Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:41:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Just about as bad as you can get

Started by Johnny Yesno, November 30, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 14, 2021, 12:48:00 PM
It has been raised that Starmer tipped over to 1m followers on twitter after a sudden influx of what appear to be bot accounts with 6+ digit handles, who have no followers.

He's found his fan base. I always said he looked like Cromartie, the Terminator in the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Hmmm... too human-like.

greenman

I still say Hans Landa with a gammon infusion.

idunnosomename

SirKeir Starmer is a grown-up man, he's a grown-up man, he's a grown-up man

SirKeir Starmer is a grown-up man, yes he's a grown-up man

yes he's a grown-up man

Buelligan

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2021, 01:13:55 PM
SirKeir Starmer is a grown-up man, he's a grown-up man, he's a grown-up man

SirKeir Starmer is a grown-up man, yes he's a grown-up man

yes he's a grown-up man

chveik

Sebastian Cobb

Oh lol it turns out Starmer's Telegraph column was a 'joke' by The Independent and nobody questioned it.

QuoteAlly Fogg
@AllyFogg
Haven't been around much today, but have I correctly understood today's events? The Independent made a joke about Keir Starmer being given a column in the Telegraph but nobody realised it was a joke because A/ it wasn't funny, and B/ It was entirely believable?

Johnny Yesno

'It was a joke, maaaan, and I fooled you, hahahahah! God, you're so embarrassing.'

Rizla

Richard Leonard's thrown in the towel, leaving scottish labour leaderless and 40 odd points behind the SNP with holyrood elections on the horizon. Can hardly blame him really.

Rizla

I on't think Broony can save the day here but fuck knows what the answer is - SNP have the centre, scottish tories the unionist vote. Labour are fucked for good up here. I remember when Jim Murphy would give speeches on an irn bru crate in the kirkgate centre, better together he said we were. And here we are.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Rizla on January 14, 2021, 04:49:46 PM
I on't think Broony can save the day here but fuck knows what the answer is

Whatever it is, Starmer hasn't got it. Likewise, Labour don't have a rabbit to pull out of the hat to challenge Sturgeon.

Leonard is doing the right thing because this will mitigate how much electoral defeat can be blamed on the left (all the while ignoring that Blairism is entirely behind why Labour have gradually failed in Scotland )

imitationleather

I'd totally forgotten there even was a Labour party in Scotland.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2021, 06:00:53 PM
I'd totally forgotten there even was a Labour party in Scotland.

England are beginning to as well.

pancreas

Quote from: Rizla on January 14, 2021, 04:49:46 PM
I on't think Broony can save the day here but fuck knows what the answer is - SNP have the centre, scottish tories the unionist vote. Labour are fucked for good up here. I remember when Jim Murphy would give speeches on an irn bru crate in the kirkgate centre, better together he said we were. And here we are.

It almost sounds like Labour might do well to pretend to be left wing in Scotland. But that's not on brand right now, nor has it been in Scottish Labour for a very long time, aiui.

Rizla

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 14, 2021, 05:59:12 PM

Leonard is doing the right thing because this will mitigate how much electoral defeat can be blamed on the left (all the while ignoring that Blairism is entirely behind why Labour have gradually failed in Scotland )

Yeah, honestly, fuck it. Best to walk away[nb]rumour is he's being forced out by Murray and Baillie "at the behest of a potential new donor" good stuff guys[/nb], leave the smouldering remains of the entire fatally compromised exercise to Anas Sarwer and Ian "fucking" Murray and the other beige centrist binfires. What a depressing shitshow scottish politics has become.

Blinder Data

Leonard was a poor leader mostly because no one knew who he was. When they did find out it didn't get more positive for him, unfortunately.

It looks like there will be a leadership election before the parliamentary elections, which is ambitious. Maybe they're hoping to emulate the success of the NZ Labour Party. Monica Lennon as Jacinda Ardern, anyone? *crying laughing emoji*

It looks like it'll be Anas Sarwar. This is not great but probably still better than Leonard. He's obvs not going to be FM so his job is to stem the losses.

