Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:39:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Criterion Collection

Started by Chedney Honks, November 30, 2020, 07:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Metropolian was shot on 16mm wasnt it so you wouldnt expect it to look massively sharp in HD, still though I'd say you can get some improvement relative to DVD. HD probably the limit of improvements from 16mm, UHD/4K from 35mm and with 8K probably only stuff shot on larger format film would benefit much.

Criterion do seem to be moving towards some titles being region A/B if there something they think they won't release in the UK(I'd guess due to animal cruelty where cuts would be demanded?), Come and See being a recent example that I really need to get aroudn to importin.

wasp_f15ting

I think rather than demand its an issue with archaic distribution rights.

It really does my head in that they haven't found a way to get over that in a digital age where any of us could download these films and they'd forgo all profits.

Its nice that amazon do import fees deduction at source so I can import them in, but its just a hassle of connecting my Region A BD Player in that irks me!

Yeah I think 16MM stretches the boundaries of HD, I found issue with ClockWork orange

greenman

Clockwork Orange was shot in 35mm wasn't it? the existing bluray doesn't look very good though so hopefully that gets a UHD release next.

I would say 16mm scanned well does look better on HD, not as big an improvement at 35mm but the grain looks a bit more natural and less blocky.

Most Criterions being region locked I'm guessing is due to rights issues but again for something like Come and See they know the BBFC won't pass it uncut so just did a US release and made in region B compatible.

the science eel

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on December 02, 2020, 02:07:07 PM

Tokyo Drifter looks really stylistic so also very intrigued in seeing that

I saw that one the other night. It's a hell of a film. And I couldn't get the title song out of my head for days.

Chedney Honks

I would massively recommend getting a region free BD player. It's opened so many doors to stuff which otherwise just wouldn't exist for me.

Or, if you're capable of following instructions to the letter, you might try Region Freedom firmware if your player is compatible.

Dont complain to me if you make a mistake and they block your player, but I got it working and it was a lot cheaper, quicker and more straightforward than hardmodding.

Mister Six

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 02, 2020, 11:36:36 AM
I don't know, but probably not for all of them since they vary quite wildly. A lot of directors like Scorsese don't watch their own films after they're finished (barring premieres) so unlikely they'd be able to oversee an entire transfer.

That seems mad. I can imagine cheapo distributors shitting out a DVD off a crappy old transfer (don't have to, actually, I have documentary evidence that happens) but it seems barking mad for Criterion - the supposed high water mark of film brands - to actively monkey around with the appearance of a film without consulting the director.

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on December 03, 2020, 04:01:46 AM
That seems mad. I can imagine cheapo distributors shitting out a DVD off a crappy old transfer (don't have to, actually, I have documentary evidence that happens) but it seems barking mad for Criterion - the supposed high water mark of film brands - to actively monkey around with the appearance of a film without consulting the director.

To be fair though that's making the assumption that earlier home releases of a film reflected what the director signed off on with the original cinema release.

kaprisky

Quote from: greenman on December 02, 2020, 02:35:27 PM
Criterion do seem to be moving towards some titles being region A/B if there something they think they won't release in the UK(I'd guess due to animal cruelty where cuts would be demanded?), Come and See being a recent example that I really need to get aroudn to importin.

Quote from: greenman on December 02, 2020, 03:23:02 PM
Most Criterions being region locked I'm guessing is due to rights issues but again for something like Come and See they know the BBFC won't pass it uncut so just did a US release and made in region B compatible.

Come and See, the 1985 Elem Klimov film, has never been cut in the UK. Apart from the original cinema release there appears to have been two DVD releases this century.

greenman

What the BBFC cut can change over time though, I believe in recent years there's been more of push against anything with animal cruelty in it.

Criterion announced they'd put out the longer cut of Andrei Rublev in the UK but it didn't happen for that reason, perhaps the same with Marketa Lazarova?

If it was just a rights issue I'd imagine you'd just have the bluray region A locked like most previous US Criterions.

Sin Agog

I tend to prefer their Eclipse series: same clean transfer jobbies, but usually for some genuinely fascinating movies I'd never heard of, often in tasty boxsets.  Was watching the Larisa Shepitko Ascent/Wings double from them recently- she's the short-lived wife of the Come & See geezer- and next time I see a 'Best Directors with XX Chromosomes" thread, she'll be the first name that comes out of my mouth.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mister Six on December 03, 2020, 04:01:46 AM

The notes for the Criterion one say that the cinematographer oversaw their transfer (although that could be anything from watching it every step of the way or just looking at some screenshots), no mention of Lee himself looking at it though.

greenman

Again though you can't take a previous disk release to reflect the directors intensions a lot of the time, maybe a bit moreso with modern films but chance are the original release was done without Lee or anyone involved in the productions say so.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 03, 2020, 02:02:18 PM
Larisa Shepitko Ascent/Wings double

absolutely bangin' double. both of these films blew me away

wasp_f15ting

I watched Revanche it was tac sharp, and absolutely gorgeous..

However it was apparently shot on 16mm!!

So maybe 16MM is still capable of some detail yet.

I also watched Bigger than life last night - what a stunning release. Gosh I am glad I came back on CAB and found this thread.
These BDs were bought in 2010 / 2011 and I just left them on my shelf and never watched them :)

I am addicted now.

wasp_f15ting

Went on a bit of a binge this weekend..

Ordered the Fellini and Bergman collections.

