Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Bought a pair of black pleather jeans yesterday, I like them a lot but phone won't fit in front pocket, wallet barely fits in back so going back to store today. Not going to carry some sort of tote for my stuff.
Look great with my DMs though.

Buelligan

Couldn't you stretch to a fanny pack?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Or a fanny magnet. The phone will stick to it.

flotemysost

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 08, 2021, 08:48:33 PM
ACTUALLY i've made a big fool of myself and got sent a dodgy website which is very disappointing :((

lol at me

Ah I'm sorry, that's proper shite (and I'm sorry for quoting you, I can ask for it to be removed if it's a bother).

OT but if it makes you feel better, I got a text during the winter lockdown (when text scams were rife - a fact already well documented in the news at the time) stating that a new payee had been set up from my Natwest account which I needed to verify. I'd just moved flat and had recently set up lots of new bills for council tax etc. and so I started panicking that they wouldn't go through, and was literally hovering over the number when I remembered I DON'T EVEN BANK WITH NATWEST. So most definitely don't feel like an idiot.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 09, 2021, 11:53:51 AM
Bought a pair of black pleather jeans yesterday, I like them a lot but phone won't fit in front pocket, wallet barely fits in back so going back to store today. Not going to carry some sort of tote for my stuff.
Look great with my DMs though.

*inserts generic rant about how contemporary dresses and skirts etc. hardly ever have pockets, or sometimes they're stupid fake ones just to add insult to injury, meaning tote is a way of life for some. I mean I normally carry some sort of handbag anyway for essential stuff but pockets are just useful*

The jeans do sound nice though. I sacked off "skinny" fit jeans over lockdown in favour of high-waisted wide-leg ones, but now that DM season is approaching I just can't think of another cut that will fit with them as nicely.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: flotemysost on September 09, 2021, 05:55:10 PM
Ah I'm sorry, that's proper shite (and I'm sorry for quoting you, I can ask for it to be removed if it's a bother).

OT but if it makes you feel better, I got a text during the winter lockdown (when text scams were rife - a fact already well documented in the news at the time) stating that a new payee had been set up from my Natwest account which I needed to verify. I'd just moved flat and had recently set up lots of new bills for council tax etc. and so I started panicking that they wouldn't go through, and was literally hovering over the number when I remembered I DON'T EVEN BANK WITH NATWEST. So most definitely don't feel like an idiot.

thank you flotes! i did feel a bit embarrassed so that makes me feel a bit better lol

i did my first bit of charity shopping in months today and managed to get a lovely navy Hobbs skirt and a black Toast top (dress?) for under 12 quid altogether so that sort of makes up for yesterday's brain rot

Jockice

I'm going to wear my old Levi's denim jacket today. This will be the first time for nine years. I know it's that long because it has travel documents from 2012 in one of the inside pockets. I've had it since the late 80s. I also have another much darker Levi's denim jacket (purchased circa 1998), a yellow Levi's corduroy one (1992ish) and a Wrangler denim jacket (swapped for a book about cacti with Lee Naylor circa 1984. Not the former footballer Lee Naylor though. Another Lee Naylor.)

That's one good thing about rarely throwing clothes out. You can rediscover them years later. Although my first (very faded) Levi's denim and my black one seem to have gone to the big charity shop in the sky at some point.

GoblinAhFuckScary

oh i think i have actually won a viv westwood dress on ebay now!!! well chuffed

Attila

My plan to survive this utterly shit semester/academic year is simply to take whatever comes next in my closet and sort that out as that day's outfit. Do'nt care if it's an every day thing, party dress, vintage. It keeps me entertained, and it makes for sorting out clothes in the morning a billion times easier when you're 'stuck' with whatever is next.

Only exceptions are vintage things too fragile to wear for a 6+ hour teaching day plus commute (I have 7 modules this semester to contend with) or when it's frosty outside the the next dress along is something more appropriate for a hot summer's day.

I'm finding stuff I'd forgot that I had!

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Attila on November 07, 2021, 09:08:59 AM
My plan to survive this utterly shit semester/academic year is simply to take whatever comes next in my closet and sort that out as that day's outfit. Do'nt care if it's an every day thing, party dress, vintage. It keeps me entertained, and it makes for sorting out clothes in the morning a billion times easier when you're 'stuck' with whatever is next.

Only exceptions are vintage things too fragile to wear for a 6+ hour teaching day plus commute (I have 7 modules this semester to contend with) or when it's frosty outside the the next dress along is something more appropriate for a hot summer's day.