I would've hoped for an interim leader until the elections, as I think there could be more interesting candidates to pick from the wreckage in May. There are far too many utterly useless and pointless Labour MSPs.

Quote from: Rizla on January 14, 2021, 06:17:05 PM
rumour is he's being forced out by Murray and Baillie "at the behest of a potential new donor" good stuff guys

Where are you hearing this rumour? Apparently he'd lost the confidence of the SEC which saved his neck late last year (https://labourlist.org/2021/01/richard-leonard-quits-as-scottish-labour-leader/).

pancreas

I wish you wouldn't come into this thread. I can feel my lunch pondering exit strategies.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 14, 2021, 05:59:12 PM
Blairism is entirely behind why Labour have gradually failed in Scotland.

Not entirely. Scottish Labour was already in decline well before the Blair years. Big factors being the ineffectual response of Scottish Labour MPs to deindustrialisation in the 80s and, particularly, the loss of the Govan by-election to the SNP in 1988 (Bob 'Bobby Gillespie's da' Gillespie being defeated by ex-Labour man Jim Sillars) after being shown up by a much more radical SNP stance on the poll tax. Working class folk of my dad's generation were deserting Labour for the SNP in droves during this period. True enough, the decline certainly sped up dramatically due to Blairism after the initial honeymoon period.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ok, sure, but if we take 1997 Labour were in a strong position nevertheless and offered devolution.

Nerd observation: You could nearly travel from the Hebrides to Dover through purely Labour constituencies.

Downhill from there.

The results of an election based on the first-past-the-post system can hide a lot of detail of things (latent, or otherwise) that are happening below the surface. Bear in mind that Labour's decline in Scotland began from a position of almost Amazon or Google-like dominance.

I'm not disputing that the decline sped up dramatically in the Blair years, but not all of its roots were there. Not trying to absolve Blair of anything - never could stand the man.

Zetetic

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-55649017

It does not seem likely that England and English institutions like UK Labour will support "radical federalism".

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Rizla on January 14, 2021, 07:12:02 PM
https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1349767137666195461

From that same thread:

Quote from: Eleni Courea @EleniCourea
Starmer has "a good working relationship" with Tony Blair and speaks to all former Labour leaders, his spokesman says

"Tony Blair has played a really important role in the last couple of months"
1:28 pm · 13 Jan 2021

https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1349347592250028038

Johnny Yesno

And also from a week ago:

Quote from: Sienna Rodgers @siennamarla
NEW: Labour frontbench appointments:

Jack Dromey and Fleur Anderson have joined the Cabinet Office team
Matt Rodda has joined the DWP team as shadow pensions minister
Sam Tarry has joined the transport team
2:46 pm · 7 Jan 2021

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1347192881707175936

Is this good? Sam Tarry is alright, iirc.

EOLAN

Glad to see that Starmer still talks to Jeremy Corbyn. Although given that he talks to all former leaders it more likely he holds a seance with Jim Callaghan and Ramsay McDonald than speak to Corbyn anymore.

king_tubby

Johnny Yesno

jamiefairlie

Quote from: EOLAN on January 14, 2021, 08:32:15 PM
Glad to see that Starmer still talks to Jeremy Corbyn. Although given that he talks to all former leaders it more likely he holds a seance with Jim Callaghan and Ramsay McDonald than speak to Corbyn anymore.

Ramsay McDonald would be apt.

Enzo

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 14, 2021, 09:34:22 PM
Ramsay McDonald would be apt.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Starmer used the term "National Labour" soon

Blinder Data

Quote from: pancreas on January 14, 2021, 06:40:16 PM
I wish you wouldn't come into this thread. I can feel my lunch pondering exit strategies.

So much for the tolerant left! For my part, I wish you wouldn't be such a needlessly rude prick.

Quote from: Rizla on January 14, 2021, 07:12:02 PM
https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1349767137666195461

Cheers. I doubt the call was that crucial to his departure (Leonard admits as much) but it's cute that the donors think they could be so important. Scottish Labour is just a bunch of bald men fighting over a comb at the minute.