Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Launch Line-Up

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, November 30, 2020, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's almost certainly going to be a Nintendo one, but for the sake of argument; which console had the best selection of games on release?

The latest bunch aren't all that inspiring (what with being available on older consoles) but then I cast my mind back and that seems to be the case for most systems I've ever owned. All the games that convinced me to choose a PS4 over an Xbone were released at least a year after the console itself.

beanheadmcginty

Amiga 600 - Lemmings, Pinball Dreams and Deluxe Paint III.

Sin Agog

Fucking Ridge Racer, gate-crashing every blimmin launch since the mid-'90s.

You'd have to go some to beat the Dreamcast. It benefitted from coming out here a year after Japan and a couple of months after the US so they could actually get some games ready.

Sonic Adventure, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Sega Rally 2, Power Stone, House of the Dead 2, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Tokyo Highway Challenge, Trickstyle, Hydro Thunder. I think SoulCalibur was out a couple of weeks later as well.

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 30, 2020, 05:15:09 PM
Fucking Ridge Racer, gate-crashing every blimmin launch since the mid-'90s.

No Ridge Racer since the shitty PS Vita version, sadly. PS4, Xbox One and Switch are thoroughly Ridgeless.

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 30, 2020, 04:13:20 PM
It's almost certainly going to be a Nintendo one

Not likely. Their launch line-ups are generally one really good game, then absolutely fuck all else, from them or anyone else. Maybe their handhelds have been better, that's a blind spot for me.

Kelvin

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 30, 2020, 05:24:55 PM

Someone should have told them David Prowse didn't really know how to fly a spaceship.

Quote from: Kelvin on November 30, 2020, 05:21:36 PM
Not likely. Their launch line-ups are generally one really good game, then absolutely fuck all else, from them or anyone else. Maybe their handhelds have been better, that's a blind spot for me.

The GBA launch was pretty decent. Kuru Kuru Kururin, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Tony Hawk 2, Iridion 3D and GT Advance, Super Dodgeball Advance and Fire Pro Wrestling were all great. Ports of Super Mario Bros. 2, Rayman and ChuChu Rocket were brill too.

Vectrex hasn't been bettered for me.

Scramble, Fortress of Narzod, Web Wars, Clean Sweep, Spike, Space Wars and Berzerk all in my fucking bedroom!

bgmnts

GK: Original Xbox
RB: PS1
CB: Xbox 1
CB: Atari 5200
LB: PS3
RM: PS4
CM: Nintendo 64
CM: Sega Megadrive
LM: PS2
ST: Nintendo Wii
ST: Nintendo Switch

Sin Agog

Quote from: Kelvin on November 30, 2020, 05:21:36 PM

The 3DS' launch games were notoriously bad, espesh their first-party games, namely Steel Diver, Nintendogs and Pilot Wings (which was actually pretty cool to mindlessly jet around).  Third-party had things like Rayman 3D (I dig Rayman 2, but this was already on the DS so it wasn't 'zactly world-shaking) and...Ridge Racer 3D, which also wasn't too bad, although the PSP will always be the baddest beast for handheld racers, especially Outrun Coast to Coast.

Thursday

Quote from: bgmnts on November 30, 2020, 08:31:31 PM
GK: Original Xbox
RB: PS1
CB: Xbox 1
CB: Atari 5200
LB: PS3
RM: PS4
CM: Nintendo 64
CM: Sega Megadrive
LM: PS2
ST: Nintendo Wii
ST: Nintendo Switch

I'm sorry, I don't understand this post. Can someone please explain it to me?

*edit* I've just worked out that those are football positions.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Rev+

Must be the PS2, as a quick Google tells me that Evergrace and FantaVision were available from day one.

Chedney Honks

I think I'm going to have to say the PS5.

WRC9
Spider-Man Remastered
Astro Bot

Something for everyone.

Bazooka

Gamecube didn't have a single dud:

Luigi's Mansion.
Wave Race: Blue Storm.
Super Monkey Ball.

Xbox had Dead or Alive 3, Jet Set Radio and arguably the best launch title across the machines aside from Mario 64; Halo.  Halo could carry the console alone.

