484993220611

Blumf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 13, 2021, 07:13:56 PM
https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2021/01/13/the-last-thing-labour-needs-is-another-fiscal-rule/

The other half of that 'fiscal rule' thing is; does anybody believe a thing any politician, regardless of party, says on such matters? It's just fucking noise.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blumf on January 13, 2021, 08:31:09 PM
The other half of that 'fiscal rule' thing is; does anybody believe a thing any politician, regardless of party, says on such matters? It's just fucking noise.

Apparently what Blair did 23 and a half years ago is exactly what we should be doing now, in a pandemic, after a generational financial crash, austerity and the rise of the far right in old Labour seats discontented with lack of support for local investment and politicians not listening to them.

Pink Gregory

"My Party" is it Rosie.  Not the one that you work for or represent.  Says a lot.

jobotic

Patel referred to the police as "my police" the other day.

No difference between them.

idunnosomename

it's my party and i'll purge the trots if i want to

greencalx

"My party" is one of those handy phrases that alerts you that you are dealing with a right-wing idiot.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

More like a spurned hover-handing incel in grebo jeans holding a midnight vigil outside the broken home of a teenage crush.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: king_tubby on January 13, 2021, 08:26:26 PM
Well this seems a worthwhile use of his time. Lots of swing voters reading the Telegraph.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1349442484993220611

Why is it always Tory voters they try to appeal to and not the huge number of people who haven't voted in the last few elections? Maybe look at what's put them off voting. What about trying to appeal to the 835,579 people who voted Green in 2019? I suppose you'd never be able to get Lib Dem voters given most of them want to rejoin the EU which isn't going to happen.

Appealing to Tory voters will mean becoming more like the Tories. Maybe Keith will be told to act more like Boris Johnson. Calling people "Folks" a lot, look really unhealthy, make his hair untidy before speaking.

NoSleep

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
Why is it always Tory voters they try to appeal to and not the huge number of people who haven't voted in the last few elections?

Because the non voters want or need something that he doesn't want to put on the table; justice.

Paul Calf

Yeah. That would be a dangerous Corbynite strategy that's far too democratic for a modern democracy.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
I suppose you'd never be able to get Lib Dem voters given most of them want to rejoin the EU which isn't going to happen.
What the fuck do Lib Dem voters really want though? Civil liberties? Centrism? A Conservative party that's actually pro-business? EU membership? Or is it just moral purity, to throw their vote away on the high ground? I don't think it's possible to appeal to people whose main goal is to prove they're individualistic Saab drivers by not voting Labour or Tory, and there's not that many left anyhow (Scotland seemingly doesn't have any, not even enough to find vaguely plausible candidates).

thugler

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 14, 2021, 10:30:23 AM
What the fuck do Lib Dem voters really want though? Civil liberties? Centrism? A Conservative party that's actually pro-business? EU membership? Or is it just moral purity, to throw their vote away on the high ground? I don't think it's possible to appeal to people whose main goal is to prove they're individualistic Saab drivers by not voting Labour or Tory, and there's not that many left anyhow (Scotland seemingly doesn't have any, not even enough to find vaguely plausible candidates).

It just wants to be very slightly different to whatever Labour and the tories are offering at the time. If Labour is on the left they will claim to be sensible 'middle ground' centre right, if Labour shifts to the right they'll be just to the left of them on a few things to pick up votes. It's not coherent and I struggle to understand why they still exist.

greenman

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 14, 2021, 10:30:23 AM
Or is it just moral purity, to throw their vote away on the high ground?

A very significant issue I'd say, a lot of people have very thin skins and cannot abide there "trusted media sources" such as the BBC, Guardian, etc being critical of them, a few smears is enough to have them running to their own moral safety.

greencalx

Quote from: thugler on January 14, 2021, 10:58:21 AM
It just wants to be very slightly different to whatever Labour and the tories are offering at the time. If Labour is on the left they will claim to be sensible 'middle ground' centre right, if Labour shifts to the right they'll be just to the left of them on a few things to pick up votes. It's not coherent and I struggle to understand why they still exist.

I think centrists (in general, so including Lib Dems) are people who are uncomfortable with right-wing politics but are scared of trade unionism.

NoSleep

Quote from: greencalx on January 14, 2021, 12:11:20 PM
I think centrists (in general, so including Lib Dems) are people who are uncomfortable with insert right wing policy here but are scared of  insert left wing policy

Centrism is a fantasy product of the media and the establishment to limit debate amongst its target consumers. I'd find it hard to believe that "centrist" politicians and pundits don't understand this is some way or another. I doubt that any of them "believe" in "centrism". e.g. Keith.

phantom_power

And considering how anything even slightly left wing is branded in the media as "hard left" then a lot of centrism is really soft right

monkfromhavana

Centrism is just a way to keep yourself on the gravy train by not ruffling any feathers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It has been raised that Starmer tipped over to 1m followers on twitter after a sudden influx of what appear to be bot accounts with 6+ digit handles, who have no followers.

idunnosomename

What if Sir Keir naturally attracts pointless automatons? Give the man a break, seriously!