Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Ha a little bit, I think that's just the way it is. Quite slow to cycle through the pages. But I've got to the level of having seen everthing in the 'Mens' category so I can just sort by 'newly added' or whatever and see the new stuff.

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 06, 2021, 03:59:52 PM
I didn't get that second Toast dress in the end and shouldn't be spending that much money. My mum said it was like something her gran would wear which is rude but also is this a bad thing

Was that the one with the pussy-bow? Sorry but I'm not a fan of those and they seem to come back into fashion every three years or so. I thought the dress looked really nice on the model, but I got the feeling that it wouldn't look as good without a professional stylist and a photographer to make it look that nice, adding bulldog clips and stitches to make it look more fitted. A bit like that time I went to a sample sale for People Tree and all the dresses looked pretty on the hangers but really frumpy when I tried them on.

I do love Toast though. I once had a lovely crisp white shirt from Toast and managed to leave it in Okinawa. When I unpacked my case it was nowhere to be found and I realised I must have left it in the hotel, and had probably thrown it in the laundry basket with the lovely crisp white towels. Nrrrrrrrggghhhh...

GoblinAhFuckScary

Great job Oxfam.

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2021, 04:20:46 PM
Was that the one with the pussy-bow? Sorry but I'm not a fan of those and they seem to come back into fashion every three years or so. I thought the dress looked really nice on the model, but I got the feeling that it wouldn't look as good without a professional stylist and a photographer to make it look that nice, adding bulldog clips and stitches to make it look more fitted. A bit like that time I went to a sample sale for People Tree and all the dresses looked pretty on the hangers but really frumpy when I tried them on.

I do love Toast though. I once had a lovely crisp white shirt from Toast and managed to leave it in Okinawa. When I unpacked my case it was nowhere to be found and I realised I must have left it in the hotel, and had probably thrown it in the laundry basket with the lovely crisp white towels. Nrrrrrrrggghhhh...

I think you're right, tho the tie can work in context. I saw some photos of a similar build with the bow undone which actually flowed quite well. parisian darrrrling

I've not looked at peopletree before. Looks a little too middle glass graun for me. As you can tell I'm into the whole flowy minimal vibe. Art gallery mum, perhaps. Do you know of other brands that do similar?

My stomach turned reading about your shirt rthghghhgdigodusgh

Cuellar

lol it's never been that fucked for me! I just don't think they've got the budget for proper web design sadly.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 18, 2020, 04:48:16 PM
If you're a bloke [Lost Stock] basically send you denim shirts, seriously, look on the site. All the men in the gallery are wearing the exact same denim shirt.

Just checked this out:

https://loststock.com/pages/these-clothes-look-great

Lots of frilly stuff for the wimmin, and lots of them are wearing the same strappy dress in khaki or coral, the same dress with the big animal print, and the same stripy blue and white top with an egregious amount of ruching. The dark denim shirt is quite nice though!

This is interesting- it looks like a lot of the items in those "£70-worth of clothes for £35" packages have been spotted for sale in Matalan, and for much less than £70 for three items, or even £35 for three items:

https://www.muccycloud.com/2020/08/lost-stock-box-have-screwed-up.html

This doesn't sound quite as ethical now. That's a real shame.

That blog post also contains a handly list of the companies that paid the factories in Bangladesh and the ones that didn't. Nike and Gap, companies once demonised for their sweat shop labour practices, are on the Nice list, while quelle surprised, Arcadia are on the naughty list. Bit dismayed to see my beloved TK Maxx on there too.

Uniqlo paid up! That's something to recommend them, I guess...

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 06, 2021, 04:35:50 PM
I've not looked at peopletree before. Looks a little too middle glass graun for me. As you can tell I'm into the whole flowy minimal vibe. Art gallery mum, perhaps. Do you know of other brands that do similar?

Not my style at all so I can't help you there, sorry. I don't wear dresses very often, I'm more into shirts. Quite like a shirt dress though!