Hand Solo

The PS5 has almost 30 launch titles?

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
Borderlands 3
Bugsnax
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Dead by Daylight
Demon's Souls
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
DIRT 5
Fortnite
Godfall
Goonya Fighter
King Oddball
Maneater
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
NBA 2K21
No Man's Sky: The Next Generation
Observer: System Redux
Overcooked: All You Can Eat
The Pathless
Planet Coaster: Console Edition
Poker Club
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
Watch Dogs Legion
WRC 9

That's not bad, but I'm guessing a lot of those are 4K rehashing of PS3 games considering it's backwards compatible, like what happened with the Gamecube and the Wii? In my memory Nintendo usually only release about 1 or 2 titles with a console, and you're lucky if there's more than two or three third party developed games at launch either. How many games is usual for a newly launched console?

Bazooka

Quote from: Hand Solo on December 02, 2020, 09:32:29 PM
The PS5 has almost 30 launch titles?

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
Borderlands 3
Bugsnax
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Dead by Daylight
Demon's Souls
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
DIRT 5
Fortnite
Godfall
Goonya Fighter
King Oddball
Maneater
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
NBA 2K21
No Man's Sky: The Next Generation
Observer: System Redux
Overcooked: All You Can Eat
The Pathless
Planet Coaster: Console Edition
Poker Club
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
Watch Dogs Legion
WRC 9

I guess it's good, but depends on how you look at it when only three of them are PS5 exclusivels.

Chedney Honks

It's only backwards compatible with PS4.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 02, 2020, 09:57:03 PM
It's only backwards compatible with PS4.

Whoops, yeah, I can't count.

I don't get this about consoles, why can't they be compatible with all the older models in the that line PS1, 2, 3 etc? I understand they have a different architecture and games need to be optimised but can't the inhouse company just develop an emulator for all that and it enables them to advertise and sell a load of old games stock.. Nintendo obviously did this with the Wii store but were shit at it. I suppose with rampant piracy it's not really worth the time and effort if you're concentrating on the best new games and graphics to sell your console.

I don't own any consoles so don't know how it works these days, do they just let developers optimise old games for the latest platform PS5 etc and then they advertise the new HD version on their online store or something, hence them not giving much of a fuck about emulation?

Chedney Honks

Sony have never been interested in it. They took out the ability to play PS2 games on the PS3 in an early hardware revision. PS3 architecture is apparently very awkward and they were never motivated to create a solution for the PS4. They've always been about new games to sell the new system and clear generational leaps. They have released straight ports of PS1-3 games, though, albeit they ask you to pay again, just like Nintendo.

They have a very curated, limited consideration for the PlayStation back catalogue because they're much more interested in getting people to buy the new stuff.

Without being console warsy, they absolutely battered Xbox with the PS4, both in terms of new games and raw sales. The PS4 has sold enormous amounts during a time when people were regularly pontificating about the death of the console as a concept. The list of PlayStation exclusives this recent gen has basically forced Xbox to abandon the traditional console model because they could not compete.

MS found themselves in the position of having the most powerful console (One X) with almost no first party games to show it off. They pivoted to the Game Pass subscription model which is undoubtedly great value but is also predominantly a collection of older third-party games, which are also available on the PS4. It's innovative for a games console and I wish I could have had something like that growing up to be able to try so many different things rather than two games a year or whatever, but there's no way that this was MS's intention at the start of the gen. It was a response to being left miles behind, as was Backwards Compatibility.

I was impressed by BC on the One X and the time they put into getting games to run at higher resolution and framerate. They managed to modernise and present the best way to play certain games, like the original RDR or Ninja Gaiden Black or the Halo games. I only had a look for ten minutes but I appreciate the effort, anyway. In comparison, Sony seemed a bit behind the times in this respect and MS made a big deal about how BC would be a big focus for the Series consoles. Sony barely mentioned it.

