Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,324
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Just about as bad as you can get

Started by Johnny Yesno, November 30, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 14, 2021, 11:19:33 PM
So much for the tolerant left! For my part, I wish you wouldn't be such a needlessly rude prick.

He's not alone, just think I should register that.  Sure, there's tolerance but sometimes, don't you think there's room for honesty too?  Even in politics.

It does get pretty old, seeing your weak-ass, entirely predictable interjections about how perfectly marvelous everything is now we have an establishment blairite stooge running the party.  Remembering when you used to speak fairly nicely about the SNP here, considering that, presumably, as you don't seem to like them any more, that was just another little wedge, used to attack the left and Corbyn supporters. 

Good news, no need to continue, we now have a useless pointless block of artificially-grown gammon in the driving seat.  Labour is, once again, drifting with the tides of capitalism and war.  Can't you just be satisified with that and accept some of us aren't happy at all about it?  Or is that rude?

Should we just be quiet, a little ripple of applause perhaps, as you assiduously polish that awful toad again.

Johnny Yesno

Even thugler has conceded that Kieth Stalin is a harmful piece of shit so you're just embarrassing yourself now Blinder.

EOLAN

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 15, 2021, 12:53:28 PM
https://skwawkbox.org/2020/05/03/poll-suggests-public-finds-piers-morgan-even-press-briefing-journalists-hold-johnson-to-account-better-than-starmer/

Like that the piece points out the horrendous use of forensic. In fairness; it was one of the big successes of Starmer's PR team by just making all journalists go along with the "forensic" catchphrase for his first few PM Questions. That word was so saturated across the board I think journalists were almost afraid not to go along with it; and of course not so subliminally looked to imply that Corbyn's questioning didn't have any value to it.

Buelligan

A brilliant article that needs really thinking about and acting on.  This is the way forward for, not just Labour but the Left.  This is the beginning of the conversation that will help to build the map that explains why we're alive, what we want and how we're going to get it.  IMO, deserves its own giant thread. 

Dr Rock

I got an email today reminding me I need to renew my Labour membership. I couldn't do it.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 15, 2021, 06:42:06 PM
I got an email today reminding me I need to renew my Labour membership. I couldn't do it.

Ditto.

Not to worry. If Twitter followers are anything to by, the PLP will conjure up 300,000 paid-up member bots to prove how popular Keith is.

Johnny Yesno

More on Richard Leonard's resignation from Scottish Labour by Aaron Bastani:

Do Donors Now Control The Labour Party?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nDCKJQ5G2o

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 15, 2021, 08:41:58 PM
More on Richard Leonard's resignation from Scottish Labour by Aaron Bastani:

Do Donors Now Control The Labour Party?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nDCKJQ5G2o

I've been watching the current episode - (about 20 odd minutes behind due to faffing) and they had a good interview with a Labour MSP about Leonard and some other things. He made some good points about English adulation for the SNP despite being better than Boris not being a high bar, and Scotland not doing much better on lots of important points (e.g. worse on care homes). I didn't agree with him on everything but at the end they asked about the direction he said he thinks things will go and I think he's bang on that they reckon they're 4 times more likely to pick up left-leaning Labour voters who defected to the SNP than Labour voters who defected to the Tories over recent issues, but it's more likely the new guard will go after the Tory defectors.

idunnosomename

this idiot keeps posting against lockdown tuition fees

https://twitter.com/ClaudiaWebbe/status/1349735685733793798

how about. fucking tuition fees full stop. staff are working just as hard.

she's from ken livingstone's office and crowbarred into Keith Vaz's slot after he got the boot for his rent-boy shenanigans

honestly, this fucking party. absolute shite.

Absorb the anus burn

Noam Chomsky now taking part in the Sunday launch of Corbyn's Project for Peace and Justice... Due to high demand, the event will be streamed live on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.

greencalx

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 15, 2021, 09:59:28 PM

Harder. (ong).

I presume she doesn't draw her salary when she attends parliament or holds constituency surgeries virtually, because obviously that doesn't involve any real work.

But the bigger point, as you note, is that it's tuition fees full stop that are the issue, whether or not these convert into in-person or online classes.

thugler

Starmer indicates he would back tougher restrictions. Not actually saying which ones of course.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 15, 2021, 09:59:28 PM

I think what she's hamfistedly pointing out is that this cohort of students aren't getting the poorly defined but nevertheless real 'student experience' when they're paying the same as previous cohorts. It's not just the in-person teaching but the other use of physical infrastructure alongside their peers that adds to the sense of value, a value that universities have previously spent a lot of time and money marketing as being superior to online learning. That contradiction has come to bite them on the arse.

Obviously, this has all come about because of the government's marketisation of Higher Education, and students shouldn't be paying £9,250 anyway. But the government could still ease the problem by offering students a reduction in their fees instead of leaving universities, who can't afford the loss of income, to shoulder the blame and possibly, in the end, the costs.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You do get this kind of expediency a lot, where people in influence exploit a situation to further the background agenda, but obstruct the final goal through their own tactics.

Currently there's been a big push in universal basic income groups for "Emergency UBI" which they think helps get the policy closer to being implemented but actually obscures that the policy is intended to be permanent and a bulwark against crises, not for emergency use in crises.

I think the 'this idiot' stuff is a little harsh. Webbe has a half-decent voting record from what I can recall.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Buelligan on January 15, 2021, 08:27:26 AM
He's not alone, just think I should register that.  Sure, there's tolerance but sometimes, don't you think there's room for honesty too?  Even in politics.

It does get pretty old, seeing your weak-ass, entirely predictable interjections about how perfectly marvelous everything is now we have an establishment blairite stooge running the party.  Remembering when you used to speak fairly nicely about the SNP here, considering that, presumably, as you don't seem to like them any more, that was just another little wedge, used to attack the left and Corbyn supporters. 

