Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Murdoch channel gets go-ahead

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 01, 2020, 06:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteRupert Murdoch's forthcoming opinionated television news channel will be called News UK TV, with media regulator Ofcom giving the go-ahead for the outlet to start broadcasting as soon as it is ready.

News UK TV is racing against the rival Andrew Neil-backed channel GB News to be first on air, with both groups aiming to launch next spring. Despite concerns about the impact of Fox News-style broadcasting, both outlets believe there is a gap in the market for right-leaning television news channels aimed at Britons who dislike the BBC's output.

Although News UK TV's presenting lineup has yet to be announced, staff have been told to expect big-name hires. Previous names linked to the project include The Apprentice host Lord Sugar and Good Morning Britain's Piers Morgan, who has been seen in News UK's London Bridge headquarters, where a studio is being built.

The current plan, according to individuals involved in the station, is for News UK TV to be an evening-only service, which will be on air for around four or five hours a night...

News UK TV, overseen by former Fox News and CBS News boss David Rhodes, is likely to be free-to-air and the company wants it to be primarily delivered online as a streaming service. However, it applied for a full Ofcom broadcast licence, meaning it is likely to also be available as a traditional television channel in some form...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/dec/01/rupert-murdochs-news-uk-tv-channel-given-approval-to-launch

I suspect Morgan may put off News UK TV viewers as he's been very critical of how the government have handled coronavirus and I imagine most potential viewers are either Covid deniers or Tory bootlickers.

I can imagine that horrid little bollock Sugar getting involved.

Pingers

It seems we need some coordination to cause trouble for these two. The stakes are pretty high, given that they pave the way for the UK to become as fully mental as its big brother USA. Persuading advertisers to back off seems a decent bet. In the days of fully unionised workplaces it just wouldn't have been possible, which is why Thatcher took on the miners. Or we could just blow them up I guess (only joking sergeant!)

BlodwynPig

I just don't believe this. How much more right-wing hysteria and goading can this country take?

Name one mainstream left-wing news outlet? Ever.

idunnosomename

News UK TV sounds like a made-up channel for exposition in a film or something

imitationleather

Oh I thought GB News was a Murdoch channel. Who's funding that one then?

Two such similar channels going against each other at the same time seems a bit mad. It's a Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD for the '20s!

Non Stop Dancer

Rupert mate just retire and enjoy your money. Take up photography or something, you could afford a really really nice camera.

Non Stop Dancer

I'll take bets, how long before firearms are legalised in the UK?

Pranet

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on December 01, 2020, 07:24:48 PM
Rupert mate just retire and enjoy your money. Take up photography or something, you could afford a really really nice camera.

Maybe the plan all along was to out live the world.

Jasha

Quote from: imitationleather on December 01, 2020, 07:19:49 PM
Oh I thought GB News was a Murdoch channel. Who's funding that one then?

Two such similar channels going against each other at the same time seems a bit mad. It's a Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD BritishSatelliteBroadcasting vs Sky for the '20s!

petril

got UK as a key part of the name; also still has the TV suffix;

so the name and branding's a complete turn off for a start

Twonty Gostelow

Alberon

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 01, 2020, 06:50:48 PM

Name one mainstream left-wing news outlet? Ever.

The only attempt I can recall was The News On Sunday, the left-wing newspaper that was published for about six months in 1987. Stocked by many newsagents alongside all the regular Sunday rags. I bought it every week. And suddenly it wasn't there anymore.

Consignia

Gove is posssessing Murdoch's stomach to do his propoganda bidding:

DrGreggles

BlodwynPig

daimoniac

oh, so we're getting uk versions of fox news and OAN - i might just get the tv aerial removed altogether.

Jittlebags

Let's not forget, at this difficult time, that Rupert Murdoch, Mick Shagger and Tony Blair (allegedly - at least the dirty digger appears to think that it is the case) are Custard Cousins, either directly, or once removed.

idunnosomename

comparing him to Prof. Hubert Farnsworth is too kind.

arguably also comparing him to Emil from RoboCop is also too kind, but closer to the mark

Bum Flaps

Happily, they are both going to require massive rebranding budgets a few years down the line, after Scottish independence and Irish unification render 'UK' and 'GB' obsolete

Sin Agog

I've heard New Zealanders credit their comparatively sane 'tics to playing whack-a-mole on any emergent Murdoch media the second it attempts to take root there.

BlodwynPig

Fucking hell, it IS Jerry Hall !!! I was making a joke and I just checked. Christ, what an idiot (her, not me).

pigamus

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on December 01, 2020, 09:09:37 PM
The only attempt I can recall was The News On Sunday, the left-wing newspaper that was published for about six months in 1987. Stocked by many newsagents alongside all the regular Sunday rags. I bought it every week. And suddenly it wasn't there anymore.

Yeah there was the series Lefties on BBC4 told the story

Zetetic

Quote from: Bum Flaps on December 02, 2020, 01:17:29 AM
Happily, they are both going to require massive rebranding budgets a few years down the line, after Scottish independence and Irish unification render 'UK' and 'GB' obsolete
Pretty sure that will make their branding all the more relevant to their target demographics.

Wilbur

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on December 01, 2020, 09:09:37 PM

The Morning Star is still going (just),  available from Martins/McColls in the UK. https://morningstaronline.co.uk/. subscription to the PDF version very reasonable although the program that produces the PDF version crashes every couple of months.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 02, 2020, 01:13:31 AM
comparing him to Prof. Hubert Farnsworth is too kind.

arguably also comparing him to Emil from RoboCop is also too kind, but closer to the mark

I was struck by his inner beauty when I met him.

JamesTC