Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eton Teacher sacked for teaching Jordan Peterson/ Sexist Science to the Kiddies

Started by Retinend, December 01, 2020, 09:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: Zetetic on December 02, 2020, 11:12:39 PMa Holocaust-denying excommunicated "bishop"

At the risk of derailing my own thread[nb]it's not totally irrelevant though: many of those who embraced the word of Peterson have since embraced catholicism in a counter-cultural manner reminiscent of GK Chesterton or Evelyn Waugh, but with a more hateful and malcontent modus operandi: google "nick fuentes groypers" to see this kind of hatred-masquerading-as-catholicism in action in the modern United States... dumbed down to homeopathic levels since the days of Chesterton, of course[/nb] holy 💩 this is a weird guy:

Bishop Richard Williamson Walks Through the History of the World
▶️ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o90Iu-bUsg
May 20, 2020, 100 likes 2,683 views
contents list, taken from the uploader's comments box

0:58- The Proper Order- Religion primary, Politics secondary, Economics tertiary
3:55- The Greeks understood this order even without revelation
5:30- European Union failed
5:57- Karl Marx is an agent of the Antichrist
7:18- Objective reality and order
10:46- God gave mankind 2 great lights in the 20th century: Pascendi and Fatima
11:08- Consecration of Russia
12:29- St. Pius X grew up a peasant; how a peasant life can point you to God
15:09- Pascendi (Papal Encyclical on Modernism, St. Pius X, 1907) and the two important lines
17:38- Immanuel Kant- the mind can do what it wants to reality
19:23- modern philosophers ignore the purpose and the essence of a thing (Formal and Final Cause)
19:59- women have stronger will; men have stronger reason
21:08- modern philosophers are trying to get back to reality, but Kant's starting point (avoiding God) makes it impossible
21:57- misbehavior always followers error
22:34-  the basis of morality is almighty God, not Kant's theory
22:45- God spells out in the 10 Commandments the Natural Law, a moral law
23:06- We are getting very close to the end; the basics are simple but modern man is in one huge revolt against God.
23:30 - Pascendi on Subjectivism
24:40- Kant is now the king of the castle in philosophy; it's no longer about learning about objects and the objective order God created; its now one big "selfie"
25:25- modern man is insane, but he doesn't realize it; we continue to live by common sense but within our theories, we destroy and deny common sense (and natural law)
26:26- we're making war on God. Tom Thumb story
27:58- God has a long fuse, but it's about to blow up. Mother Mary is interceding us at every moment
29:33- modern cities make it hard to live a holy life
31:03- Priests should not grant absolution if a person does not have serious intention to get out of sin
34:30- Farming/agriculture lifestyle
36:06- it was forbidden for your educators to even mention God because God totally disturbs the modern way of life
36:53- man and his environment interact
38:05- our modern environment makes for an easy life, but its against the 2nd and 3rd sorrowful mysteries of the rosary, the flesh and the world respectively. we can change our environment first by being aware of it.
40:33- city vs. farm life
42:32- we've been made soft by the city life
44:07- the city and schools are primarily concerned with feelings
46:19- the 6 Ages before Christ: Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Solomon, Ezra
49:02- Evolution is nonsense. You cannot get more out of less, except when God creates
50:35- God gave the jews a very special grace until Jesus was born
51:10- the Gulf of Aqaba (twin of the Red Sea) they found chariots wheels
51:51- Noah's Ark found on Mt Ararat
53:10- sadly the Bible is not taken historically
54:28- Mt Sinai is in Saudi Arabia
57:58- 7 Ages of the Church: Apostles, Martyrs, Doctors, 1,000 years of Christendom, Luther, Chastisement, Peace with Our Lady, Antichrist
58:12- Old Testament was clearly finished at the destruction of the Temple
1:02:26- Since the Middle Ages, the Church has been declining rapidly
1:03:05- Break up of Christendom in 3 phases: 1517 Luther (rejects the Church, believes in God), 1717- Freemasonry (believes in God, but not the Church), 1917- Russian Revolution (no God, No Church)
1:05:09- Another view of the 5th stage of the Church is the undoing of the Christian order- King under God, Aristocrat under the king,
1:05:53- Charles Coulombe says the most important person in American history is Henry VIII because he turned England away from the Church and as King, he headed up the revolt against the Church
1:06:22- the top stitch holds the seam together, so when the King revolted against God, everything else falls apart under subsequent revolts. each revolt carries the seeds of the next revolt, against itself.
1:07:56- Lincoln threw off the New England gentlemen; Robert E. Lee was a Virginia gentleman
1:08:41- Karl Marx backed the North in the Civil War; but Bl. Pius IX recognized the South. Abraham Lincoln
1:10:08- modern man has poor principles because they're not Catholic principles. The only way to get out of the continual descent is to get back to the Catholic Church, because it is what God founded to rescue the human race.
1:15:34- the scorn of the white gentile male
1:20:05- Lefebvre: and Vatican II
1:35:55- clearing the air that he is not an anti-semite