Good news, no need to continue, we now have a useless pointless block of artificially-grown gammon in the driving seat.  Labour is, once again, drifting with the tides of capitalism and war.  Can't you just be satisified with that and accept some of us aren't happy at all about it?  Or is that rude?

Should we just be quiet, a little ripple of applause perhaps, as you assiduously polish that awful toad again.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 15, 2021, 11:12:37 AM
Even thugler has conceded that Kieth Stalin is a harmful piece of shit so you're just embarrassing yourself now Blinder.

Good memory. Such was my amazing foresight and deep antipathy to Corbyn, the one time I voted for the SNP was in 2015 before he became leader...

I'm not asking anyone to be quiet - all I ask is that you and others don't dump on me for the temerity of posting. I made some pretty bland remarks about Scottish Labour, about which I know more than most on here, and essentially got told to f off. Professional trolls like Milverton got better engagement than that!

Despite what you assume, I do not think everything that Starmer is doing is perfectly marvellous, mostly because he hasn't done anything concrete beyond the predictable flag and family stuff. It's extremely uninspiring stuff, which I think is intentional on his part as he thinks it will eventually take him to No 10. It's hard to get excited about it for me either way, as someone who didn't sign up because of Corbyn.

It's a shame that the last few years of Labour politics have curdled the brains of so many on here to the point where you can't discuss things in an open way without being dismissed as a TFM-alike just because you don't/didn't support back Corbyn 100%.

tl;dr - please everyone, have a laqer and a wank

jobotic

Quote from: thugler on January 16, 2021, 12:30:14 PM
Starmer indicates he would back tougher restrictions. Not actually saying which ones of course.

Come on now, that's not all he said.

He also said that he's "still worried" by the high number of Covid cases, thus cleverly not falling into the trap of saying he's "yeah, not that bothered really".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote"Labour can be the party of business and the party of workers... We shouldn't see a contradiction between the two. What we're against is the cronyism," Rachel Reeves tells #FEPSFAB21

Outsourcing and Brexit are opportunities "to cement ourselves as the party of business and the party of workers", Reeves says. On Labour's criticism of Tory cronyism in Covid contracts, she says "it's cutting through". #FEPSFAB21

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1350434784028336129

🤦

jobotic

How is it possible to read that and not think I'm done with this fucking joke of a party?

Buelligan

Rachel Reeves has always been in the wrong party, Keith's promotion of her is just another sign of how utterly fucked Labour is under his leadership.

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 16, 2021, 01:04:38 PM

Whilst Rome burns?  Whilst people suffer?  That's the problem. 

It's fine not to be that bothered but don't expect people who are extremely bothered to pat you on the head or even tolerate your heel-kicking whilst you enable the shackles that keep everyone down.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on January 16, 2021, 02:12:27 PM
How is it possible to read that and not think I'm done with this fucking joke of a party?

"few worker's rights for some, cheap tat from the far east for others!"

Thomas

Quote from: thugler on January 16, 2021, 12:30:14 PM

The ones on Corbyn's membership.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 16, 2021, 01:04:38 PM
I do not think everything that Starmer is doing is perfectly marvellous, mostly because he hasn't done anything concrete beyond the predictable flag and family stuff. It's extremely uninspiring stuff,

No. Caving in to the English nationalist vote is extremely harmful stuff.

Quotewhich I think is intentional on his part as he thinks it will eventually take him to No 10.

No. Purging the left from the party and getting in the big donors is the primary goal. No 10 would be a happy bonus.

QuoteIt's hard to get excited about it for me either way, as someone who didn't sign up because of Corbyn.

The fact that you are intensely relaxed about this demonstrates just how ignorant you are. Don't expect zero pushback to your comfortable stupidity.

QuoteIt's a shame that the last few years of Labour politics have curdled the brains of so many on here to the point where you can't discuss things in an open way without being dismissed as a TFM-alike just because you don't/didn't support back Corbyn 100%.

Really, don't expect zero pushback to this kind of crap.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on January 16, 2021, 06:26:24 PM
Labour always say they're the party of business, though.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/869221324668981248

Yeah, but McDonnell is about saving business from itself with radical change, whereas these lot are about begging for scraps from business under the current broken system.

I'm not sure Rachel Reeves's plan is even that coherent, to be honest. She's not someone who has ever had anything interesting to say. "Party of business" is just standard Labour empty-speak rather than anything pernicious, which is about what I'd expect from her.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

^ Correct.

With regards to Blinder Data, I think JY is right that you can't post the type of stuff contained in his posts sometimes and not expect some pushback. Clearly given his recent comments he must not be oblivious to how it comes across, in which case what he is posting is intended, approximately or otherwise, to be that way.

That said, I think lately JY posts directed at Blinder Data have come across overly personal and lashing out at something which, while may be his fault on a micro level, shouldn't be his responsibility to take the full brunt of. I feel extremely resentful, bitter and angry about the political situation almost daily, but Blinder Data is many hundreds of points down the list of reasons why that is.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteWhat would you like Labour to have achieved in a year's time? Rayner: "For everybody in the Labour Party to be talking positively about the Labour Party, with a smile on their face saying 'I'm part of a great movement and we're doing great things'." #FEPSFAB21

good luck with that with the current direction.

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1350495517743206402

Sebastian Cobb

Also more paper thin shite from Kieth

Keir Starmer to declare himself 'pro-American but anti-Trump'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-joe-biden-donald-trump-labour-b1788092.html

I've literally heard more substantial political insight attributed to page 3 girls in the Sun's 'news in briefs'.