Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

I'm experiencing a desire to go monochrome. Bought a few shirts and things during the first lockdown; lots of stuff on ebay, it was a golden age of flogging off old tat. Got some really nice stuff. Most of that's got to go now. It's hard, because these are some lovely clothes, and I know they suit me, but I feel compelled to make the change. I don't know why.

So it's an exploration of what I want to wear now. Luckily I've got a head start, lots of black in the wardrobe. Also, I bought a pair of slim jeans by mistake, and it turned out they suited me, so I'm moving away from a lot of the very baggy stuff that's been a staple of my wardrobe since forever. Gone off crew necks as well, so I'm cutting all my necklines off, for a looser effect.

It's interesting. I find I like All Saints stuff; the loose, patchy grey effect; some of the Abandon Ship graphic tops as well. I'm reselling a lot of the old stuff on ebay so it's not costing me too much to make the change. The best stuff is mostly gone, but it's surprising what sells.

A member here posted up some pictures of all her monochrome clothing, all laid out, that she'd created for an art project. Had a lasting impression on me- all the shades and shapes. I'd love to see those photos again. I thought it might have been Hymenoptera, but a quick skim through her posts didn't reveal the photos.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 21, 2021, 12:02:11 AM

A member here posted up some pictures of all her monochrome clothing, all laid out, that she'd created for an art project. Had a lasting impression on me- all the shades and shapes. I'd love to see those photos again. I thought it might have been Hymenoptera, but a quick skim through her posts didn't reveal the photos.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 21, 2016, 10:48:37 PM
I have a picture of onken's socks that I saved like 2 years ago to make some sort of wank sock joke with but couldn't be arsed. Fresh from my desktop, onkensox.jpg

Ray Travez

GoblinAhFuckScary

Best monochrome look is just to dress like Rei Kawakubo

Blue Jam

GoblinAhFuckScary

a vibe's a vibe what can i say

Ray Travez

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 21, 2021, 12:42:01 PM
Best monochrome look is just to dress like Rei Kawakubo

Love the simplicity of that

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 21, 2021, 12:53:53 PM

haha! This is also a bold, simple look

chveik

NoSleep

Keiji Haino wouldn't be looking like that if it wasn't for the fact that he is a lifelong fan of Les Rallizes Denudes' frontman Takashi Mizutani:

chveik

yeah I know I'm a big fan (musically, can't say I care much for fashion)

GoblinAhFuckScary

always vibed with haino's look he's a very beautiful man

anyway i've been dying to find something like this which doesn't cost the earth

GoblinAhFuckScary

Came here to say I snagged an actual Max Mara suit on ebay for like a tenner which is very exciting to me.

Anyone got experience with suits? I'm really into vintage skirt suits.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on February 21, 2021, 11:10:23 PM
Keiji Haino wouldn't be looking like that if it wasn't for the fact that he is a lifelong fan of Les Rallizes Denudes' frontman Takashi Mizutani:

Is that a fender bigsby-style bridge? Didn't know they made such a thing.

Another eBay item to track down for my tele custom.

Ray Travez

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 14, 2021, 05:47:48 PM
Came here to say I snagged an actual Max Mara suit on ebay for like a tenner which is very exciting to me.

Just googled, and I like the lines of those. I always appreciate simplicity in a suit. I think the trousers are good- distinctive and elegant.

Got some beautiful All Saints suede Chelsea boots off Vinted for £20, but they don't fit; I've got quite wide feet. Probably can sell them on easily though.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Ray Travez on March 14, 2021, 10:12:24 PM
Just googled, and I like the lines of those. I always appreciate simplicity in a suit. I think the trousers are good- distinctive and elegant.

Got some beautiful All Saints suede Chelsea boots off Vinted for £20, but they don't fit; I've got quite wide feet. Probably can sell them on easily though.

It's the good Italian shit pal baddabing

Dig the minimalist street-style vibe with All Saints but I think it's maybe a liiiiiiiiitle bit too minimal for myself but looks great on those who style it well. Sorry about your boots! There's a lot of them floating about on Ebay.

Ray Travez

I don't mind too much; I was sated just by the act of buying them. It was always a gamble; I know I can sell them on at some kind of profit. Got some simple black chelsea boots at the same time, which are just fine.

GoblinAhFuckScary

I recognise people probably view this as entirely superficial, but I have recently acquired two full Max Mara skirt suits of the ebays. I am SO excited to have some proper genuine Italian made suits I feel like such a fancy bitch I feel POWERFUL. My ebay game has become so strong. I just snagged a Vivienne Westwood choker which makes me look well glam.

I know I seem poncy for caring about designer fashion but when it's good it's good.

Paul Calf

GoblinAhFuckScary

Buelligan

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 13, 2021, 03:00:17 PM
I recognise people probably view this as entirely superficial, but I have recently acquired two full Max Mara skirt suits of the ebays. I am SO excited to have some proper genuine Italian made suits I feel like such a fancy bitch I feel POWERFUL. My ebay game has become so strong. I just snagged a Vivienne Westwood choker which makes me look well glam.

I know I seem poncy for caring about designer fashion but when it's good it's good.