"1:35:55- clearing the air that he is not an anti-semite"
I buy that: nothing antisemtic about this passing remark here, for example

Retinend

I had a teacher who told us that Saddam Hussein wasn't really captured in 2003 but that they had actually captured his double in that underground bunker. He said we should think critically about how desperate the USA were to catch him, and the lowly situation they found him in. He also told us (a class of 12 year olds) that when we were disunited, we could be picked off one by one, but if we were united against a tyranny, that no government could withstand us.

Cuellar

Zetetic

Quote from: Retinend on December 03, 2020, 09:50:35 AM
At the risk of derailing my own thread
holy 💩 this is a weird guy:

What I don't understand is how they finance this stuff. Embezzlement from the Catholic Church 'proper'? Turning up an introducing yourself a bishop and awkwardly explaining that you've forgotten your wallet?

(I and (as I remember it) another boy demanded a meeting with the headmaster, he insisted that he'd just made a mistake and didn't really know who the bloke was.)

Retinend

If this is what the early 20th century catholic converts were like, I could finally understand why Orwell hated them so much.

And good on you for challenging your headmaster: I find it quite funny that he felt somehow beholden to indulge a fellow old-boy like that (feeling guilty for not remembering him?). But at least he wasn't feeding you some crap about "diversity of thought" or "critical faculties" afterwards.

evilcommiedictator

I mean, what a good job application for Murdoch's new news network than by being SACKED BY COMMUNIST ETON FOR TRUTH TELLING LIKE WOT IT IS

Ominous Dave

Couldn't actually make it through the video, but it seems to be the usual bullshit nostalgia about how men aren't real men anymore. Narrated by a guy who sounds like a snotty 12-year-old child.

The prison rape thing is particularly egregious though. Should the rates of male rape in prison lead us to think that incarcerating huge numbers of men for trivial reasons (and to generate profit for private prison-owning companies) is bad? No, it's all the fault of feminists for some reason.

Also: anyone who uses the word 'chivalry' unironically can fuck off. And public schools are really fucking weird.

Dr Rock

Retinend

Quote from: Ominous Dave on December 04, 2020, 07:46:03 AMThe prison rape thing is particularly egregious though. Should the rates of male rape in prison lead us to think that incarcerating huge numbers of men for trivial reasons is bad? No, it's all the fault of feminists for some reason.

Yeah the prison rape argument is when you know you have an incellectual on your hands.

Bazooka

Unsurprised to see the loaded responses here based on it being Eaton, many would not hold the same line for a less prestigious institution.

pcsjwgm

Knowland is too nuts even for the right-wing culture warriors at the Spectator (although there will probably be a piece by James Delingpole or someone else defending Knowland, for "balance"):
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/eton-was-right-to-sack-will-knowland

Twit 2

Quote from: Bazooka on December 04, 2020, 09:22:20 AM
Unsurprised to see the loaded responses here based on it being Eaton, many would not hold the same line for a less prestigious institution.

Not sure that's quite true. But even if it were, seeing as Eaton is the ladder up to positions of huge influence and power, don't they deserve some greater scrutiny?

bgmnts

Pretty sure I read an article the other day about how scientists are rethinking the idea that men did the hunting and women did cooking and blowjobs.

I would have thought that myself considering how female lions do pretty much everything while male lions literally just lie there looking fed up.

Even if we did find out that oh no women are equal and we cant use the hunter gatherer societal models to support a patriarchy anymore, people would just ignore it and carry on thinking whatever they want.