I love Bergman so really looking forward to that set, but Fellini I have never watched. This seemed like a good way to get into it.

Chedney Honks

Not got much experience with either but those sets are supposed to be fantastic, sounds like a great way to explore them. I've got Seven Samurai coming on import. I have the BFI version which is supposed to be great, and I really enjoyed it, but the Criterion is apparently better again. Might flog my BFI.

the science eel

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on December 07, 2020, 11:50:32 AM
Went on a bit of a binge this weekend..

Ordered the Fellini and Bergman collections.

I love Bergman so really looking forward to that set, but Fellini I have never watched. This seemed like a good way to get into it.

Those sets that are going for over 100 quid each?

greenman

The Bergman set is about 40 films isn't it? not really that expensive for what it is.

the science eel

Quote from: greenman on December 07, 2020, 02:39:27 PM
The Bergman set is about 40 films isn't it? not really that expensive for what it is.

No, it's not. I'm thinking of getting it. But still - one fuck of a big investment if you're not familiar with his work.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: the science eel on December 07, 2020, 02:42:53 PM
No, it's not. I'm thinking of getting it. But still - one fuck of a big investment if you're not familiar with his work.

I'd suggest streaming a few of his films if you are interested. I absolutely love Wild Strawberries as for some reason it reminded me of Ikiru by Kurosawa.
Looking forward to slowly working through them all again when the set arrives.

The Fellini set is a blind buy, but I am sure I won't be disappointed.

the science eel

Oh, I loved Wild Strawberries too. Beautiful film. But The Seventh Seal bored the shit out of me. Anyway - maybe I'll watch a couple of others.

I'm still waiting for a decent stand-alone bluray of 8 1/2

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: the science eel on December 07, 2020, 07:14:11 PM
Oh, I loved Wild Strawberries too. Beautiful film. But The Seventh Seal bored the shit out of me. Anyway - maybe I'll watch a couple of others.

I'm still waiting for a decent stand-alone bluray of 8 1/2

This new box set apparently contains a new remaster so shall let you know how it looks.

greenman

I'v been considering picking it up to replace those old Tartan DVD's for awhile, I spose one thing thats holding me back is I find I can't really watch loads of Bergman back to back. Then again I'm guessing some of the more obscure stuff might have a bit more variety of tone to it, more films like the Magician.

Its region free isnt it?

wasp_f15ting

I really enjoyed Hour of the Wolf too, one of the members on here recommended it, great film.
I have that on DVD somewhere if I find it I can send it to you!

wasp_f15ting

Found Hour of The Wolf on DVD and Ghost World.

Ghost world BD is arriving from Criterion is arriving

So if anyone wants the following I'll ship them out to you at no cost:

1. Tree of Life BD as I have the Criterion
2. Hour of the Wolf - DVD - First preference for Greenan
3. Ghost World - DVD

It'll be sent RM Second Class tracked but with their delays as they are might be a while before you get em.

Chedney Honks

I got this corker from Father Christmas.

Absolutely gorgeous. Enter the Dragon next up after we finish Gremlins.

wasp_f15ting

Fantastic Set, grats!

I went a bit mad and ordered another 19 titles..

I was very pleasantly surprised by Ghost Dog. I do not remember this film very well from my younger days, but certainly appreciate it now. The scorching sound track, and the very cool story certainly appealed to me. The 90min Jim interview was great too. Deffo worth a pick up.

I do intend to Come and See soon that looks so good but probably need to be in a good mood to watch it!

Chedney Honks

I've not seen Ghost Dog since the original release but I am tempted to give it a go.

Seven Samurai Criterion turned up and it's superb, a definite improvement over the admittedly very good BFI release in the Kurosawa Samurai Collection. It's a film I can never get bored of watching. There's always so much happening in every shot, and all of it focused on the moment or feeling he's trying to convey. It's unbelievable how richly conceived this is. It must be instinctual to a degree, because I can't imagine such an depth of thought behind every shot.

Also, back to the Lone Wolf and Cub boxset, which gets darker and more violent and oppressive as it goes on. It's bloody brilliant. Another one with absolutely fantastic artwork.

Mostly, I've been picking up Eureka! stuff of late, though. All of their Jackie Chan releases are fantastic, they've really given me a lot of joy over the last couple of totally shit months. I also picked up Jet Li's Once Upon A Time In China trilogy, but not watched it yet. Also by Tsui Hark and recommended by ImmaculateClump, I watched Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain and it's pure FantAsia. Superb spectacle of mad wirework, charming effects overload and some superb physical showmanship from Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung, among many others. Great stuff and one I'm really pleased to have on the shelf.

wasp_f15ting

We should perhaps start a boutique blu-ray thread, as Eureka, Arrow and Indicator are pushing out a lot of good movies. I have been buying a fair bit from them too. I got the Female Prisoner series from Arrow and it looks right up my street in terms of revenge series.

I was inspired by your post re- Seven Samurai and ordered it from the US. The BFI release is on sale atm but the Criterion release seems to pip it in terms of overall definition.

wasp_f15ting

Finally made a start on the Ingmar Bergman Box Set, the first film I played was Port of call - Even in these earlier films you can really get a grasp of his want to portray intimate human connection. I was surprised there was some nudity as well as the rather shocking subject matter. I didn't realise films in 1948 were exploring these types of subjects. I am glad I get to see a fair bit of his filmography with this box set.