Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on December 01, 2020, 02:20:52 PM
Used to have to go to meetings in Guildford and would pop into Muji - hardly anything in there but what they have is good. Apart from the shirts with no collars - I hate them.

Muji have bigger clothing sections in Japan and I used to get some nice tops and warm jumpers there.

They also do the legendary martial arts gi-style pyjamas which look smart and minimalist and are supposed to be amazingly comfortable. On my first visit to a Tokyo Muji I immediately sought out a pair... only to find that even in size XL the arms and legs were still too short for my Westerner's frame. The first time in my life I've been taller than most people around me and it was actually a pain in the arse.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 01, 2020, 02:01:10 PM
Yeah, but your then helping out the needy, and they're a shower of bastards.

Exactly, I help them out to prolong their suffering.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bought my first leather jacket recently. I think it's part of some impending mid life crisis thing. It's one of the biker ones too, like I'm Marlon Brando or something.

Buelligan

Marlon Brando, the drunk old mad man who's dead?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Yep, that's the look I'm going for.

Pijlstaart

I never go clothes shopping, I just get given things. Step-brother gave me his old clubbing gear back in '05 after they got ripped up by ruff customers, lot of raggedy stained buttonups and it all looks great, much too big but I'm still a growing boy.

My students all went into lockdown in those houndstooth/check/herringbone-print trousers and uniformly came out of lockdown in peak 90s grunge attire, seeing leather trousers around too, not long before frosted tips are back in fashion.

Buelligan

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 01, 2020, 03:05:50 PM
Yep, that's the look I'm going for.

Of course you are, you're a CABperson.  Although, you could probably achieve it without the expense and unspeakable animal cruelty of a leather jacket.  In the inimitable words of the sainted Kurt, come as you are. 

GoblinAhFuckScary

Don't think me terribly boujie, but it was my birthday a few days ago and I got this from Toast.

Actually the first new thing I've got in years. Usually I'm a charity gal which is really the best way to go. Especially if you loiter round charities in Bethnal Green where the real boujies dump quasi-designer stuff

Blue Jam

Ah, Toast are nice. Pricey, but that's what the John Lewis sales are for.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 01, 2020, 03:16:32 PM
Ah, Toast are nice. Pricey, but that's what the John Lewis sales are for.

This is gonna sound like I work for Toast but there's a sale on rn

shiftwork2

Worn the same sort of clothes since I was about four.  Hair hasn't changed much either.  Look boss on it.

dissolute ocelot

Uniqlo are cunts who insist in putting animal products in everything they can. "All our jackets are stuffed with geese!"

I strongly suspect that everything is made in the same factory anyhow.

ASOS own brand can be variable quality - the shoes are shit - but they have some decent cheap brands like Jack&Jones. There's an endless supply of cheap brands (all made in the same factory), you just need to find what you like and send back the rest. But I'm always disappointed when I find that the likes of Nike and Levis clothing are good quality because I do want them to be overpriced shit.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Also chat of Uniqlo on the last page. Anyone snag any of the Marimekko collab? Oh my godddddd i got this (off ebay) and it's it's it's

edit: poor timing typing this up re: ocelot's post

Inspector Norse

Get all my clothes from the Sports Direct sale

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 01, 2020, 03:39:43 PM
Also chat of Uniqlo on the last page. Anyone snag any of the Marimekko collab? Oh my godddddd i got this (off ebay) and it's it's it's

Cor vat is lahhverley

Norton Canes

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 01, 2020, 03:15:36 PM
Don't think me terribly boujie, but it was my birthday a few days ago and I got this from Toast.

Actually the first new thing I've got in years. Usually I'm a charity gal which is really the best way to go. Especially if you loiter round charities in Bethnal Green where the real boujies dump quasi-designer stuff

Nice dress but socks and sandals??!!

GoblinAhFuckScary

Excuuuuuse me that is a far cry from

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 01, 2020, 03:39:43 PM
Anyone snag any of the Marimekko collab?

Was about to order some nice warm flannel pyjamas from Muji but thanks to your post I saw Marimekko designed some some pretty ones for Uniqlo so I bagged those instead:

These ones look a bit more grown-up I reckon. I hate buying pyjamas, so many of them have Winnie the Pooh or Snoopy or Minnie Mouse or whatever on them. Who the fuck designs all these things and thinks that's what grown women want to wear in bed?

Cheers Goblin! Hopefully they'll arrive before the snow does.

Ferris

Uniqlo, Mountain Equipment Co-op, Marks Work Warehouse, indie bands/breweries (tshirts ONLY).

If you live your life in Levi's 511s, blundstone boots (chisel obv), down jackets and tshirts with picture of birds on them, you're laughing. The rest of you are in the shit though.

flotemysost

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 01, 2020, 03:15:36 PM
Usually I'm a charity gal which is really the best way to go. Especially if you loiter round charities in Bethnal Green where the real boujies dump quasi-designer stuff

Likewise. I recently moved back to North London and can't wait to scrounge the cast-offs of people with more money and even less sense than me. Current seasonal favourite is a very warm shearling[nb]I try to only buy leather stuff second hand[/nb] Burberry coat found in the Camden Traid shop last year for £20(!).

Aside from being a cheapskate I've also become more conscious over the past year or two of the enormous environmental and humanitarian impact of so-called "fast fashion" - lots of people tend to associate the term with yer cheaper online retailers like Asos and Boohoo (which are in themselves horrendous for that), but it also applies to the more high-end High Street retailers including some mentioned here, I'm afraid - Uniqlo, & Other Stories and their ilk (both of which I like, and have shopped at in the past).