I don't think so at all.  I love Max Mara stuff - have an absolutely devine soft tweedy jacket, cut like an angel cut it, hangs like a goddess's in it, got it off the second hand and it makes me feel great whenever I put it on.  We have Emmaus here, a bit like Oxfam but much better[nb]cheaper, stranger[/nb], can't get there any more as I don't have transport but when I did, I used to get the most lovely things and, as I don't give a fuck about what anybody thinks - clothes-wise, whatever beautiful thing I found came home and was loved and used.  Got a classic Inès de La Fressange black cashmere jumper in perfect condition for forty centimes there a couple of years ago.  A wonderful green and blue painted silk 1920s dress for a couple of euro, gave that to a friend because she was jealous (I slightly regret that now).  A pair of brown cord 1930s trousers with the high waist, pleated front and buttons for braces that fit me like they were made for me.  Heheh.  The joy and pain of clothing. 

An tSaoi

I know an army surplus jacket going cheap. Is that something a normal person can wear, or will I end up looking like Travis Bickle, or Paddy Considine in Dead Man's Shoes?

Buelligan

I think it would be nice to look like that sometimes.

IsavedLatin

Quote from: Buelligan on April 13, 2021, 04:14:00 PM
I don't think so at all.  I love Max Mara stuff - have an absolutely devine soft tweedy jacket, cut like an angel cut it, hangs like a goddess's in it, got it off the second hand and it makes me feel great whenever I put it on.  We have Emmaus here, a bit like Oxfam but much better[nb]cheaper, stranger[/nb], can't get there any more as I don't have transport but when I did, I used to get the most lovely things and, as I don't give a fuck about what anybody thinks - clothes-wise, whatever beautiful thing I found came home and was loved and used.  Got a classic Inès de La Fressange black cashmere jumper in perfect condition for forty centimes there a couple of years ago.  A wonderful green and blue painted silk 1920s dress for a couple of euro, gave that to a friend because she was jealous (I slightly regret that now).  A pair of brown cord 1930s trousers with the high waist, pleated front and buttons for braces that fit me like they were made for me.  Heheh.  The joy and pain of clothing.

FORTY CENTIMES!!!!

chveik

bought a loden coat on ebay for fuck all a few years ago. lovely stuff

Buelligan

Attila

We've been wending out way through the original All Creatures Great & Small series, and I have always loved the many, many Fair Isle tanks tops Tristan (and others wear). I swear in the early series he goes through at least three different ones per episode.

I knit, but I'm lazy when it comes to bigger things like jumpers -- but true vintage 1930s and 40s tank tops are really expensive (if you want something that isn't moth eaten). So I bit the bullet and knitted a small Fair Isle for the cat to practice knitting with steeks and all that. It came out pretty well for a practice sampler, so now I'm knitting on a full-sized adult version for myself. Just random patterns based off colours from photos I took in the Roman forum a couple of autumns ago. Miles to go, though, as I've finally got through the endless ribbing and have finally moved into the coloured pattern sections.

I'm seriously missing hitting up my favourite second hand and vintage shops in London...I have no idea if they've survived the lockdown/close downs over the past year (especially as the one seriously depends on people selling their stuff to them.)

Video Game Fan 2000

Starstruck when Haino walked back and forth in front of us at a festival one time. He was looking for a chair.

Blue Jam

Watching that episode of Curb Your Enthiusiasm where someone at the bowling alley walks off with Larry David's Campers and he tries to source a replacement pair reminded me that I've got my eye on a couple of pairs myself, waiting for the price to come down a bit first. Also weighing up whether I really need another pair of smart boots as I doubt I'll need them for any meetings or presentations or job interviews anytime soon. Sorely tempted though:

https://www.camper.com/en_GB/women/shoes/meda/camper-meda-K400455-001

Read this a while back and noted Larry David also likes Theory and Ecco. Got a couple of lovely jackets by Theory and some silver Ecco trainers from TK Maxx and panicked that I'm starting to dress like Larry David. I'm not sure that's a good thing even if he is a style icon:

https://www.gq.com/story/larry-david-cover-profile-february-2020

Ferris

Remembered my old pair of Campers from yonks ago, they now appear to be $250 a pair?!

Even my beloved Feiyue has been bought and now churns out sneakers that cost loads of money rather than the cheap and cheerful ones I wore exclusively for about 4 years.

Days are gone.

Buelligan

Quote from: Attila on April 15, 2021, 12:56:48 PM
We've been wending out way through the original All Creatures Great & Small series, and I have always loved the many, many Fair Isle tanks tops Tristan (and others wear). I swear in the early series he goes through at least three different ones per episode.

I knit, but I'm lazy when it comes to bigger things like jumpers -- but true vintage 1930s and 40s tank tops are really expensive (if you want something that isn't moth eaten). So I bit the bullet and knitted a small Fair Isle for the cat to practice knitting with steeks and all that. It came out pretty well for a practice sampler, so now I'm knitting on a full-sized adult version for myself. Just random patterns based off colours from photos I took in the Roman forum a couple of autumns ago. Miles to go, though, as I've finally got through the endless ribbing and have finally moved into the coloured pattern sections.

I'm seriously missing hitting up my favourite second hand and vintage shops in London...I have no idea if they've survived the lockdown/close downs over the past year (especially as the one seriously depends on people selling their stuff to them.)

Our interests are uncannily paired, Attila.  It's almost disturbing.  I too have a thing for those tank tops and fair isle in general.  I have one, which is lovely but I never wear it, I keep it with my other cloths of heaven, where I can see it and it can empower me should I need empowerment. 

I have some enormous baskets of lovely wool, some left by my grandmother, some from Emmaus and vide greniers and when I have more green and time, I too will be knitting up a bit of fair isle for myself.  Mine will probably be rubbish, unlike yours, because I am not an habitual knitter.  Still, it will be a pleasure to me.  Can you do a photo when yours is done?  I would love to see it.