Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Just about as bad as you can get

Started by Johnny Yesno, November 30, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Thomas

Enjoyed Zarah putting the sign language interpreter through a speedrun after the gentle pace of Chomsky. Yanis is a great speaker, too.

Buelligan

Made me cry.  Imagine how this world might be, how Britain might have been now, with Corbyn as PM.  Absolutely determined to do whatever it takes.  Zarah was great and Varoufakis.  Going to watch it again I think.

Get involved https://thecorbynproject.com/projects/

NoSleep

Yanis introduced me to a new term there; technofeudalism; which he says is a better term than capitalism, which it has superceded.

Buelligan

Yes, and he's right.  The relationship is far more seigneur and peasants than the relative equality of paying customers and a merchant.

NoSleep

Coined by Steven Yates:

QuoteWhile preserving some of the vocabulary and outward features of market capitalism, technofeudalism is about social control. Its tools include artificial scarcity, the destruction of education, and fear induction, reducing common people to the status of permanently cash-strapped, mentally paralyzed subjects — living with the world's most advanced technology but equivalent to serfs. Hence the term technofeudalism. There is reason to believe the effort will not succeed in the long run. But the attempt has already done colossal damage, and will do more as it slowly destabilizes. This is something we can only prepare for as best we can, starting by minimizing contact with organizations the superelite controls, while building skills to meet our own needs.

Johnny Yesno

Yanis and Zarah were excellent. Zarah doesn't come across as a particularly strong person but actually she is fearless in her criticism of those with the power. Compare with Jess Phillips, who is gobby but essentially weak.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Phillips wants to impress her chums, Sultana wants to improve people's lives.

evilcommiedictator

Remember months ago people were talking about how hot Priti looks, and *bam* here's Zarah, baby, making the world a better place!

ZoyzaSorris

NoSleep

jobotic

So is Monica Lennon preferable to Anas Sarwar or does none of it matter?

Cuellar

Quote from: NoSleep on January 17, 2021, 04:55:32 PM
Steven Yates:

QuoteThe Four Cardinal Errors: 1. The U.S. never won full economic sovereignty from Great Britain and its banking elites housed in the City of London. 2. The U.S. embraced an educational system alien to its founding principles. The new system was rooted in the Prussian tradition where the state owns the individual instead of the American Constitutionalist tradition. 3. The U.S. followed Europe in abandoning an essentially Christian culture and replacing it, very slowly, with an increasingly materialistic one, leaving the middle class twisting in the wind in terms of moral foundations. 4. We failed to recognize the role and modus operandi of the British Fabian Society: penetration and permeation of all institutions, in pursuit of a globalized, dehumanized British-American capitalism which, coupled with philosophical collectivism, could be steered and used to transform as much of the developed world as possible into a totally controlled global society

Right.

bgmnts

Did materialism not exist during the time of the church? Were ludicrously opulent churches lined with gold a purely spiritual thing.

NoSleep

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 10:59:56 AM
Did materialism not exist during the time of the church? Were ludicrously opulent churches lined with gold a purely spiritual thing.

I suppose it could be viewed as some sort of sacrifice of incredible wealth to the spiritual, at least from the outside.

gib

Where's Starmer getting his hair done now all the barbers are closed?

NoSleep

NoSleep

Quote from: gib on January 18, 2021, 11:05:52 AM
Where's Starmer getting his hair done now all the barbers are closed?

It's a plastic helmet he wears.

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone coined a term for militant centrists that are as bitter and angry as gammons, but politically a bit different?

Buelligan

FBPE?

Chairman Starmer's approved styles -

NoSleep

Sebastian Cobb

Love the idea that he's wearing a syrup. It's a pity he can be as misleading as he likes and Obermen will defend it with mindbending rationale and fall back to "well it's this or the tories" if they get unstuck, but it'd take a big wig falling off moment to lose appeal and people to accept he's a phony.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on January 18, 2021, 11:19:22 AM
FBPE?

Chairman Starmer's approved styles -

Ahh, so that's what it stands for: Full Barnet Poly-Ethylene

Now I know which recycling bin to place Keith.

bgmnts

I assume he just goes to a barber with a picture of himself 3 months prior.

He doesn't even want these haircuts but his wife does and he doesn't have the heart to say no.

gib

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 11:31:33 AM
I assume he just goes to a barber with a picture of himself 3 months prior.

He doesn't even want these haircuts but his wife does and he doesn't have the heart to say no.

My point is that you're not allowed to go to the barber at the moment. Say what you like about Johnson but it's clear he's not breaking lockdown rules to get his hair done.

bgmnts

gib

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2021, 11:36:11 AM
Surely MPs have their own personal barbers?

Probably. But surely that's not allowed in lockdown either.