EDIT: Actually, Cos might just be your thing. Be warned though, they do use Hermes for deliveries:

https://www.cosstores.com/en_gbp/women/dresses.html

As for People Tree, when I lived in London I used to go to sample sales on Brick Lane, they were held at the Old Truman Brewery on a regular basis. Maharishi were always there and I got a load of their extremely flattering and comfortable but usually eye-wateringly expensive "snopants" for fuck-all (ahhh, the 90's and early 00's, good times). Howies usually turned up as well and I would buy up a load of merino wool base layers, and once got this lovely jumper with a nice cheery ice lolly design, one which didn't make it to their shops and which I wore to death. Got a nice warm Ted Baker parka for a stupidly low price. People Tree once had a stand there but their stuff wasn't for me. I don't know if these sample sales still go on in London, I'd kind of forgotten all about them since moving to Embra.

QuoteMy stomach turned reading about your shirt rthghghhgdigodusgh

I first saw that shirt in John Lewis for about £90 and thought "Nah, I can't justify spending that much on a shirt", then I saw it with 50% off and couldn't believe my eyes and snapped it up. And then I ended up chucking it out by mistake. Double nrrrrrrggghhh.

Would love some more snopants but it looks like Maharishi have stopped making the women's ones, and the ones for sale on eBay cost about as much as they used to brand-new. Probably for the best, I haven't got £180 to spare right now.

Janie Jones

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 06, 2021, 04:35:50 PM

As you can tell I'm into the whole flowy minimal vibe. Art gallery mum, perhaps. Do you know of other brands that do similar?

Ghost
Arket
& Other Stories (I've already plugged them upthread)
Boden (changed for the better in recent years)
Reiss
Mint Velvet (maybe a bit old for you but it's possible to cherry-pick nice items, especially second hand)

GoblinAhFuckScary

Now I've been a bit of a Cos fan for a long time, but I'm kind of realising that, whilst I adore particular pieces, most of their stuff is perhaps not so good and perhaps fits more in The Phantom Menace's wardrobe in actual real life. Something about them can just be... cumbersome

The thought of getting anything halfway affordable down Brick Lane what a dream!

Thank you Janie for the recs x

flotemysost

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 06, 2021, 05:34:21 PM
Ghost
Arket
& Other Stories (I've already plugged them upthread)
Boden (changed for the better in recent years)
Reiss
Mint Velvet (maybe a bit old for you but it's possible to cherry-pick nice items, especially second hand)

Ghost tend to use bias cut on their dresses and skirts, which I find hangs in a really flattering way. I can't afford their stuff new (and I'm still harbouring a grudge for when one of their shop managers basically laughed me out of a job interview when I was 18), but I used to find a lot of stuff in charity shops around Crouch End and Highgate (unsurprisingly).

One of my friends actually got married in a pale green Ghost dress, much cooler than the standard white meringue.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Checking out some Ghost stuff on ebay and their dresses are gorgeous

Icehaven

Quote from: flotemysost on January 06, 2021, 11:13:25 PM

One of my friends actually got married in a pale green Ghost dress,

Cuellar

Janie Jones

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 07, 2021, 12:17:59 AM
Checking out some Ghost stuff on ebay and their dresses are gorgeous

I like this, brand new and reduced from £120 to £36. Bargain! With tights, boots and a cardi you can wear it now and it'll be perfect on its own for spring and early summer

https://www.ghost.co.uk/luella-dress-sophie-leaf-yellow-dc24ak-y30

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 07, 2021, 01:48:36 PM
I like this, brand new and reduced from £120 to £36. Bargain! With tights, boots and a cardi you can wear it now and it'll be perfect on its own for spring and early summer

https://www.ghost.co.uk/luella-dress-sophie-leaf-yellow-dc24ak-y30

lush.

---

Tell you what, been trying to find this dress Laura wears in the Lodge in Peaks. Zara actually had something similar on sale, but I missed it in my size wahhh

Also constantly on the lookout for something with simple b/w chevrons a la Black Lodge

Janie Jones

I think we can't send links in DMs otherwise I'd stop cluttering the thread... There's something along those lines on eBay, probably not your size and far too expensive for an old polyester dress

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363227909412

Sometimes you can make a derisory offer, I know as a seller I'll sometimes bite someone's hand off if I've got stock hanging around.

