Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:57:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Just about as bad as you can get

Started by Johnny Yesno, November 30, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 30, 2020, 12:07:51 PM
Except the gap in 2017 was only 800,000 votes but Labour were still 60odd seats behind the Tories and a long, long way off being able to form a government alone. Awful to say it but there were a lot of wasted votes in '17. The 20,000 plus majorities in Bristol, Liverpool and London just aren't useful, under our current system.

2,227 votes. Maybe you should do some elementary reading, mate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-election-results-votes-away-prime-minister-theresa-may-hung-parliament-a7782581.html

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on November 30, 2020, 07:42:34 AM
They can gtf and all.

And another thing.  Corbs didn't even "claim the issue had been "dramatically overstated for political reasons"".  He said that incidence of AS in the membership of the Labour Party had been overstated etc.  Not the same thing at all.  But who gives a fuck about words and what meaning they convey?

I mean, if we actually looked at what's being said here - if someone's going after Jez for saying that, they're arguing that AS is rife in the membership. 

Is it?  Is it Keith?  Are huge numbers of ordinary Party members, who are paying their subs and doing all the other unpaid shit the worker ants do, are tons of them raging antisemites?  Where's the proof?  Where are the investigations on which you base this?

Or was Corbyn correct in what he said.  Again.

It's the dramatic overstatement when he says that claiming that the scale of the issue had been 'dramatically overstated' is 'just about as bad as you can get' that makes me apoplectic. Is he really that stupid or is he trolling us?

Sebastian Cobb

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 30, 2020, 02:56:50 PM
It's the dramatic overstatement when he says that claiming that the scale of the issue had been 'dramatically overstated' is 'just about as bad as you can get' that makes me apoplectic. Is he really that stupid or is he trolling us?

No he is just giving the JC what it wants which is hyperbolic statements because it seems more politically expedient to not have the press etc.. making the public think he is part of the AS problem rather than it is keeping some lefties on side that didn't vote for him, never liked him and are never going to like him.

We may disagree with it but it is perfectly rationally from his perspective i.e. someone that wants to cement his leadership role in the party and be the next PM.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 30, 2020, 03:11:40 PM
preaching to the FBPE band of useful idiots imo

But they must all know that you can get far, far worse. Which means that he's openly lying with the full knowledge that we know he's openly lying. The MO of the tories.

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 30, 2020, 02:56:50 PM

I honestly think he's trying to stop people even thinking about what Corbyn actually said

Quote from: Jeremy Corbyn on FacebookOne antisemite is one too many, but the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media. That combination hurt Jewish people and must never be repeated.

Because Corbyn's defending the membership there.  He's saying that the perception was/is that a significant proportion of Labour Party members were/are antisemites and he's saying that is not true.

Starmer is arguing that Corbyn's statement is wrong and therefore, we are, the Labour Party membership is, crawling with antisemites.  If that's true, it's a pretty serious allegation.  I'd like to see the evidence for it.  I'd like to see how it was investigated and established.  If there is no evidence, what is his problem with what Corbyn said?

https://www.facebook.com/330250343871/posts/my-statement-following-the-publication-of-the-ehrc-reportantisemitism-is-absolut/10158939532253872/

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 30, 2020, 03:23:56 PM
But they must all know that you can get far, far worse. Which means that he's openly lying with the full knowledge that we know he's openly lying. The MO of the tories.

I think they're a useful tool for spreading disinformation whether they recognise it or not.

Another forum I go on, which is ostensibly about music had a centrist start a thread dedicated to Labour Antisemitism, it largely seemed to be circular arguments of them taking what we'd said at at the worst possible reading claiming it was antisemitic and then them admitting they didn't believe we had meant their interpretation, but we need to be more careful, what a waste of time, we should've called the guy a spiritually bald dog nonce on page one.

Buelligan

I'd totally agree with that.  Debate them, yes.[nb]Only scoring this through now because it no longer meshes with anything that bastard Cobb wrote.[/nb]

Tell you what though, being in Europe is probably as important to me as to most people.  Those FBPE cunts have turned me into a virtual Brexiteer, just by virtue of their awfulness.  I'm not even lying.   Cannot wait to cast them off.

ETA  We all edit sometimes, I forgive you Cobb.  Heheh.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm sorry I edited that somewhat massively so may have changed the context of your response Bullers, didn't mean to.

