Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I got a men's Lambretta zip-up cardigan, good as new and very cosy, and a scarf with a watermelon print on it. Also a sheet of periodic table fridge magnets, which I was dead chuffed with.

I really must have a look round the ones in Bruntsfield when I get the chance. That's where all the posh stuff ends up.

Oz Oz Alice

I found this nice paisley shirt in a charity shop recently, here I am wearing it while showing my bandmate a phone cover that was in my jacket pocket for reasons unknown.

Blue Jam

I was wondering how you managed to take a selfie with no phone in that cover.

Love the shirt!

The Mollusk

Yeah that is a banging shirt!

Recently I've been gradually cutting as much animal-based materials out of my wardrobe as possible. I've not managed it with the shoes in this photo yet as I've not been able to find an affordable and smart shoe which also has the comfort of trainers for my job (which is walking 5-10 miles a day inspecting properties across the city), but I'm working on it.

Anyway my favourite purchase has been the belt, which is made from a recycled fire hose (the person who makes them is on Etsy and I'm happy to recommend her if anyone's interested, her service was fantastic). I've had a black leather belt for as long as I can remember and I've only just come to the obvious realisation that a colourful item on the middle of the body can really tie an outfit together. As well as the muted tones I'm wearing here (these are my work garms) it also looks ace with a white t-shirt and my fave mustard yellow straight leg trousers.

Also just wanted to share the photo as I used to dress like absolute shite, but in the last ten years I've gradually refined it and am really happy with how I look nowadays!

An tSaoi

Very Doctor Who. In a good way.

The Mollusk

I HATE Doctor Who!

*bin*

bgmnts

Love everyone making a real effor and i've been in joggers and ill fitting tshirts for over a year.

Dont think I want that to change ever.

Blue Jam

You look dead cool, Mollusk!

The recycled belt seems a good way to go (and it looks smart). Cutting out animal products seems like a good ethical choice but a lot of the alternatives, like faux fur and polyurethane "leather", are plastics made with petrochemicals and they're non-biodegradable. Leather and sheepskin are by-products of the meat and milk industries and are biodegradable, and Merino wool (for example) does a better job than its synthetic equivalents, but I can understand why someone who avoids meat and milk wouldn't want those materials against their skin. It's easy to overthink these things but recycling is a nice compromise. Along with getting things from charity shops.

My favourite leggings for running are the Nike "Legend Pant", made out of recycled bottles, but is buying anything from Nike really ethical? Arrrgggh.

I've also just got a "neck buff" as modelled by Dennis from It's Always Sunny here. Made from two plastic bottles. I got it on the orders of my asthma nurse who said I should try ans keep my neck warm while running. Sexy. Also works as a Covid facemask which is a lot lighter and more breathable than the ones with ear loops, which is something I wish I'd known 13 months ago.

Also got some trainers from Camper while they had a sale on. Recycled soles which are very light:

I'm not a veggie but I live in trainers so I don't buy much leather anyway. Might get those Camper boots if the price comes down below £120 though.

Oz Oz Alice

Seconding that Mollusk is looking pretty cool there, big fan of the belt and the coat too! When possible we should have a "long coats of C&B" meet where we all look like a mid 80s Glasgow indie band.

imitationleather

Yes, Mollusk looks gorgeous in that pic.

gmoney

Looking swag as fuck Mollusk. I'd definitely be interested in finding out the Esty shop you got the belt from.

seepage

Top shirt button done up but no tie though.

Quote from: seepage on May 09, 2021, 01:57:14 PM
Top shirt button done up but no tie though.

Tie with button down shirt is always wrong.
Love the earth tone colour pallette and matching sock/shirt combo

Blue Jam

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on May 09, 2021, 01:35:32 PM
Seconding that Mollusk is looking pretty cool there, big fan of the belt and the coat too! When possible we should have a "long coats of C&B" meet where we all look like a mid 80s Glasgow indie band.

I've got a badass longcoat with a cape. Think the proper term is "caped greatcoat". Got it for £50 from a vintage place. Will try and post a pic once I've repaired the hem and lost a bit of lockdown weight.