Lots of garments will actually have been made in the same factories but then are sold at differing price points depending on the retailer, which in some ways makes the pricier ones worse as they're taking a bigger margin while the workers are paid the same piffling amount/have to work under the same shitty conditions.

Quote from: bgmnts on December 01, 2020, 01:59:00 PM
The last place I bought clothes from was Lost Stock, which I'd implore everyone to use.

Aw, glad you had a good experience (hopefully) - when my order eventually arrived none of it was stuff I'd ever wear sadly, but thankfully I was able to pass it on to a couple of mates, happy that the money's going to the factory workers either way.

And that dress is pretty lush, Goblin.

Pranet

Trousers are my problem. I've got short legs. The likes of uniqlo don't want my freakish custom.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pranet on December 01, 2020, 06:28:38 PM
Trousers are my problem. I've got short legs.

Trousers are my problem too. I've got long-ish legs (for my height at least) but cyclist's thighs. Also jeans just don't seem to suit me at all, the regular "jean cut" cuts in at the front and gapes at the back. Think I may just be irregularly shaped.

No wonder leggings/yoga pants are so popular. They just fit no matter what shape you are.

Captain Crunch

I just wear my sad old lady foamy trainers for my bad foot, t-shirts I've had for 20 years and those 'Hula' jeans from charity shops (I never bothered finding out who makes these but they turn up often enough).  If you ever want to dress up like an East German prostitute there's always E5P...

Oooh la la!

BlodwynPig

Congo Toad, Kensington
Jack Flap, Brompton
Curd of Canvey Island

Blue Jam

Geordie Jeans
Deptford Draylons

thenoise

Sainsburys are surprisingly good. The baby wears exclusively Sainsburys and gifts. They are fine for t shirts, basic loungewear, undies, PJs etc. Shoes are worth splashing out for (Clarks) and a few nice outfits from M&S. Yeah, I'm middle aged. I'll be missing Edinburgh Woollen Mill too, proper cosy knitwear.

Ferris

Quote from: Pranet on December 01, 2020, 06:28:38 PM
Trousers are my problem. I've got short legs. The likes of uniqlo don't want my freakish custom.

Uniqlo have an instore hemming service to reduce the length of any trousers (in some branches anyway). It's $5 a pair and ready next day, lovely stuff.

jobotic

Quote from: flotemysost on December 01, 2020, 06:14:23 PM
Likewise. I recently moved back to North London and can't wait to scrounge the cast-offs of people with more money and even less sense than me. Current seasonal favourite is a very warm shearling[nb]I try to only buy leather stuff second hand[/nb] Burberry coat found in the Camden Traid shop last year for £20(!).

Aside from being a cheapskate I've also become more conscious over the past year or two of the enormous environmental and humanitarian impact of so-called "fast fashion" - lots of people tend to associate the term with yer cheaper online retailers like Asos and Boohoo (which are in themselves horrendous for that), but it also applies to the more high-end High Street retailers including some mentioned here, I'm afraid - Uniqlo, & Other Stories and their ilk (both of which I like, and have shopped at in the past).

Lots of garments will actually have been made in the same factories but then are sold at differing price points depending on the retailer, which in some ways makes the pricier ones worse as they're taking a bigger margin while the workers are paid the same piffling amount/have to work under the same shitty conditions.

A couple of years ago I had time to kill at Victoria so I went for a stroll round Pimlico. Tried on a red Prada shirt in a charity shop, was in perfect nick and really nice - £8. Sadly slightly to small. If I'd needed to lose weight I'd have got it but I'd have needed to shrink a bit.

Zara stuff is good, but that's the company that had workers leaving notes in clothes informing shoppers that they hadn't been paid for making them.

I like Reiss shirts too and I have no idea if they are ethical either, but I've only bought clothes by either brand second hand from either charity shops or ebay.

So am I a bad man?

flotemysost

Quote from: jobotic on December 01, 2020, 09:49:33 PM
A couple of years ago I had time to kill at Victoria so I went for a stroll round Pimlico. Tried on a red Prada shirt in a charity shop, was in perfect nick and really nice - £8. Sadly slightly to small. If I'd needed to lose weight I'd have got it but I'd have needed to shrink a bit.

Zara stuff is good, but that's the company that had workers leaving notes in clothes informing shoppers that they hadn't been paid for making them.

I like Reiss shirts too and I have no idea if they are ethical either, but I've only bought clothes by either brand second hand from either charity shops or ebay.

So am I a bad man?

Oh yeah, Pimlico has some gems as well - Retromania and the Terrence Higgins shop in particular are great for vintage designer stuff. (And the latter has free johnnies and lube at the till. Philip Green must be kicking himself for not thinking of that one.)

I think if you're buying stuff second-hand (especially from charity) it's probably fair game, ethically. The aforementioned Burberry coat I've got is something I'd never ever buy new, mainly cause I can't afford it but also they're greedy cunts who regularly set fire to millions of pounds worth of perfectly good stock once it's out of season - so wearing their stuff without them making a penny off it seems pretty sweet, though I can see why someone would object.

Attila

In the times before, I was up in London about every 6 weeks or so, and would hit up second hand shops, including a big fave out in Notting Hill, near the Portobello Rd.

I've not been up there since February, and fear that they've been clobbered by the closures. The big vintage shop I go to for conference clothes (in Covent Garden) is still hanging on, but I have no idea how my other fave shop out in NHG is faring (or not)...