Fast forward and MS somehow release the next-gen Series consoles without ANY exclusive launch titles to show it off. All the marketing was about Game Pass (now not just older games - but last gen games) and the benefits of BC to Xbox one games, with 4K60fps upgrades. Bizarre that they have nothing at launch but OK, they're doing something innovative now and not directly competing with Sony. They're ahead of the curve in a different way.

Except it turns out that the PS5, despite making no real comment on BC, also gives automatic upgrades to a load of PS4 games. A game released a few months ago, Ghost of Tsushima, just runs at double the framerate, without any fanfare. A load of third party stuff just runs at 4K60 without any developer input or patches. Turns out the PS5 does BC with PS4 just the same as the Series consoles do with the One, except there were a shit load more top tier PS4 games. Unless you're really invested in the Xbox system, or get a lot of value from Game Pass, there's no reason to get a Series console. In fact, there's currently no reason to get one besides upgrades to the small number of Xbox One games.

Hand Solo

Thanks, I'm a former 90s gamer and I've only really started playing stuff again because of lockdown.

I'd imagine the whole format in a weird place at the moment as they are trying to transition into the Stadia/GeForce Now/xCloud platform.. I don't know how long that's going to take to become the norm, the Stadia controller has the Wi-Fi chip in the actual controller so communicate with the router/server directly to circumvent the bluetooth input lag, but there's lag in other areas I suppose needs cutting down too before more serious gamers could consider switching over.

Then again, it seems most 'serious' gamers all play first-person shooters these days, and play them with controllers which is completely backwards, back in the 90s/early 2000s you'd get laughed at for playing competitively with a controller, mouse and keyboard was the only way to go. There's definitely a lot more competitive gaming now, but a lot of it seems strangely infantile in that most of it is a load of kids swearing at eachother over headsets and using controllers to play shooters, or trying to competitively play using screen controls on a phone over Fortnite or whatever. It's bizarre.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 30, 2020, 05:28:26 PM
The GBA launch was pretty decent. Kuru Kuru Kururin, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Tony Hawk 2, Iridion 3D and GT Advance, Super Dodgeball Advance and Fire Pro Wrestling were all great. Ports of Super Mario Bros. 2, Rayman and ChuChu Rocket were brill too.
Shame you couldn't actually see Circle of the Moon

PSP was pretty good iirc, Lumines and a bunch of other bits.

In terms of major consoles N64 is surely a good shout? Pilotwings and Mario 64, nothing for 3 months then Wave Race 64, nothing for 2 months then MK64 (which sucks)

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Hand Solo on December 03, 2020, 12:15:54 PMI don't know how long that's going to take to become the norm, the Stadia controller has the Wi-Fi chip in the actual controller so communicate with the router/server directly to circumvent the bluetooth input lag, but there's lag in other areas I suppose needs cutting down too before more serious gamers could consider switching over.
The major issue with 'thin client' based gaming is that it's always going to have lag of some sort.  It varies on your local ISP/how far away Google has their servers, but it's always going to be at least a couple of frames.  The Bluetooth lag is going to be of the order of <5ms.  The network lag is going to be 20ms+.  So yeah eliminating the Bluetooth is going to help, but not as much as you think.  Basically, ping google.com and however long that takes to respond, double that and add a bit more as the server will still have to process your inputs before sending you the video.

It's a fucking stupid business model if you ask me.  Thin clients/dumb terminals made sense when a computer cost £500k and took up an entire floor.  Now you can buy a wristwatch for less than £50 that has more CPU power than it took to get to the moon.  Stadia was just Google's failed attempt to get it on the console hardware market with a USP that aligned with the greater company vision.  What better way to sell 'games as a service' than keeping it all on your servers and selling the customer a subscription to play it.

Quote from: Hand Solo on December 03, 2020, 12:15:54 PMThen again, it seems most 'serious' gamers all play first-person shooters these days, and play them with controllers which is completely backwards, back in the 90s/early 2000s you'd get laughed at for playing competitively with a controller, mouse and keyboard was the only way to go.

There are tournaments for people playing on pad, but it's like comparing formula one to the local donkey derby.

Bazooka

Mouse and keyboard is for casuals, not G@M3RZ.

People still laugh, only the sound is drowned out by all the braying donkeys.