I'm finding stuff I'd forgot that I had!

this is fun! i'm trying to get to a place where i've removed all the duds from my wardrobe so everything i love and won't mind throwing on no matter how appropriate for occasion

GoblinAhFuckScary

burberry and marimekko dresses snagged for under 20 quid each on the ebays. i've cum

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 07, 2021, 06:59:22 PM
burberry and marimekko dresses snagged for under 20 quid each on the ebays. i've cum

I went into the marimekko store in Helsinki..my eyes went funny after a while, too many dots. Even the napkins and cups on Finnair flights are marimekko print,  those fuckers are mad for marimekko.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 08, 2021, 10:08:56 AM
I went into the marimekko store in Helsinki..my eyes went funny after a while, too many dots. Even the napkins and cups on Finnair flights are marimekko print,  those fuckers are mad for marimekko.

I once saw this on the tarmac at Helsinki airport:

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 08, 2021, 10:23:35 AM
I once saw this on the tarmac at Helsinki airport:

I rest my case.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i got two of the marimekko flannel dresses they were doing earlier in the year and i realise now they work best as pyjamas!

i'll stop posting about things i buy now but i did just get a fucking great black allsaints slip from the chazzas. first time i've had a job in two years and i'm going ham

Fr.Bigley

Can't knock a chazza find, found a literally Perfect fit suit at the BHF one afternoon in ilkley. Paul Smith, current styling, exact proportions. 25 quid. RRP...around a grand.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 08, 2021, 12:19:23 PM
Can't knock a chazza find, found a literally Perfect fit suit at the BHF one afternoon in ilkley. Paul Smith, current styling, exact proportions. 25 quid. RRP...around a grand.

mental. do you have a pic?

bgmnts

I've literally worn barely fitting jogging bottoms and plain t shirts for I think three weeks straight and I really don't want to go back to anything else, it's bliss.

I did buy a knitted jumper from Natalie because it was 12 pounds with a 25% discount though, so if that fits it'll help with the intense cold that's hit us recently.

Fr.Bigley

The Mollusk

My best recent charity shop find was in a little market town in Hertfordshire. A 1990 tour jumper (no, not a shirt, not a hoodie, a jumper) for German oldschool death metal band Morgoth. It's got big baggy balloon sleeves and the Germany tour dates are printed on the back. I fucking love it, currently wearing it pretty much every day. It seems like one of those vintage merch items you'd see going for stupid amounts of money on Depop.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

So what's your favourite Morgoth song then?

GoblinAhFuckScary

that's so cool mollusk! my pal gave me a throbbing gristle shirt lately and i get neurotic that someone will see it and think it looks fashy

https://direct.asda.com/george/men/nightwear-slippers/dark-grey-fleece-loungewear-hoodie/GEM863870,default,pd.html

Loungewear, my arse. I'm rocking the muppet look this autumn/winter.
It's too warm if anything, and it feels lush!

chveik

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 08, 2021, 02:29:59 PM
that's so cool mollusk! my pal gave me a throbbing gristle shirt lately and i get neurotic that someone will see it and think it looks fashy

is this one where the logo looks vaguely like a swastika from a distance? best band in the world but some dodgy aesthical choices

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: chveik on November 08, 2021, 03:17:25 PM
is this one where the logo looks vaguely like a swastika from a distance? best band in the world but some dodgy aesthical choices

it's similar to this but black. not as bad as it could be but it's still pretty fashy looking... very BUF :/

The Mollusk

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 08, 2021, 02:24:25 PM
So what's your favourite Morgoth song then?

Listen sometimes you gotta buy the merch and get into the band afterwards. You don't just pass up on bargain opportunities like this.

Anyway I listened to their album "Cursed" and it's very competent OSDM but it's not like I'll ever go out of my way to listen to them again lol

Attila

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 07, 2021, 06:59:22 PM

Whenever I score like this on eBay or in a charity shop, I feel like doing the Snoopy victory dance.

Dex Sawash

No tour stop for South Wörrisshofen then?

Spoiler alert
One for the CaBbers who remember the  bad korea filter
[close]

Blue Jam

Need to buy a suit. Got a couple of job interviews coming up and realised I haven't bought any formal clothes for two years and have chucked a lot of my old stuff out. Got no idea where to get one now everywhere's gone bust though. Is Next decent these days? M&S seem to do pretty nice men's suits but their women's stuff always seems to be poorly-made. H&M's look smart on the website but they would look good on the models wouldn't they? I just don't want to spend a small fortune when I don't wear suits for work. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Just found out Edinburgh now has a branch of Mango inside The Golden Jobbie, might head there.

Cuellar

I've had men's H&M suits in the past and I thought they were good and they were well received. I think I went for any of the cotton ones I could find (or the non-synthetic ones anyway).

Heid The Baw

Hi Blue Jam. You could try Ralph Slaters. 100 George Street, Edinburgh. Always worked for me when I was a suit person.