Keep a look out for the Zara dress, it'll pop up before too long

GoblinAhFuckScary

If anyone's into it there's a big ol' sale on Uniqlo's Marimekko designs spoken about ITT

I am still looking for a Laura Palmer fancy-pants evening dress thank you for helping janie i'm sorry i didn't reply

Thought this bump was 'cos Blue Jam's pyjama bottoms had arrived.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm thinking of buying some harem trousers but am worried it might make me look like I've escaped from a circus.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2021, 03:49:56 PM
I'm thinking of buying some harem trousers but am worried it might make me look like I've escaped from a circus.

Oh God they were such a thing

Big womad vibe

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2021, 03:49:56 PM

I'm thinking of buying some Haram trousers but all I could find were a pair of pyjama bottoms with peppa pig on them.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 10, 2021, 03:41:43 PM
Thought this bump was 'cos Blue Jam's pyjama bottoms had arrived.

Nope: they never arrived. After requesting a replacement about fifty pissing times I finally managed to get a reply from Uniqlo on Twitter, telling me they'd sent me... a refund. Leaving me with half a set of pyjamas. Fucking thanks guys. As an apology they also sent me a £10 voucher code to spend on my "next" order that will probably also never, ever arrive. At that point I just thought "fuck this, they're taking the piss" and sent the rest of the order back to get a refund on that too. Just been told it'll take a minimum of 15 days to process, so that'll be a total of three months from placing the order to getting a refund. This still isn't over and I'm wondering if they'll end up going bust first.

Seriously, don't fucking bother:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.uniqlo.com

https://twitter.com/UNIQLO_UK/status/1336257505903644672

It's a shame, I love Uniqlo's stuff and it's good value for money but this whole experience has been painful and I won't be shopping with them and letting them take the piss out of me ever again. I have a particular pet hate for companies using understaffing as an excuse for crap service, and even more so now more people are ordering stuff online and thousands of retail workers have been made redundant and are looking for work. They used to be so good, what the hell happened?

Was going to order those nice warm Muji pyjamas I had been looking at and... oh dear, same story:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.muji.co.uk

Where's a Japanophile to shop now?

I ended up ordering some nice warm pyjamas from Amazon. Both the top and bottoms arrived the next day. Packaged well, nothing missing, fit as described. I know Amazon are evil and I'd love to support smaller and more ethical companies, I really would, but fuck it, it's going to be minus seven fucking degrees tonight and I just want my legs to be as warm as my top half. Here Jeff, just take my money.

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno about Japanese stuff specifically but onbuy.com is setting itself up as an ethical alternative to amazon with 'everything in one place'.

All I know is they've got cheap tracksuits and stuff on there.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Oh Jam I'm really sorry about that. I regret posting about them in the first place since they've caused such grief.

I did receive a couple of dresses off them but the wait time was honestly a whole month, myself being far too sheepish to chase them up I had been very close to giving up.

you can get a fair amount of the current line on ebay more or less the same price rn

Blue Jam

No need to apologise GAFS, I should have checked the TrustPilot reviews first! I've ordered from Uniqlo before and never had any problems so this was a bit of a shock. Their shops were also a lifesaver when I lived in Tokyo and needed some nice warm jumpers for the cold snap of 2014. It's a shame, they do good quality cheap cashmere, something I could really do with living in Embra, shame none of it would ever reach me!

Just seen this too, one for the 2021 High Street Death List?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/29/uniqlo-uk-customer-service-covid-complain-refunds-delivery

I've looked at eBay, cheers. If I see some Marimekko stuff up there I could be tempted. Sellers on eBay at least take their feedback seriously.

Ferris

Cuellar

Currently looking for a jump suit/boiler suit thing to wear constantly because I can't be bothered putting trousers on anymore.

Want this one but they don't have the size: https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-boilersuit-in-beige/prd/21358961?colourwayid=60160555&SearchQuery=boiler%20suit

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on February 10, 2021, 08:45:47 PM
Currently looking for a jump suit/boiler suit thing to wear constantly because I can't be bothered putting trousers on anymore.

Want this one but they don't have the size: https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-boilersuit-in-beige/prd/21358961?colourwayid=60160555&SearchQuery=boiler%20suit

Plankton went the boilersuit route a year or two ago for the same reason I think, I'd check in with him to see how it's going.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on February 10, 2021, 08:45:47 PM

You want a ski suit. It's like a sleeping bag you can walk around in.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2021, 09:47:10 PM

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 10, 2021, 09:47:10 PM

Hmm, that would be too hot I fear.