Buelligan

Fucking hell, jobotic.  Does it feel like everything is corrupt?

QuoteA board member of the government's equality watchdog has 'liked' or retweeted social media posts criticising Black Lives Matters protesters and describing the words misogynist and homophobe as "highly ideological propaganda terms" in the latest controversy to beset the EHRC, the Guardian can reveal.

Alasdair Henderson, who led the Equality and Human Rights Commission inquiry into Labour party antisemitism this year, also liked a tweet decrying "offence-taking zealots" who accused Roger Scruton of antisemitism, Islamophobia and homophobia, and one by Douglas Murray, who once called for Muslim immigration to Europe to be banned.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 30, 2020, 02:21:47 PM
The IDS' have done him in a Stormzy parody now, lol https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1333355057056780288

BTW, I should've said, this has made me incredibly happy.  Their best yet I think.  What?

Buelligan

And, meanwhile, out in the cold real world, the Jamaica Gleaner appears to be the only paper covering this

QuoteFormer British Labour Party Leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has written to the United Kingdom's secretary of state, Priti Patel, calling for her to adopt a humane approach over the deportation of several men to Jamaica on Wednesday.

"This planned deportation appears to be a continuation of an unnecessarily harsh approach that ought to have been abandoned on the back of lessons learnt from the Windrush scandal," Corbyn wrote.

"Very few people are currently allowed to fly out of the UK due to the pandemic so it's not clear to me how this character flight can be justified"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20201130/corbyn-pushes-back-against-wednesdays-deportation-flight-jamaica

holyzombiejesus

Just had interesting conversations with members of my CLP. Not sure if anything will amount to much but I'm glad that I'm still a member and can be a part of mobilising against Keith and Dave.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on November 30, 2020, 11:28:03 AM
The alternative to Labour winning is the Conservative Party, the most malevolent force in UK politics winning so yes, I would prefer Labour win.

A shit idea to have a party leader who was wildly unpopular and who would go on to gift the Tories an 80 seat majority, yes.

The cows are calling for you. Piss off you scum.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 30, 2020, 06:22:14 PM
Coincidence the Guardian breaking this story now after Mandy says he doesn't want the EHRC recommendations in full?

I want all to perish.

TrenterPercenter

They've also now published underneath it "Politicising the EHRC: 5 controversial appointments"

Quite convenient you might say, funny how they didn't think to publish any of this any sooner.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mandelson and the Blairite right are not so considerably better than Tories for a 'preference' for them to have any practical meaning for those seeking political answers to their life circumstances. Too much has happened for it to be remotely credible to actively desire a government intent on carrying on the same shit with varying levels of pong.

What we need is constitutional reform and open selection so we don't have these soft left gatekeepers like GOBII  explaining why the Labour delivering the party's best result since 1997 despite it being the only election which was internally sabotaged proves we need to give up our fantasy daydreams of a better future.

If Labour led by a supposedly awful Corbyn could achieve that then presumably a left wing leader without his faults could at least equal that.

If you want to get rid of gatekeepers like GOB we need open selection and accountability for MPs. All our future success will flow from that.

Buelligan

Anyone thinking about the sudden re-emergence of Mandelson should read this article, which appeared in The Canary in 2016 and think on't.

Think about Mandelson sitting tight with Keith.  And about what a win in 2017 would have meant.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 30, 2020, 06:22:14 PM
Coincidence the Guardian breaking this story now after Mandy says he doesn't want the EHRC recommendations in full?

That is... interesting.

imitationleather

Would it be rude of me to say that Peter Mandelson has always creeped me out?

king_tubby

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1333500501254615047

QuoteBREAK:
@UKLabour
will abstain in tomorrow's #coronavirus TIER vote

This means it will pass irrespective of Conservative rebels

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on November 30, 2020, 07:53:06 PM
Would it be rude of me to say that Peter Mandelson has always creeped me out?

why isn't the multiple "friend of paedophiles" in jail?

bgmnts

Keir Starmer to abstain actually popped up on my news feed, as if it means anything.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: king_tubby on November 30, 2020, 08:06:45 PM
https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1333500501254615047

Abstaining on something like this is weird.

If you support it, vote for it. If you don't, oppose it. Why is Starmer so keen on Labour abstaining?