An tSaoi

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 09, 2021, 12:41:29 PM
I've not been able to find an affordable and smart shoe which also has the comfort of trainers for my job

There's a site called Vegetarian Shoes (they're actually vegan but too lazy to rebrand) which does formal and casual shoes. Can be a bit dear though.

I got steel-toed boots for work off them and they're quite good. Well, that was before Brexit made the customs charges too high. THANKS ENGLISH

Janie Jones

Quote from: flotemysost on May 09, 2021, 10:43:36 AM
Has anyone else been going a bit wild in the charity shops now that they've reopened? I suppose lots of them will have a glut of stock after being closed for so long, there are some absolute corkers

Aww man. I'm like Templeton the rat in Charlotte's Web after he's sneaked into the pig's crate and gone to the fairground and feasted on trodden-on junk food until he can't move. Such riches. Why don't more people who like interesting clothes go to the chazzas? I'm posting stuff to people who live in the same town as the shop where I bought for £1 the jacket they've just bought for £18.

GoblinAhFuckScary

lookin fab mollusk and oz xx

i'll throw my hat into the big coat ring with a picture of me skulking about the cemetery. you can't see my face and that's a good thing

i'll try and take a picture of something i'm actually wearing today

Blue Jam

Nice look, Goblin!

I've always been a bit envious of those women who can pull off the floaty dress/Doc Martens look. People either really suit Doc Martens or look ridiculous in them and despite not being very girly I'm definitely in the latter catergory.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

^ Looks like a Norwegian black metal album cover.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 09, 2021, 03:14:49 PM
Nice look, Goblin!

I've always been a bit envious of those women who can pull off the floaty dress/Doc Martens look. People either really suit Doc Martens or look ridiculous in them and despite not being very girly I'm definitely in the latter catergory.

Agree, dress and boots is a huge vibe. You look swag Goblin.

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 09, 2021, 02:01:20 PM
Tie with button down shirt is always wrong.

Yeah absolutely. Also, a tie with a dark shirt? I'm not in Green Day so no thanks!

Thanks everyone for the lovely compliments! Huge confidence boost for me! Here's how I look when I'm off down the shops to grab some parsnips for a roast dinner:

Blue Jam

Dayyyum, you've even got a stylish home! Love the soviet print!

And the outfit of course! I imagine it's tough to wear mustard yellow trousers without looking like a Rah and/or Nigel Farage but you've nailed it! Nice contrast with the blue/green of the jacket especially. Think you've got contrasting colours but in the same tone so it works.

The Mollusk

Thanks!! The jacket is my favourite as well, big puffy green denim Carhartt thing I got from a second hand place in Brighton. Yellow is my favourite colour, once I suddenly realised that a couple years ago I started really thinking about colours of decor and clothing and whatnot a lot more. I think if you can match colour (or lack of it) nicely then you can basically take over the world.

Our home is indeed lovely, owed in equal part to my fiancée and her obsession with plants, but I'm pleased to say the "Solaris" poster print was my addition. We had nothing but a bed when we moved in together but over lockdown we've accumulated so much stuff and I'm so proud of how we've styled it out together!

chveik

TrenterPercenter

Mollusk I'd just like to echo Blue Jam's comment on being able to pull off the mustard jeans that is some serious fashion skills!  What also caught my eye was the lovely brown leather belt you were sporting in the pic; this is the way forward I feel.

The Mollusk

It's a red belt and it's made from a fire hose! I explained this!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why have you blacked out the pictures of Ron & Ann?

Mr_Simnock

Whens your breakfast cereal bar opening?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 09, 2021, 06:46:30 PM
Why have you blacked out the pictures of Ron & Ann?

That wasn't intentional. My semen is actually a thick, black tar-like substance and I've long since given up trying to scrape it off any particularly arousing imagery or items around the house. The noise rock section of my CD collection is entirely impenetrable now, it looks like some sort of fucking evil cocoon from a Giger painting.

Ferris

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 09, 2021, 06:43:22 PM
It's a red belt and it's made from a fire hose! I explained this!

Hey dude, they're ragging on your cord fire hose.