Its like how people think we have canines in order specifically to eat meat even though we learnt that probably is not the case.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on December 05, 2020, 11:06:20 PM
Its like how people think we have canines in order specifically to eat meat even though we learnt that probably is not the case.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Retinend

Update: forgot all about this thread and when I remembered it I found that Pinker has subsequently had to eat crow about his disappointing reaction to this Knowland affair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqc2UGcEP6I&t=2062s
Steven Pinker on the 'free speech crisis', woke & 2020 optimism - BQ #40
47,842 views Premiered Dec 17, 2020

The following is copied from the YouTube transcript, so its a bit oddly formatted ('arsed, 'cigs).

INTERVIEWER

you recently
became sort of embroiled in a debate in
the uk
about one of our most or probably the
most
um i don't know prestigious schools in
the country eaton
you at
first came out and said
they shouldn't have done this
this is an attack on free
speech
and then you went and watched the
lecture and you actually said well
actually no i think eaton were right to
get rid of uh will noland
do you regret
making those kind of immediate comments?

PINKER

well
you'll shame on me for not watching the
lecture and taking the description of it
for
on face value the way it had been
described to me was
um that he cited science
social scientific research on sex
differences and how they vary across
countries
and that he was sacked for citing the
scientific
uh data uh and it didn't surprise me
because that that does happen
all too often uh and um
and so i i wrote a letter protesting
that as the basis for for firing him uh
then when i
watched the lecture as opposed to
accepting the uh the description of face
value which i should have done
from the get-go i saw that it was it
went well beyond
just citing um data it was a
a defense of masculine virtues

and so on

um it's not that that should be a uh
a firing offense but it would it
ought to be presented in a context of a
controversial idea with uh arguments
uh against it and what i saw was sounded
more like propaganda
and polemic than a uh disinterested
presentation
of the uh the issues
so i had an
incorrect impression of what was in the
lecture
it's not that i think he should be
fired i actually don't think he should
but i
uh would not uh
want to insert myself in the debate
within eaton as to whether or not he should have been
they might have reasons
especially as um to my shock it is still an
all boys college
uh that they could be sensitive about
issues of of uh
promoting masculine virtues in a
publicly available
uh video uh associated with their their
name

INTERVIEWER

do you think in that instance um you
sort of fell victim to your own
um i don't know diagnosis of people
losing nuance and
and having their own kind of ideology
and ignoring uh
well i suppose you didn't ignore the
facts but you didn't necessarily go and
look into exactly what was
what was what was the case

PINKER

i did not
do enough due diligence
uh so i would uh and and i thought to be
honest i felt a bit misled
uh because it had been described to me
uh
in a way that was not accurate and so i
i did feel deceived uh but i should have
uh uh have less trust yeah
and check for myself taking that
incident to one side there i mean
there's
hundreds of of of cases all around um
the uk and an america of people being
fired from
um university positions and people being
cancelled and
no platformed and whatever for the
beliefs that they hold

thenoise

Quote from: bgmnts on December 05, 2020, 11:06:20 PM
Pretty sure I read an article the other day about how scientists are rethinking the idea that men did the hunting and women did cooking and blowjobs.

Remember a news article about a stone age fella buried with cooking pots instead of weapons in the Czech Republic. And rather than concluding he was a cook, or even a pacifist, concluded that he must have been a gay. FFS.

Kankurette

Then how do they explain chefs? Marco Pierre White and Raymond Blanc and all that lot? 'Cooking makes you gay' is fucking stupid. It's a basic life skill.

Also, I hate the obsession with chivalry with types like these. You are not a knight serving his lord and most of it was made up by romantic novelists anyway.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Retinend on May 01, 2021, 04:35:23 PM
taking that
incident to one side there i mean
there's
hundreds of of of cases all around um
the uk and an america of people being
fired from
um university positions and people being
cancelled and
no platformed and whatever for the
beliefs that they hold
So, I was definitely wrong, and look like a huge tool for not bothering to learn anything about the thing I was defending...but here are all these other unnamed events that I'd have been right about.

You really hope people in the line of work of Pinker would have the least bit of intellectual rigour. Or enough common sense to know this sort of shit backfires on you all the time.

Retinend

For the record, I think the interviewer is commendable for putting it to him (in the form of question) how this incident ought to remind him to follow his own prescriptions better, and I do think Pinker comes off as overly defensive in response.