Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Hose before bros.

edit: new page squirt

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 09, 2021, 03:32:43 PM
Also, a tie with a dark shirt? I'm not in Green Day so no thanks!

Yes, not many people can carry that look off.

(And as you can see, I'm not one of them).

seepage

To be clearer: your top shirt button should only be done up if you are wearing a tie.

Oz Oz Alice

Or if you're David Lynch, or in the Jesus and Mary Chain.

Dex Sawash

Or if all the ones below it are undone

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on May 09, 2021, 09:19:17 PM
Or if you're David Lynch, or in the Jesus and Mary Chain.

Or if you're Matthew Horne.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 09, 2021, 12:41:29 PM

"I'm a future detective, sent back to solve crimes of the past, with my knowledge of the future".

seepage

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 09, 2021, 09:31:56 PM
Or if all the ones below it are undone

yeah, OK, that works

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 09, 2021, 12:41:29 PM
Recently I've been gradually cutting as much animal-based materials out of my wardrobe as possible.

Where do you (or anyone else) stand on second-hand non-vegan materials? I'm very aware of the cruelty involved in the initial production of leather, suede and fur and I wouldn't buy it new, but if you're buying it from a charity shop then I suppose you're not contributing directly to the deed, as it were (in fact hopefully the money's going to a good cause).

I also find it does tend to last longer, is often more weatherproof and just looks better, if treated properly (I'm big on getting clothes altered/repaired where possible). I've had countless cheap handbags from Topshop and the like that become all frayed and peeling after a year or two, then I've got a real leather jobbie from Oxfam that I've had for donkey's (and was probably someone else's for donkey's before that). So hopefully in the long run it's less wasteful (although of course vegan products can be eco-friendly too, and there are plenty better places than Topshop to get hardwearing clothing obviously!).

Of course if anyone just finds it distasteful to wear a dead thing's skin (and be seen to promote doing so) then that's totally understandable, in the same way that many are put off the idea of just eating a dead creature's flesh as much as the actual inhumanity involved.

Fab outfit anyway, I'm a big fan of forest greens and earthy browns.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 09, 2021, 03:09:10 PM

Love this outfit and photo too!

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 09, 2021, 03:14:49 PM
I've always been a bit envious of those women who can pull off the floaty dress/Doc Martens look. People either really suit Doc Martens or look ridiculous in them and despite not being very girly I'm definitely in the latter catergory.

Same, I find they're not always that flattering as they sort of "cut you off" above the most slender part of the ankle (on me anyway - I'm pretty short, and with dresses I think they can make me look a bit dumpy and stompy. Still wear them a lot though).

holyzombiejesus

The Mollusk should post that picture of him in a pink suit (?) that he wore to a bar once.

The Mollusk

Quote from: flotemysost on May 09, 2021, 09:41:16 PM
Where do you (or anyone else) stand on second-hand non-vegan materials? I'm very aware of the cruelty involved in the initial production of leather, suede and fur and I wouldn't buy it new, but if you're buying it from a charity shop then I suppose you're not contributing directly to the deed, as it were (in fact hopefully the money's going to a good cause).

I also find it does tend to last longer, is often more weatherproof and just looks better, if treated properly (I'm big on getting clothes altered/repaired where possible). I've had countless cheap handbags from Topshop and the like that become all frayed and peeling after a year or two, then I've got a real leather jobbie from Oxfam that I've had for donkey's (and was probably someone else's for donkey's before that). So hopefully in the long run it's less wasteful (although of course vegan products can be eco-friendly too, and there are plenty better places than Topshop to get hardwearing clothing obviously!).

Of course if anyone just finds it distasteful to wear a dead thing's skin (and be seen to promote doing so) then that's totally understandable, in the same way that many are put off the idea of just eating a dead creature's flesh as much as the actual inhumanity involved.

It's a weird one, sort of equivalent to how I feel about wearing faux leather, in that I don't really like to appear to be normalising it in any way. Faux leather is intended to look like the product of a dead animal which to me doesn't really signify the progress I'd like to see in the world. But I do have a vegan friend who's been meat-free for far longer than me and he doesn't have a problem buying second hand leather boots whatsoever. As with other people's dietary choices, this doesn't bother me at all, since everyone's moral compass is different. I'm still a stretch from achieving the all-or-nothing lifestyle which would personally make me happier about my contribution to the state of the world but I like to think it's not far away!

The Mollusk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 09, 2021, 09:47:41 PM
The Mollusk should post that picture of him in a pink suit (?) that he wore to a bar once.

It was a pink shirt and white trousers, and I had a moustache which everyone but my fiancée was very fond of. I'll try and dig it out if I remember this week, it was a strong look if only for one night.

bgmnts

I mean if faux leather and sheese and stuff stops people consuming the real thing I'm for it.

Anyway, I like green and brown as a colour combo, it reminds me of turtles and i fucking love turtles.

flotemysost

Quote from: bgmnts on May 09, 2021, 11:08:06 PM
I mean if faux leather and sheese and stuff stops people consuming the real thing I'm for it.

I guess my concern with faux leather, faux fur etc. is that a lot of it is plasticky stuff that was probably made in sweat shops and will likely take aeons to biodegrade, so in a way it feels greener to buy something that already exists, even if it did originally involve cruelty, you're not contributing to that financially. Of course you can buy the fake stuff second-hand too (and on the flipside, of course lots of fast fashion items will contain leather, suede etc. as well), but if it was a choice of "old real leather" or "new fake leather" then I'd probably go for the former. Completely appreciate why people find the whole look distasteful overall though.

