Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:41:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why are American paperbacks floppy?

Started by pigamus, November 30, 2020, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Fr.Bigley

Because they an be substituted for bread in times of great struggle.. Grapes of wrath and bologna please.

pigamus

buttgammon

It seems a lot easier to splay an American paperback open without breaking the spine.

pigamus

There are floppy British ones - I've got a Penguin one here - but all American ones seem to be floppy as far as I can see. If it's better then it must be bad for you - is it more acid in the paper or something?

Noodle Lizard

I thought the quality of printed books was just going down due to eBooks. But yes, now I think of it, this shift in quality did seem to happen around the same time I moved to the US ...

Keebleman

American books are far superior in this respect.  Impossible to read a British paperback while eating without having to force it to stay open, usually by jamming it under the rim of the plate.  I've got Robert Caro's 1500 page The Power Broker in a US paperback edition and it stays flat no matter on which page it's open.

studpuppet

They're printed long grain (the grain of the paper running from top to bottom) - Europe tends to print cross grain, although nowadays lots of PBs are printed on digital short-run presses that mean they end up being long grain. If you order a new book and it's a backlist title, it's most likely been printed this way. Amazon even have ISP (In Stock Protection), that means if you order for next day delivery and they can't get it from the publisher in time, they'll spit out a print-on-demand copy from one of their fulfilment centres to get it to you, and then charge the cost of it back to the publisher.

The upside of printing cross grain is it prevents the book from wrinkling (or 'cockling') up when humidity changes, as one of the sides that would wrinkle is held flat in the binding.

Neville Chamberlain

I think it's because they inject them with cheese.

pigamus

Ever had a hard spine? Like concrete and won't bend no matter what? That appears to be a British thing as well

Retinend

I love American paperbacks. You're right: how do they do it?

Mister Six

It's because they use corn syrup instead of cane sugar.

Quote from: pigamus on December 01, 2020, 09:05:54 AM
Ever had a hard spine? Like concrete and won%u2019t bend no matter what? That appears to be a British thing as well

Morning stretches, regular visits to a chiropractor and antiinflammatories in an emergency do it for me.

buttgammon

Another thing about American paperbacks: the covers usually feel a lot grainier than British/Irish ones. They're almost always matte as well. I have a few American Penguin Classics here and the texture, finish and rigidity are all very different to the other Penguin Classics in my collection.