Certainly lots of retailers like ASOS, Boohoo etc. had big campaigns a couple of years ago touting the fact that they sell fake fur (even though they most definitely also sell leather items too), which felt a bit like... whatever the animal cruelty version of greenwashing is.

Diet is a whole other matter IMHO - I don't think there's any question that a meat-free diet is more humane and better for the environment than otherwise (I only used the comparison about eating meat as another example of something which some people might give up because the idea of it makes them feel physically squeamish about/distasteful, as well as ethically irresponsible - e.g. when I first became a vegetarian I just really didn't like the idea of chewing up bit of dead bodies, as well as the whole cruelty/environmental aspect. So I can see why someone would feel the same about wearing dead things' pelts).

Blue Jam

Wearing my neck Buff™ as a Covid mask at werk today. Also wearing a smart new shert which I've got buttoned up all the way because it's got a fancy top button which looks wrong wornopen. The Buff™ kind of looks like a cravat. Think I'm gonna get a few more, be a right dapper plague gent.

Think I'm just a frustrated GQ Man.

Cuellar

Now, what differentiates a Buff from say a snood?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on May 14, 2021, 03:41:56 PM
Now, what differentiates a Buff from say a snood?

The trademarked name... a Buff™ is just a performance snood I guess, or perhaps a tactical snood. I got mine for running to keep my neck warm in cold weather because this apparently prevents asthma attacks. Anyway, they're made of breathable, moisture-wicking fabric so if you try wearing them as a mask they won't get damp, and they feel a lot lighter than the regular Covid masks, and you can wear one round your neck and just pull it up every time you enter a shop, which is much more convenient than faffing around getting one out of your pocket and inevitably losing it after a few weeks. I can't do exercise in a regular mask and still be able to breath so the Buff™ has been a godsend. They also block UV light for running in the summer- you can wear them as a head covering or a headband too. I might get a couple more for running and cycling and I might go for the most dapper patterns.

Saw this on the Adidas website- a three-stripe headscarf. Think it'd be cutural appropriation if I wore this but it looks badass:

https://www.adidas.co.uk/head-scarf/GN8254.html

Cuellar

Right, that does sound more convenient than a mask tbh. I should have thought about this in the winter months really, don't want to get a hot neck now.

Blue Jam

I'm currently wearing my Buff™ indoors and it isn't hot at all, it's made of the same kind of stuff moisture-wicking gym gear is made from, but very thin. When I'm running in cold weather I find it makes everything feel less draughty and warms the air up a bit as I breathe in, they material is not stiflingly warm. The merino wool ones look proper snug though, might get one of those for winter.

They're not cheap, but they're also not as easy to lose as regular masks so it balances out.

Just realised they're not really like a cravat, more the the neckerchiefs in Red Dead Redemption 2 that you pull up over your face when you're about to rob a bank. Hehehe I feel a bit badass now.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They're bandanas, the things in RDR, no? Fold it over so it's a triangle, tie it around your head, pull over your face when you want to rob a bank.

Blue Jam

Yes they are, but the Buff™ looks like a bandana when you pull it up out of Snood Mode.

seepage

Those Buff™ things are great.

Icehaven

Never heard of Buff but I've got several similar things to keep the flies out of my mouth when I'm pillion on Mr. Haven's bike. I started using them instead of masks for a bit last year but found the elastic started to go if I used them every day so then they'd just slip down constantly, but that might be because they're probably cheap versions. If these Buff ones have better elastic I might get a few.

Blue Jam

The generic term is "neck gaiter" and there are plenty which don't have elastic, the fabric is just stretchy. When I went out Buff™ shopping I saw that Other Neck Gaiters Are Available: Mountain Warehouse do them for about a tenner (though the quality doesn't look great) and I saw some in some posh independent outdoorsy shop which were made of very light merino wool but cost about £35 which is just mad.

I might get one for winter because breathing in cold air triggers my asthma but yer traditional covid masks aren't breathable enough for me to wear during exercise.

Dex Sawash

Can just cut yourself a buff out of the leg of an old pair of leggings/tights

Blue Jam

Or just keep the tights intact and you can rob a bank.

GoblinAhFuckScary

nvm lol

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 14, 2021, 03:40:59 PM
Wearing my neck Buff™ as a Covid mask at werk today. Also wearing a smart new shert which I've got buttoned up all the way because it's got a fancy top button which looks wrong wornopen.

I broke out a smart black and white chequered shirt I got from LostStock during Covid for my first day back. When it arrived I was quite pleased with it but what I didn't notice in the cellophane it came in is that the stitching between the black and white squares are all silver and glisten when the lights hit them, bit too flash.

flotemysost

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 08, 2021, 08:31:05 PM
vivienne westwood sale for all youse fancy binches out there. nabbed one of these

Nice one! I would so wear that as well (would make an exception to my current vetting process of does it have pockets I can put my mask in -> no -> BIN).

How do you hear about these sales? I've never bought any designer stuff new, got a few good quality bits I've magpied from charity shops though.

GoblinAhFuckScary

ACTUALLY i've made a big fool of myself and got sent a dodgy website which is very disappointing :((

lol at me